Russia hacked Winter Olympics and tried to frame North Korea, say intelligence officials

midian182

Staff member

We know there was a cyberattack on the 2018 Winter Olympics' opening ceremony, but the identity of those responsible wasn’t certain. While the finger of suspicion seemed to point at North Korea, it seems that once again the culprit was Russia.

According to a report in the Washington Post, which cited officials from the US Intelligence community, Russia’s Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU) compromised 300 Olympic-related computers in early February. This came after a phishing campaign targeting Olympic officials in December, and the hacking of South Korean routers in January.

On the day of the opening ceremony, February 9, new malware was launched that disrupted internet and broadcast systems and took down the ticketing site for 12 hours, preventing people from printing their tickets. Ultimately, however, the disruption was minimal.

The Russians reportedly used North Korean IP addresses to make it look as if the attacks originated from the hermit country, but many still suspected Russia to be behind a false-flag operation. That theory now appears to have been confirmed.

Analysts say the reason behind Russia’s actions was the Olympic ban put in place over state-sponsored doping accusations. Some of its athletes were permitted to compete under the designation “Olympic Athletes from Russia,” but weren’t allowed to display the country’s flag on their uniforms, and no national anthem was played if they won medals.

The GRU is thought to have been responsible for a 2016 breach of Olympian medical records; an act that was also motivated by the ban.

At the time of the opening ceremony, Russia’s foreign ministry denied the country had anything to do with the attacks. "We know that Western media are planning pseudo-investigations on the theme of ‘Russian fingerprints’ in hacking attacks on information resources related to the hosting of the Winter Olympic Games in the Republic of Korea," it said.

Permalink to story.

We can only hope that Russia and N. Korea start dukeing it out, that would be an interesting confrontation, and it's doubtful that Kim Jung Un would come out on top against a bad guy like Putin .....

We can only hope that Russia and N. Korea start dukeing it out, that would be an interesting confrontation, and it's doubtful that Kim Jung Un would come out on top against a bad guy like Putin .....
This could turn into a very lengthy reply. But for now, suffice it to say, this is standard operating procedure for both KGB & CIA, trying to leverage actors in a situation into adversaries for their own gain. Since the US and North Korea are already hostiles, it wouldn't take much of further provocation to turn them into combatants.

And I know the "KGB" supposedly doesn't exist anymore, to which I say "bullnyet".

Those things said, I still secretly hope Trump will pump a half dozen nukes into Pyongyang, the very next time Kim Jong Un, has one of his over the top military parades. KABOOM, problems solved.

Then all the senate has to do, is impeach Trump for "mental instability", with a bit of a wink and a nudge. After a quick change of signage at Mar Lago from, "Country Club", to "Sanitarium".,Trump retires, "for the good of the country", and builds his presidential Library on the premises. We of course apologize profusely for his reckless disrespect for NK's sovereignty, and offer to send them all the uncontaminated bottled water they could possibly drink, along with a boatload or two of Band-Aids! (y)

Highlight of the Trump library memorial? Funny you should ask. A room dedicated to mural sized photographs of the enormous crater which used to be Pyongyang. Let's make it right in the foyer! :D

All I can say kidz is, "just be thankful I don't have the 'football' "...;)

Last edited:
5 years ago China hacking was all the craze, now it's Russia. In another couple years maybe it will be Canada?

Last edited:
5 years ago China hacking was all the craze, now it's Russia. In another couple years maybe it will be Canada?
All major countries are always doing this back and fourth, whoever the media wants us to hate more is who your hear about doing it. I could see them turning on Canada if they vote out the US liberal sensation, Peoplekinds It of the year Justin Trudeau.

All major countries are always doing this back and fourth, whoever the media wants us to hate more is who your hear about doing it. I could see them turning on Canada if they vote out the US liberal sensation, Peoplekinds It of the year Justin Trudeau.

He is an Indian, not a Canadian.

No, as Canada is a Western country which do not OPENLY take part in such malicious activities. China, Russia, and North Korea (although tech limited) are the biggest culprits from the East because they have the most leverage at the world stage.

I really don't think it would turn out that way, if kim does anything to russia-putin.
It wouldn't take russia very long to come on over and start a war with them and end them quickly.
Their alliance isn't as tight like it use to be and all it would take is a good back-stab to get the fire works going.

