Displays Samsung launches 32-inch 4K monitor with AMD FreeSync

Scorpus

Staff member

Samsung has announced that their latest 32-inch Ultra HD monitor, the U32E850R with support for AMD's FreeSync technology, is now available in the United States with a rather hefty price tag of $1,199.

The U32E850R comes with a 32-inch 3840 x 2160 (4K Ultra HD) panel that uses Samsung's PLS technology, which is an alternative to IPS tech that we usually see in high-end displays. This particular monitor has a rated maximum brightness of 350 cd/m², 4ms grey-to-grey response times, 178-degree viewing angles in both directions, and a "typical" contrast ratio of 1000:1.

Samsung has stated that this monitor has a maximum refresh rate of 60 Hz, but there's no word on what the minimum refresh rate is. Hopefully we're looking at a minimum refresh of 30 Hz or lower, giving us the full benefits of AMD's adaptive refresh technology (FreeSync) while gaming.

Inputs to the U32E850R include a DisplayPort 1.2a port, mini-DisplayPort 1.2a, and two HDMI 2.0 ports, plus a USB 3.0 hub with four ports. The stand for this monitor supports height, tilt, swivel and pivot adjustments.

At $1,199, the U32E850R sits a few hundred dollars above budget 32-inch 4K monitors, such as Acer's B326HK that currently retails for $900. Smaller 4K monitors can readily be found for under $500, but if you're after something more sizable and with FreeSync support, Samsung's latest offering might just be for you.

Permalink to story.

noel24

With those prices of decent sized monitors and capable GPUs, We are years from 4K being more of a gimmick for the few rich. I just wait for QWHD to go down to earth prices. They're stuck at 350€ for like two years now?

9Nails

The specs read real nice, if not fairly typical for the brightness and grey-to-grey responses, but I kind of felt put off by the 60 hz refresh maximum. For that much money, I want to be wowed by all the features, because I'm bound to have that much cash tossed into the GPU's as well. I would have liked to see 120 hz of better there.

DaveBG

You meant Your 40' 4K TV that was castrated of TV tuner and scaler and charged $150 extra over the price of the said donor TV?
you can call it whatever but for $600 less, 8 inches more and features this monitor does not even has its pretty good

IAMTHESTIG

It's a monitor, not a television. Next question?

That doesn't really matter. Sure there is a limit to how big of a "monitor" you want when you are only one meter or less away from it, but I think many will agree this monitor doesn't meet that limit. With that PPI text is still going to be fairly small and difficult to read. I don't want to feel like I'm looking at a laptop screen the whole time. Maybe it would work fine for Mac OS if they have good GUI scaling. Windows, does not.