Samsung chief: We'll 'never' acquire WebOS

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung is not interested in purchasing or licensing WebOS from HP, according to the company’s CEO Gee-Sung Choi. At IFA in Berlin earlier this week, the head of the South Korean company said they will “never” seek such a deal and claimed that the latest trend of acquiring an operating system from a third party is simply not right.

The comment was made in response to reporters questioning the CEO regarding speculation of such a purchase and was later confirmed by a Samsung spokesperson, as reported by Bloomberg.

Last month HP dropped a bombshell on the industry by halting their WebOS business and announcing the possibility of a spinoff of their PC division. As a result, HP discontinued their TouchPad tablet and dropped prices as low as $99. Consumers quickly scooped up the remaining devices and HP is said to be planning one last manufacturing run on the TouchPad which will likely all be spoken for through preorders.

Samsung has their own mobile OS to work with, called Bada, and the company is working “harder than people outside think.” In a press release last month, research firm Gartner showed that Samsung’s Bada OS held 1.9 percent of the worldwide smartphone OS market share, ahead of Microsoft but well behind fourth place Research in Motion.

In addition to Bada, Samsung has a new messaging application called ChatON that is scheduled for launch any day now. ChatON will provide basic one-on-one conversations, group chat, group messaging and multimedia sharing across all platforms.

Permalink to story.

Wow never is strong words. They are really crapping on WebOS... I guess HP really has no pull in the electronics community. They were probably the best hope at getting the pretty much solid OS off to a good start. I hope some other compaines work with it at least in the busness segment. It has a really good browser and app switching. I actually like it.

Back