Russia accuses Facebook, Google of interfering in its elections

midian182

Staff member
In brief: In a move that can be filed under ‘ironic,’ Russia has accused Facebook and Google of interfering with the country’s elections.

Roskomnadzor, Russia's communications regulator, said that the US tech giants allowed political ads to run during regional elections on September 8 despite being warned two days earlier that doing so would violate the country's election laws.

“During the monitoring of mass media on voting day, on Google’s search engine, on Facebook and on YouTube, political advertising was established,” said the agency.

“Such actions can be seen as interference in Russia’s sovereign affairs and hindering the conduct of democratic elections in the Russian Federation.”

According to Russian media, Aleksandr Malkevich, a high-ranking member of Russia’s Civic Chamber, said that Google “displayed ads for the so-called ‘Smart Voting’ system promoted by opposition figure and video blogger Aleksey Navalny—these ads are said to have been shown to users searching for data on the local elections in Moscow.”

Russia, of course, is well known for interfering in other countries’ democratic processes. The government’s plan to disconnect itself from the internet, meanwhile, hasn’t helped its reputation when it comes to censorship and monitoring citizens’ online activities. Roskomnadzor has also warned Facebook and Twitter that they’re violating Russian laws by not storing data in the country and has threatened to ban Google for not connecting its search engine to the federal database of banned websites.

Roskomnadzor said there would be an “adequate reaction” if the companies published the political ads. The situation will now be “thoroughly examined” by the relevant commission in the Russian Parliament.

Permalink to story.

Russia is well within its rights to do exactly what China did.

If you don't like Google, Facebook, Youtube or Twitter... BAN THEM.

Then I'll sit back and watch as your own citizens overthrow you from their thirst of knowledge and debauchery.

The metadata clearly proves to Trump's sycophants that Russia absolutely meddled in our election, but from all the evidence I've seen, it was done in a relatively "legal" way. Running "fake news" or overhyping negative stories about Hillary Clinton isn't illegal. Paying trolls to troll news radio and talk shows isn't illegal. Taking money from foreign special interests isn't illegal.

This is part of the reason I support China's banning of American media and social media - especially anything it deems inappropriate, white supremacist or violent.

If Russia doesn't want its elections interfered with then they'd better do the same.

The metadata clearly proves to Trump's sycophants that Russia absolutely meddled in our election, but from all the evidence I've seen, it was done in a relatively "legal" way. Running "fake news" or overhyping negative stories about Hillary Clinton isn't illegal. Paying trolls to troll news radio and talk shows isn't illegal. Taking money from foreign special interests isn't illegal.

This is part of the reason I support China's banning of American media and social media - especially anything it deems inappropriate, white supremacist or violent.

If Russia doesn't want its elections interfered with then they'd better do the same.

If an american paid for those ads, then no, not illegal. If a foreigner - individual, NGO, or government - paid for those ads, then yes, it is very much illegal for them to pay for political ads in the US (regardless of content).

If an american paid for those ads, then no, not illegal. If a foreigner - individual, NGO, or government - paid for those ads, then yes, it is very much illegal for them to pay for political ads in the US (regardless of content).
Wrong... Facebook itself, Youtube...all internet companies with social media in no way are liable for stories run on their platforms.

and that's why the government is trying to control the internet.

Correct, technically it isn't illegal for foreign powers to interfere with our election. Then again nothing international is "illegal", like for example other countries giving money to presidential candidates or even annexing US land. You won't find anything on the book about these matters because it's assumed that attacks against our country would be condoned by our leaders.

Nothing says guilty like wild accusations! "No I'm not, you are", I know you are, but what am I?" Real mature
Are you talking about US and 2016 election? Because that's exactly how it looks like after blatantly interfering in Russia's 90's election, back then didn't even bother to hide and arrogantly plastered it over TIME magazine and made movie "Spinning Boris". And of course dozens of other countries US interfered.

Russia calls itself a "federation" and has "free" elections. Pretty much the only difference between the
old USSR and the Russian Federation, is the flag & a slight uptick in freedom for the common people.
Their government, is still pretty much communist, controlled by "leader for life" Putin. Oh, they have
elections, but as with the USSR, HE'S pretty much the only one on the ballot.

Then I'll sit back and watch as your own citizens overthrow you from their thirst of knowledge and debauchery.

You want to tell me how they will overthrow Russia OR China?