Norweign athletes took a lot of gold medals by using 6000 doses of "cure against asthma". Seems all of their athletes have asthma. What a tragedy. Except this "cure for asthma" is actually doping, which was for some reason allowed, even though it was clear they can't all be sick of asthma.

Did they accuse Norweigns for doping? Did they accuse anyone else? Nope. And every, yes EVERY, top sportsmen takes doping. If they say they don't, they are lying. Talent and training aren't enough anymore. They have to take "cures for this or that" which is actually doping, to compete against others (who also take doping).

So, why did they accuse just Russians for doping? Because olympic committee is just a long hand of politics. Olympics has been more politics than sport for over 80 years. Ever since olympics in Hitler's Germany. Of course, there are still lots of sheep who believe that only Russians were taking doping. There's never shortage of sheep.

I really don't think it would turn out that way, if kim does anything to russia-putin.
It wouldn't take russia very long to come on over and start a war with them and end them quickly.
Their alliance isn't as tight like it use to be and all it would take is a good back-stab to get the fire works going.
You realize of course, you're actually agreeing with the member whose opinion you're disputing, don't you?

Or if you prefer, "dis-Putin-g".:D

Norweign athletes took a lot of gold medals by using 6000 doses of "cure against asthma". Seems all of their athletes have asthma. What a tragedy. Except this "cure for asthma" is actually doping, which was for some reason allowed, even though it was clear they can't all be sick of asthma.

Did they accuse Norweigns for doping? Did they accuse anyone else? Nope. And every, yes EVERY, top sportsmen takes doping. If they say they don't, they are lying. Talent and training aren't enough anymore. They have to take "cures for this or that" which is actually doping, to compete against others (who also take doping).

So, why did they accuse just Russians for doping? Because olympic committee is just a long hand of politics. Olympics has been more politics than sport for over 80 years. Ever since olympics in Hitler's Germany. Of course, there are still lots of sheep who believe that only Russians were taking doping. There's never shortage of sheep.
You sound like like were born the day before yesterday, and know nothing about Russia, performance enhancing drugs, or medicine in general.

While it's true that anti-asthma medications, do expand bronchial passages, they do so only for a relatively short period of time.

Arguably amphetamines also increase certain aspects of performance, notably mental acuity, they won't continue to do so over long periods. Which is why they're sometimes given to fighter pilots to combat fatigue, with the side benefit of making their reflexes quicker, and them paranoid as all hell.

A long term doping program, which is actually what Russia had undertaken, is usualy in conjunction with anabolic steroids, which actually do continue to increase physical ability over a long period of time. "Juicing" doesn't wear off in 12 to 24 hours, it can go on increasing performance for years.

Everytime someone wants to make a stink, they bring up "Hitler" in one context or another. Hitler's most profound, or possibly only interest, was on a single Olympiad.

Conveniently, that's the only Olympiad you chose to research. After WW2, Both the Russians, and their subjects in east Germany, undertook extensive experimentation and use of PEDs in each Olympiad, until this year's, when they were thrown out.

Please do us the courtesy, of checking all the facts, instead of only the ones you find convenient in furtherance of your rant of righteousness.

And BTW, Hitler took a big screwing at those '34 games, in the person of an American black man, one Jesse Owens. https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Jesse+owens&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

In short, try knowing your history before you start spouting it.

The following image is that of an "Ovcharka", also known as a "Caucasian Sheppard". These extremely fierce dogs reach up to 200 pounds. (At least twice the size of your typical German Sheppard), and legend has it, that the Soviets have had an influence on their breeding, as well as using these dogs to patrol the Berlin Wall.

U5dqniVju5XdaLME6zkdB6Cz9Z3NFUZ_1680x8400

Last edited:
While it's true that anti-asthma medications, do expand bronchial passages, they do so only for a relatively short period of time.

Yes, and the Norwegians only needed that effect for a short period of time. To win a particular match. That's exactly how doping is used. Now, if you have exercises on high altitudes, that's not considered doping.

Also, you don't seem to know much about the world of sports. EVERYONE takes doping. If they want to win. Those who don't take doping don't win. Many American runners were on doping. But I didn't hear their entire representation was banned from the Olympics.

So this is clearly a dirty political move. It also shows how corrupt the Olympic committee is, because they allow one or two rich countries to bribe the entire committee. That casts shadows on all the results in the Olympics so far.

