Samsung Experience Shops to open in 1,400 Best Buy locations

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung is preparing to open 1,400 mini-stores inside Best Buy locations across the US by the end of the summer as part of their continued effort to crank up the heat against Apple. The stores, known as Samsung Experience Shops, will be prominently featured near the front of the retailer’s stores. Financial terms of the deal weren’t disclosed

Each mini-store will take up around 460 square feet of floor space (depending on the size of the Best Buy store) and will be staffed with trained Samsung employees. Ketrina Dunagan, vice president of retail marketing for Samsung Mobile’s US unit, said the staff will demonstrate new features on the upcoming Galaxy S4 in addition to showcasing how to transfer content between laptops, tablets and smart televisions.

samsung presses apple fight mini stores buy apple samsung best buy retail stores

Dunagan said this is the company’s first opportunity to demonstrate connected mobile products to customers in a location with educated Samsung employees. Furthermore, the executive highlighted the fact that nearly 70 percent of the US population lives within 10 miles of a Best Buy retail store. It’s the final step in a three-part plan that includes products, marketing and now retail, Dunagan said.

Apple has found overwhelming success with their standalone Apple Stores all over the globe, something that other electronics makers have proven nearly impossible to replicate. At present, Cupertino has more than 400 stores worldwide; 150 of them are outside of the US. These stores were responsible for attracting 121 million visitors in the first quarter alone, bringing in $6.4 billion in sales.

Permalink to story.

It may work, that is... if they are staffed by Samsung employees and not your average no-nothing, useless warranty-pushing, overpriced-accessory pushing, blue shirt wearing Worst Buy employee.

It may work, that is... if they are staffed by Samsung employees and not your average no-nothing, useless warranty-pushing, overpriced-accessory pushing, blue shirt wearing Worst Buy employee.

Lol, wow, tell us how you really feel :)

I agree with you though... Best Buy wouldn't have such a showrooming problem if their employees could answer some questions. When people are going to throw down hundreds on a gadget (or more on a TV/home entertainment) they want to know what they're getting, and they want to feel the sales person knows more about the product then they do.

I've walked into Best Buy completely intending to buy something and I've left because the guy helping me didn't know any more then what was written on the tags.

How brilliant is this idea though... Samsung doesn't have to find real estate for their stores. They don't have to spend a ton getting them ready, or marketing them. They're going to plop themselves right in the path of people looking to buy electronics. I wonder if Amazon isn't kicking themselves right now.

I don't like apple at all. But my girlfriend is a fan and I have been to the apple store, they have top notch customer service. They have a system of making appointments and answer all your questions accordingly.

Best buy on the other hand is run by low paid employees who really don't care and I don't blame them.

I know people who don't regard Best Buy employees as highly as you.

Back