Samsung continues to lead global smartphone market despite quarterly decline

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Counterpoint Research in its latest industry report found that global smartphone shipments grew 19 percent year over year in the most recent quarter to 329 million units. Samsung led the way with 57.9 million units shipped during the three-month period ending June 30, followed closely by Xiaomi with 53 million units shipped.

Apple trailed in third place with 48.9 million iPhones shipped, followed by Oppo at 34 million units shipped and Vivo at 33 million.

It wasn’t all sunshine and unicorns, however, as global smartphone shipments collectively fell by seven percent quarter over quarter. According to Counterpoint, ongoing component shortages and continued Covid-19 restrictions in Asia and Europe are largely responsible for the decline.

Apple’s iPhone shipments were down 18 percent QoQ but up 30 percent YoY as demand for the iPhone 12 series remains high. The company’s careful management and strong relationships with suppliers has largely kept it immune from the ongoing chip shortage, but it’ll be interesting to see how Apple manages the situation moving forward, especially if the matter doesn’t ease soon.

Counterpoint’s report, at least as it pertains to Apple, is largely in line with the company’s recently released earnings report. It also jives with another recent report from Counterpoint that focuses on the US market and OnePlus’ success in the states.

Permalink to story.

As far as the Android market, with hundreds of choices, Samsung literally sits on the top.

But there's only one iPhone.

The gap between budget and premium smartphones is closing and eventually there will be less reasons to upgrade, I'd rather pay $200 for a smartphone that does 95% of what I need than $700 for 99%.

The gap between budget and premium smartphones is closing and eventually there will be less reasons to upgrade, I'd rather pay $200 for a smartphone that does 95% of what I need than $700 for 99%.

The real divide between Budget and Premium smartphones at this point is really in their Ecosystem strength, reliability and build quality.

Budget phones offer 4K cameras with 60FPS recording and thanks to Android offer high expandability.

Budget Phones offer good battery life.

Budget phones offer secure logins with Biometrics.

Exactly.

My Pixel 4a5G has shown me that I dont need that much, performance wise.

Granted, I get some hiccups here and there, specially with the camera, but its very usable.

Exactly.

My Pixel 4a5G has shown me that I dont need that much, performance wise.

Granted, I get some hiccups here and there, specially with the camera, but its very usable.
Unless you play with the phone, you don't need so much power. With my Pixel 4 XL I am very happy. Still no 5G here.
Before this Pixel I had a Samsung S8. Good phone but very pricey for what it is. At the end I realized that I never needed all that power for my normal activities with a phone.

As I've said before, the gap between two generations of flagships are getting thin.

if you have a S10 5G you don't really need to upgrade to S20 let alone S21. it's a different story when you're talking about Samsung S7 and S9.

probably two things I really hate: every android phones now are getting taller and heavier. it's now impossible to fully operate a phone with one hand. 20.5:9 vs 19.5:9 might not seems much, but when you're holding it, trust me you can tell the difference and it's not subtle.

Back