It's obvious their integrity is for sale. How do we know they didn't do this all the time? Allowing 2-3 countries to use doping (like they allowed Norwegians this time, and probably Americans) while punishing others. This is a much bigger issue than just banning one country. It shows that Olympic committee is rotten.

You realize of course, you're actually agreeing with the member whose opinion you're disputing, don't you?

Or if you prefer, "dis-Putin-g".:D

I only realized you need to leave well enough alone and quit ****ing with people non stop. Or we could ask the admins here to consider banning you.
I am really tired of you're shitty remarks and enough is enough.

Yes, and the Norwegians only needed that effect for a short period of time. To win a particular match. That's exactly how doping is used. Now, if you have exercises on high altitudes, that's not considered doping.

Also, you don't seem to know much about the world of sports. EVERYONE takes doping. If they want to win. Those who don't take doping don't win. Many American runners were on doping. But I didn't hear their entire representation was banned from the Olympics.

So this is clearly a dirty political move. It also shows how corrupt the Olympic committee is, because they allow one or two rich countries to bribe the entire committee. That casts shadows on all the results in the Olympics so far.

It's obvious their integrity is for sale. How do we know they didn't do this all the time? Allowing 2-3 countries to use doping (like they allowed Norwegians this time, and probably Americans) while punishing others. This is a much bigger issue than just banning one country. It shows that Olympic committee is rotten.
The problem is that the technology to catch people using performance enhancing drugs will ALWAYS lag behind the PED technology in the first place... after all, you can't detect something you don't know about!

The dirty secret that people in sports don't want the public to know is that EVERYONE takes some sort of PED who is involved in sport. However, most of those PEDs are either undetectable, unknown to detectors, or LEGAL (like those asthma meds).

The reason a drug is considered "legal" to the IOC is not so simple...some are illegal because of health concerns (ie: studies show that prolonged usage will cause cancer, etc), some are illegal because they are known to mask the detection of other illegal PEDs (Sudafed used to be popular as it masked some anabolic steroids from being detected), and some are illegal simply because they provide an unfair advantage to an athlete (what most people think is the only reason - but it is NOT).

Remember, the reason people aren't allowed to use PEDs was SUPPOSED to be because of the long-term health concerns of these drugs.... We all know the stories of the sad fates of the East German swim team from the 70s, etc... It was never really about "fairness"...

If scientists could come up with a PED that had 0 health effects - we'd all want to be taking it!!! After all, sports is about being the best ("sportsmanship" has no place in something that involves so much money) so it's actually in everyone's best interest that PEDs continue to be used - how else can they be tested? Of course, the guinea pigs are the athletes themselves... sad, but it's not like they don't know the risks - they simply think it's worth it!

People that dope up to win in any sport and if caught "eventually" they are the losers.
Consider the case of Lance Armstrong
So I have to accept that you think the the downhill races aren't at high altitudes?

Well I think it's pretty darn obvious I don't know as much as you do.

Or maybe, it just shows the Olympic Committee is just as sick of Russia's crap like summarily invading the Ukraine and propping up the Assad dictatorship in Syria, as is the rest of the world.

I saw documentary on PBS, about Russian and East German doping programs during the cold war. The American women's swim tea claimed they thought they has stumbled into the men's locker room, the Russian lady swimmer's voices were so deep from testosterone. The East German and Russian ladies were also interviewed, and they claimed they had life long health problems from the doping program. But I'm sure you think that'a a hoax as well.

Here is a video concerning the marking of the ladies figure stating finals at Sochi. The author, ("content provider", as the children say), insists the Russian lady's scores were heavily biased in her favor. Since you seem to know an awful lot about sport, why don't you follow along and tell us if the scores were accurate, and the lady who posted ,the video knows what she is talking about, or is also, "biased against the Russians"?

Last edited:
I only realized you need to leave well enough alone and quit ****ing with people non stop. Or we could ask the admins here to consider banning you.
I am really tired of you're shitty remarks and enough is enough.
Why is that? Because what you consider my "sh!tty remarks, are simply statements that don't agree with yours?.

Next, who exactly is "WE", "me myself, and I"? And BTW, you're quite welcome to fact check anything I post, and then rat if you don't like it.

Back