Samsung executive confirms that there will be a Galaxy Note 8

midian182

Staff member

We now know that the Note 7 fires were the result of defects in batteries from two different suppliers, so what does it mean for the future of the brand? There had been rumors that the loss of public trust would see Samsung put the Note name into permanent retirement, but one of the firm's executives says this isn’t going to be the case.

Speaking to CNET, Samsung’s mobile unit chief DJ Koh announced that there will be a successor to the infamous handset. "I will bring back a better, safer and very innovative Note 8," he said, confirming last year's reports that the brand wasn't dead.

The Note 7 has cost Samsung around $5 billion in lost sales (though it didn’t affect the company’s record Q4 2016 results), damaged consumers’ faith in the firm, and has been the subject of much ridicule – Samsung tried to erase YouTube videos of a GTA V mod that turned the handset into an in-game bomb. But the Korean giant isn’t abandoning the phablet, which, according to Koh, still has “lots and lots of loyal customers.” Samsung says that despite the recalls and updates designed to render the handsets useless, three percent of Note 7 owners still haven’t handed in their devices.

Samsung’s new eight-step battery validation process should ensure that the next Note avoids its predecessor’s issues. Releasing a problem-free smartphone would help consumers forget all about the Note 7 – even Google’s excellent Pixel phones reportedly come with hardware bugs – and, hopefully, Koh’s talk of an innovative Note 8 will turn out to be more than an empty promise.

Permalink to story.

I don't see why they shouldn't. People tend to have very short memories so by the time they've finished ogling, staring slack jawed and throwing their money at the SGS8 then N8 rolls around they're certainly never going to remember the N7 debacle.

I don't see why they shouldn't. People tend to have very short memories so by the time they've finished ogling, staring slack jawed and throwing their money at the SGS8 then N8 rolls around they're certainly never going to remember the N7 debacle.

It really sounds like Samsung is going to implement some new policies regarding quality control... so after they test their batteries, I'm going to wait a couple months so see if anything crops up... which, I believe will be unlikely anyways considering their new testing phase. I'll buy one after I know they are okay. lol

This would be the best time to buy Samsung! You know their QC is going to be through the roof. You may very well be buying the most well-built phone on the market.

It really sounds like Samsung is going to implement some new policies regarding quality control... so after they test their batteries, I'm going to wait a couple months so see if anything crops up... which, I believe will be unlikely anyways considering their new testing phase. I'll buy one after I know they are okay. lol
Yeah. I'm sure you won't be sorry. Even before I know much about it, I have absolutely no doubt it'll be a killer device (not in the sense the N7 was). I'm not gonna upgrade this year, I did that last year so I'll set my sights on the S9, or whatever Android device tickles my fancy. It doesn't have to be Samsung but if my past purchasing is anything to go by it most likely will be.

Back