Samsung introduces The Wall Professional and 3D LED Cinema displays

Greg S

Back at CES 2018, Samsung brought along a massive and modular 146-inch MicroLED TV. Now almost a month later, Samsung Electronics is at Integrated Systems Europe 2018 and has a new variant of its cinema size display dubbed The Wall Professional.

The Wall Professional's modular assembly allows for configurations both smaller and larger than the standard 146-inch Wall TV. Peak brightness is able to reach 1,600 nits, making it roughly equivalent to around 5,000 lumen projectors. However, MicroLED panels effectively achieve infinite contrast since black corresponds to off and white is a combination of color channels.

One of the major additions to the professional version is a content management platform called MagicInfo. Multimedia content can be built and scheduled for deployment across commercial displays over a network. Error detection is built in and offers additional troubleshooting features that could prove useful should content delivery stop working.

In March 2017, Samsung launched the first HDR Cinema LED screen, and is now bringing the next generation movie displays. In addition to the Wall Professional display, Samsung is also taking on 3D movies with the first large format 3D LED screen. Viewing angles are particularly important for 3D content, and the 3D Cinema LED display is designed to provide all movie-goers the same experience no matter where they are seated in the theater.

MicroLED is not available in anything comparable to LG's consumer line of OLED TVs, but it certainly has the advantage of scaling much more easily. Large format OLED TVs are still difficult to achieve a high yield on and are still not readily available in modular configurations.

Permalink to story.

I think counting OLED out at this point is rather short-sighted. As I see it, it is likely that the reason that they introduced this in a professional line is that it is outrageously expensive to produce. OLEDs produced with an ink jet printing process are not that far off. An ink jet printing process will be far less expensive than producing displays with micro LED. As such, it will leave companies like LG with more money to put into improvements in materials.

The market that Samsung is appealing to with 3D has basically disappeared as 3D, even in theaters, is becoming rarer. As I see it, theaters only have themselves to blame as projectionists are, apparently, able to control the brightness of what they project and have consistently set light levels far too low for effective 3D.

Time will tell where this goes; however, I think Samsung has a strong tide it is trying to go against.

I would like to know why "wiyosaya" made that disparaging comment about 3D. Normal vision is 3D. Flat 2D with everything squashed down to a single plane is a gross distortion. All movies and television should be in 3D.

Active modular theatrical 3D screens with no projectors, whether LED, OLED, or something else, are the future of theater presentation.

Good lord some thing like this would cost $10,000 or more.

Having wall TV is for offices and businesses not cunsermers.

The technology has LONG way to go before cunsermer can buy wall TV for $2,000 to put in their home.

I would like to know why "wiyosaya" made that disparaging comment about 3D. Normal vision is 3D. Flat 2D with everything squashed down to a single plane is a gross distortion. All movies and television should be in 3D.
You are not getting "Help me Obi-wan Kenobi. You're my only hope." 3D in the theater is an illusion - not a holographic projection. When 3D is a near equivalent of ST:TNG's Holodeck, then 3D will have a market. VR is better than current 3D schemes, IMO.

I guess you must have misunderstood my comment, or perhaps you have never seen a movie in any theater in 3D? Such presentations are tricks of the eye, and have nothing to do with normal, human stereoscopic vision.

Good lord some thing like this would cost $10,000 or more.

Having wall TV is for offices and businesses not cunsermers.

The technology has LONG way to go before cunsermer can buy wall TV for $2,000 to put in their home.
I would say put that price at at least $100,000 or more. $10,000 would put it within the range of most enthusiasts. If that were a target price, Samsung would be insane to market it as a professional only screen, IMO.
Active modular theatrical 3D screens with no projectors, whether LED, OLED, or something else, are the future of theater presentation.
That has been said with every "theatrical" 3D incarnation since theatrical 3D presented itself to the marketplace. Some people are simply not willing to pay extra for what amounts to a 3D illusion projected onto a flat surface.

Nice,but does it support Nvidia 3D vision? come with its own Glasses? a bunch of pairs?

it's been a while but I remember something about 3D being dead? not at my House, not at samsungs house either apparently... talk about having to turn your head to play games ,lol, is that 1080P or 4K.?
I see the 34 footer is 4K still at 60Hz though? what a waste,

Back