Russian hacker allegedly behind LinkedIn hack arrested in Czech Republic

midian182

Staff member

LinkedIn said on Wednesday that police in the Czech Republic recently arrested a man allegedly responsible for the 2012 hack on the business social network that resulted in over 117 million members’ email and password combinations posted online.

Acting on behalf of the FBI and Interpol, authorities arrested 29-year-old Russian citizen, Yevgeniy N, on October 5 in Prague after Interpol issued a Red Notice against him - indicating he is wanted for extradition. He is also suspected of attacks on other US websites.

"Following the 2012 breach of LinkedIn member information, we have remained actively involved with the FBI's case to pursue those responsible," LinkedIn representatives said in a statement. "We are thankful for the hard work and dedication of the FBI in its efforts to locate and capture the parties believed to be responsible for this criminal activity."

Video footage (below) shows police arresting the alleged hacker in a restaurant located within a Prague hotel. He had driven a luxury car into the city and was traveling with his girlfriend. The suspect didn’t resist arrest but had to be taken to hospital for a short stay after he collapsed due to an undisclosed medical condition. He is currently in a Czech jail.

Two days after the arrest, the US publicly accused Russia of being behind high-profile attacks on government organizations, including the Democratic National Committee hack. It’s unclear if his apprehension influenced the US Intelligence agencies’ statement.

Yevgeniy N isn’t connected to the recent breaches but he may be extradited to the US, something that Russia is apparently trying to block.

Permalink to story.

I understand that taking advantage of a vulnerable system is wrong, yes. But shouldn't it be linkedin's fault to being with for having sad security?

BRAVO!!! Catching the bad guy is always good news. And, are you serious? blaming the company because a criminal broke in? Hope you're so optimistic when they drain your bank accounts .....

BRAVO!!! Catching the bad guy is always good news. And, are you serious? blaming the company because a criminal broke in? Hope you're so optimistic when they drain your bank accounts .....
Well... how many stories have you heard of banks getting hacked? Sure, you do read the often victim of phishing and giving away ALL their security codes but the bank is secure because that is their business, to keep your money safe. If someone actually hacked the bank and got a hold on my account and "drain" my account, they will have to answer for it and not myself.

Let me use another example, now that you like banks so much, if your card gets cloned in an ATM the bank is the one responsible, for not being able to secure the service they give. Sure, you'll get your card blocked and sent another one and have the inconvenience of not having the card for a couple of days but you don't loose anything.

BRAVO!!! Catching the bad guy is always good news.

Indeed! Although I don't think russia is to blame just because a russian citizen decided to hack linked in. Just look at how many hackers are in China, can't be blaming the country for something a person did.

Well... how many stories have you heard of banks getting hacked? Sure, you do read the often victim of phishing and giving away ALL their security codes but the bank is secure because that is their business, to keep your money safe. If someone actually hacked the bank and got a hold on my account and "drain" my account, they will have to answer for it and not myself.

Let me use another example, now that you like banks so much, if your card gets cloned in an ATM the bank is the one responsible, for not being able to secure the service they give. Sure, you'll get your card blocked and sent another one and have the inconvenience of not having the card for a couple of days but you don't loose anything.

According the the Federal Reserve Bank and Federal Home Loan Banks an average of 10 banks get successfully attacked every day and it is a constant battle to repel them successfully. No, we have not seen the kind of scale where they shut down their records access, but they do successfully steal quite a bit of money. Don't fool yourself, banking security is nothing to brag about. And by the way genius, it isn't just banks. Financial institutions have been a target since 2000 and remain one. And by the way, you are having to deal with it. Where do you think banks get their money? The same place Government get theirs ... From all of us.

The simple fact is and remains, there is no system ever invented that cannot be reverse engineered. That process is a business and profession all unto itself. Apple cannot absolutely secure their products, the Federal Government cannot either. There is only one foolproof prevention ... pull the plug

Civic's lesson over .... now go do your homework or you're going to bed without dinner!

Back