Samsung announces the Galaxy A9, a mid-range smartphone with four rear cameras

Polycount

What just happened? Samsung today announced the latest addition to its A-series smartphone lineup: a mid-range device dubbed the Galaxy A9. Though the A9's release date is still elusive, we know it will have four cameras, a 6.3" display, 6GB of RAM, and a Snapdragon 660 processor - all for around £550 ($725).

Yesterday, we reported on a leak for an upcoming Samsung device called the "A9 Star Pro." The leak contained images and hardware information about the device, suggesting it would be a mid-range smartphone with a whopping four cameras.

While leakers seem to have got the name of the smartphone wrong -- it's just called the Galaxy A9 -- Samsung officially announced the device today, and the company has confirmed many of the rumors. Perhaps most importantly, the A9 does indeed contain four cameras, each serving a slightly different purpose.

Camera number one is a 24mpx "main camera," camera two is actually a 5mpx depth sensor, the third camera is a 10mpx "telephoto" camera with upgraded optical zoom, and the final camera has an ultrawide, 120-degree lens.

From a hardware perspective, as we noted on Wednesday, there's nothing particularly special here. The A9 has a Snapdragon 660 processor, 6GB of RAM, 128GB of base storage, and a 6.3" "Super AMOLED" display. Battery capacity information wasn't included in yesterday's leaks, but Samsung claims the A9 will ship with a 3,800mAh battery. Unfortunately for tech enthusiasts, the A9 will not feature wireless charging.

As you can probably tell, none of these specs (barring, perhaps, the RAM) are all that exciting, and for around £549 ($725), you might expect a bit more. However, the A9 is certainly cheaper than other flagship offerings from Samsung and Apple (such as the iPhone XS Max), so it may just be worth a buy for some users.

If you're one of those users, you won't be able to get your hands on the A9 just yet; Samsung says the device will launch sometime in mid-November, but it's not clear where. Some outlets have claimed the A9 will be UK-only at first, but Samsung itself merely says their new phone will be available in "selected markets." We can probably expect to learn more about the device's availability in the coming weeks.

Permalink to story.

Can't Wait for a phone manufacturer to make having one rear camera only as a selling point, because at this rate people will start complaining their phones are too bumpy and everything will go the other way

Can't Wait for a phone manufacturer to make having one rear camera only as a selling point, because at this rate people will start complaining their phones are too bumpy and everything will go the other way

That sounds like something Google could do with the pixel devices. I miss the camera on my Pixel 2 after being on my Note 9 for a couple months now. It was just so damn easy to point and shoot without a worry. I actually have to take my time with photos on my Note :(

Phone cameras are the new razor blades. 3 cameras! 4 cameras! Our ENTIRE BACK is a camera! The box your phone came in, that's also a camera!

I just don't get why they do not offer removable sensor. Just like the RED Hydrogen, ability to attach your own sensor or even lenses to enhance your shooting would be pretty good. I think phones should be little more modular...

SD Slot + SIM1/SIM2 slot
Removable battery
Changable Sensor or Lens attachments
Audio Jack for those rare occasions when you really need that OG' ****

$725 a mid-range?!?!?!? They like to act like apple... in 3 years, $1000 will be mid-range because inflation = $100/year.
All these companies *love* Apple as Apple can take the heat for high prices but also get the public used to it. Then the other companies can release a slightly lower priced flagship or a still mega expensive 'mid range' phone to little protest.

Kinda like my older brother breaking in my parents so I took less heat later on. Thanks bro!

Back