Samsung confirms it is phasing out chargers and headphones from future devices

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: After mocking Apple for removing the charging bricks from its iPhones, Samsung made the same move with its recently unveiled Galaxy S21 series—and the purge isn’t stopping there. The world’s number one smartphone company has confirmed that its future devices will also ship without chargers and earphones.

Rumors that Samsung would “do an Apple” and drop the chargers from its phones arrived months before the iPhone 12 and Galaxy S21 launched. Following the former’s announcement, a mocking Facebook post suggested that Samsung wouldn’t follow suit.

October brought more speculation that Samsung would drop the bundled charger and earphones from the S21, and the move looked more likely when it removed the anti-Apple Facebook post in December.

Surely enough, the Galaxy S21 line was revealed sans charger and earphones last week. During the presentation, the firm hinted that the same fate would fall on its future devices. Now, a Q&A post (via Phone Arena) by Patrick Chomet, EVP and Head of the Customer Experience Office at Samsung, has confirmed it.

“We believe that the gradual removal of charger plugs and earphones from our in-box device packaging can help address sustainable consumption issues and remove any pressure that consumers may feel towards continually receiving unnecessary charger accessories with new phones,” he wrote.

Samsung’s reasons for dropping the charger are the same as Apple’s, including that it’s better for the environment and most people already have compatible chargers from other devices. The company adds that it has been implementing USB-C type charging ports since 2017, so older chargers can still be compatible with the latest Galaxy phones, tablets, etc.

The good news is that Samsung is removing the accessories “gradually,” so don’t expect all its new devices to ship without them. But it appears almost certain that the Galaxy Note 21 will be another flagship without a charger or earphones.

Permalink to story.

Not the wrong decision, but they look foolish for mocking apple, and then following in their footsteps.

Agree.

I am annoyed with the “sustainability” excuse... does anyone really buy that that is the reason? Clearly it’s just a way to cut costs... will the devices sold be cheaper going forward to account for the lack of charger/earbuds? I’m thinking no...
Wasn‘t the point of mandating standardized phone charging connectors to reduce waste by eliminating the need to make a charger for each phone ? The chargers I have for my current phones should be just fine for the next ones, but I would definitely expect the chargers‘ removal to be reflected in the price.

Sadly, I don‘t think that will happen.

I am annoyed with the “sustainability” excuse... does anyone really buy that that is the reason? Clearly it’s just a way to cut costs... will the devices sold be cheaper going forward to account for the lack of charger/earbuds? I’m thinking no...

You HAVE TO make an official statement at some point... And of course it has to be politically+investor+consumer correct.
So yeah, what are they gonna say? That they do it to earn a few more bucks for themselves?

I don't own a single battery-powered USB-C device. If and when I buy one, I'll expect it to come with a charger. If it doesn't I'll take my business elsewhere.

I would definitely expect the chargers‘ removal to be reflected in the price.

Sadly, I don‘t think that will happen.

I might have bought their spin if that was the case, but since the price will most likely stay the same, I think they are full of it.

They're doing everything they can to get people not to buy their products...And it's not going well.

Nothing to do with the fact they can get more smaller boxes in the same sized shipping crates to make MORE money?? sceptical? me? never...

It’s not an excuse at all. People throw away thousands of tonnes of chargers every year. I myself have dozens of old USB A chargers that will also inevitably end up in landfill.

Yes these companies will save money on chargers, that doesn’t mean it’s not the right thing to do.

Personally I don’t understand why people are demanding companies bundle every electronic device they sell with a charger. Well, unless they don’t care about what they throw away.

Of course it's a move to cut costs or better said, to increase profit margins. Only noobs believe that these corporations want a cleaner environment. The environment is as ducked as it is BECAUSE OF THESE CORPORATIONS!

I bought an M series Samsung recently and noticed it didn't came with an earphone. That is warranted because it costs a bit less than an equivalent A series. I have them both side-to-side and even run androbench to check the UFS speed to check if they put a crappy UFS in the cheaper M series. I'm surprised they didn't.

honestly I don't mind if samsung remove the charger and even the usb-c cable for midrangers like M series and A series. after all I understand that in emerging areas like Indonesia and India, sub $280 phones are the main targets and every dollar really counts.

but no earphones and chargers for a $1000 phone? that's a different story.

Not getting a charger is okay if you only buy from one company, but if you want fast charging and flip flop often, you'll hate this.

I bought an M series Samsung recently and noticed it didn't came with an earphone. That is warranted because it costs a bit less than an equivalent A series. I have them both side-to-side and even run androbench to check the UFS speed to check if they put a crappy UFS in the cheaper M series. I'm surprised they didn't.

honestly I don't mind if samsung remove the charger and even the usb-c cable for midrangers like M series and A series. after all I understand that in emerging areas like Indonesia and India, sub $280 phones are the main targets and every dollar really counts.

but no earphones and chargers for a $1000 phone? that's a different story.

We got my wife a Samsung S20 FE, that didn't come with headphones either, but it did come with a charger.

I just preordered the S21 Ultra, doesn't come with either charger or headphones but the Buds Pro come free with preorder so I'm happy.

What I'm finding annoying/ confusing now is the charging tech that phones are using and what's compatible with what, are phones still using QuickCharge tech from Qualcomm?
I think I saw Samsung S21 range is using USB Power Delivery 3?

Its just when a phone is rated for 25W charging, or 40W charging, you then need to find a charger compatible with that to benefit, so its fine that they're removing chargers bundles, but the principle behind universal charger dissolves a bit when it's not as universal as you think.

Right this is purely a means to reduce cost, the charger/headphones are not expensive but spread over millions of devices/sales it amounts to a substantial cost reduction and increase in profits.

Had their chief competitor not taken this action Samsung would not be either. I hope people opt for 3rd party chargers and headphones and not reward Samsung for making the purchase of a new phone less convenient for the consumer.

It’s not an excuse at all. People throw away thousands of tonnes of chargers every year. I myself have dozens of old USB A chargers that will also inevitably end up in landfill.

Yes these companies will save money on chargers, that doesn’t mean it’s not the right thing to do.

Personally I don’t understand why people are demanding companies bundle every electronic device they sell with a charger. Well, unless they don’t care about what they throw away.
Fine I will stop demanding it when Samsung reduces its prices by the same amount as the current retail value of the items that were previously bundled with their phones.

Fine I will stop demanding it when Samsung reduces its prices by the same amount as the current retail value of the items that were previously bundled with their phones.
Are you that petty really? Just learn to recycle! This isn’t about Samsung’s profits, it’s about the health of the planet we live on. We should be demanding these companies make less chargers.

But no, apparently your hatred of a corporation is more important than the environment.

Sheesh, Samsung could invent fusion power and people like you would be demanding they dare not make any money out of it.

Nice, every generation the prices go up, display this time goes down, no charger, but again price up.... 800 euro starting... come on, this is juat a phone...

Nothing wrong with phasing out in-box headphones and chargers. Plenty wrong with phasing out the traditional headphone jack and the USB-C socket. At least that's my personal opinion.

Back