Of COURSE the US meddles in Russia's elections. The US has an open policy of regime change for many countries around the world. Iraq, Iran, Libya, Syria, Kosovo, Ukraine, North Korea, Venezuela to name a few. There is credible evidence that the US is heavily involved in the recent Hong Kong riots.

On the other hand, the Mueller investigation looked into allegations of Russian interference in the US elections, and found almost nothing. I guarantee that if Mueller found genuine Russian interference, it would have been all over the Internet.

The Russian influence allegations are just red herrings to distract people from the real foreign influence in US elections. Over 50% of all Democratic party and 25% of Republican party funds come from sources with with foreign allegiances.
https://www.jpost.com/US-Elections/...-all-donations-to-the-Democratic-party-468774

I doubt that even 1% of all Demo/Repub funding comes from Russian sources.

Another problem is the large number of dual citizens in key US government positions. Schumer, Schiff, Nadler, Mnuchin, Breyer, Kagan, Bader-Ginsburg, to name a few. Many have an antipathy for traditional America. For example Nadler chaired a House investigation into so-called white nationalism (whatever that is) which he deemed is indistinguishable from terrorism.The obvious conclusion is that he regards the US founding fathers as terrorists, which meas he doesn't identify as an American.

Russia, you don't like Facebook or Google? Just paint them over with black paint on the screen of your monitor. Done - you just banned them.

Of COURSE the US meddles in Russia's elections. The US has an open policy of regime change for many countries around the world. Iraq, Iran, Libya, Syria, Kosovo, Ukraine, North Korea, Venezuela to name a few. There is credible evidence that the US is heavily involved in the recent Hong Kong riots.

On the other hand, the Mueller investigation looked into allegations of Russian interference in the US elections, and found almost nothing. I guarantee that if Mueller found genuine Russian interference, it would have been all over the Internet.

The Russian influence allegations are just red herrings to distract people from the real foreign influence in US elections. Over 50% of all Democratic party and 25% of Republican party funds come from sources with with foreign allegiances.
https://www.jpost.com/US-Elections/...-all-donations-to-the-Democratic-party-468774

I doubt that even 1% of all Demo/Repub funding comes from Russian sources.

Another problem is the large number of dual citizens in key US government positions. Schumer, Schiff, Nadler, Mnuchin, Breyer, Kagan, Bader-Ginsburg, to name a few. Many have an antipathy for traditional America. For example Nadler chaired a House investigation into so-called white nationalism (whatever that is) which he deemed is indistinguishable from terrorism.The obvious conclusion is that he regards the US founding fathers as terrorists, which meas he doesn't identify as an American.
:facepalm: Talk about spin.

I get a bit confused by elections and the concept of democracy these days. The Russians influenced the US elections but that's OK with you Americans because Trump apparently didn't know about it. Over here in the UK our prime minister has just shut down our parliament to avoid opposition in leaving Europe while in Russian they simply jail their opposition leaders. My favourite though is the new Ukrainian president who's a comedian who used to play a president on TV. I don't think you could make this stuff up.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ..... Comrade

For many centuries Russians were denied freedom. Bravest of them killed exiled and imprisoned.
And such degrading inhumane practices have bred a new type of population: indifferent to freedom, cowardly, and unable to respect human rights in a broad spectrum.

And if you disagree with my statement, hey I didnt say all, just the majority. Best of them always fled looking for a more liberal and lawful societies.

I reread my answer and realized it isnt very clear what I meant to say. And what I meant to say was they wont overthrow their governments. They will suffer and suffer more.They will be abused or killed but they will sit in their houses quietly hoping someone will challenge the government, And when they eventually do, they ll just spill the blood mixing the blood of the guilty wit the blood of the innocent.

Slave spirit is strong. It grows into traditions and the way of life. People at the bottom feel small looking at someone in power rich as if this is how it ought to be. I lack words to explain this better but it is enough to say it is sad and disgusting.

But they got internet, and hopefully it changes things slowly. And hopefully one day they learn to do it effectively, but most importantly peacefully. there are more of them growing but on a global scale still so few. And theyr are young. They are easy to corrupt and to buy out(the best of them at least). They can be broken by prison time. They can be just broken inside, giving up and settling for what they got now or a bit better choice--leaving the country.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Russian terms of office. Exactly how often does Vladimir Putin get re-crowned, "Emperor of Russia". :rolleyes:

Back