Samsung Odyssey G7 32" Monitor Review

The high refresh panel sounds nice, maybe that same tech will show up in future monitors without the curve and other baggage from this particular model.

I've always been wary of curved monitors not just for how they work as a single monitor, but for how they'd (not) work as soon as you were using two or more of them. For me it's been years since my desk has had just one monitor on it, and I figure most anyone is a candidate to wake up one day and realize they could be more productive or more entertained if they had two screens to work with.

Question: Is there an ultrawide version similar to this that has the same vertical height as a 27" monitor? I find that monitors larger then 27" too big for gaming unless they are ultra-wide.

That curve would kill it for me as well. All points brought up are quite valid especially at the price point. The whole ridiculous pricing for "gaming" gear is at an all time high so things like this need to be well thought out and executed. Samsung is honestly just as guilty as Apple, MS, and heck even auto manufacturers in force feeding you what some lackey in their design departments personally has an opinion on what they like rather than what is best for the consumer. This would be a hard pass for me due to the curve alone.

I tried to change the factory calibration and it seems that the gamma curve is back to normal.

The way to change the factory calibration is to press the menu button once and then hold the up key for 10 seconds.

5LO2dlw.jpg

set 512
sj2wYRw.jpg

my g7 default setting
W6iKvN5.jpg

default setting (sharpen= 56, black equalizer=13, gamma=1)
LItBQTk.jpg

After setting almost values to 512 (sharpen= 56, black equalizer=13, gamma=1)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I must be the weird guy, I love curves (on monitors, too) and I'd love to try one of these. Budget is more of an issue though.
I find immersion in games in movies much better with curved monitors. A matter of taste, maybe?

Well, I must be the weird guy, I love curves (on monitors, too) and I'd love to try one of these. Budget is more of an issue though.
I find immersion in games in movies much better with curved monitors. A matter of taste, maybe?
I wonder what people make of the 1000r curve on the G9, I have a 1800r curved 24" (My first monitor) and a flat 27" - I dont really mind the curved but love the flat 27". Considering the G9 but its tough to know unless one has experienced it already!

I would get color performance and fidelity over contrast ratio. Contrast can be one million and you'd still find a flaw. What has the most impact is brightness and color fidelity imo.

The monitor is not curved so to speak, because the eyes get used to it. Essentially, people who wear glasses get used to their glasses. If you compare this monitor to a flat one, the bias might be to choose the flat one just because "perfect" things tend to drive the ideal desire in us. Just choose curved because is something intricate as technology and the caveat is that not everyone would have this preference, as they got used to flat one. For a tv, I'd choose flat vs curved. PC displays are different because you sit so much close.

Last edited:
IMO the curve is wasted on anything smaller than 32".

I have a 1800R 32" 1440p display currently, and I sit probably somewhere around 28-32" away from it, and for gaming it's just about perfect in how it wraps around my vision and immerses. But anything smaller wouldn't work, which is why curved TVs are a terrible idea and don't work; you sit too far back and the curve just becomes a distraction.

The fact that Samsung actually INCREASED the curve to me is just mind-boggling.

I really need to see this curve. I really like the 1800 curve on my 32” monitor but not sure how I’d feel about more curve!

Contrast ratio is low but it's only a bit lower than the LG32GK650 which is supposed to be 3000:1. Anything is a better than the approx 750:1 on the LG 27GL850 though, and with better response time/input lag!

But the curve kills it. Such a shame, this could have been the #1 gaming monitor by far, it almost has everything including better picture quality and pixel response. Hoping samsung makes a revised version with less or no curve. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I really need to see this curve. I really like the 1800 curve on my 32” monitor but not sure how I’d feel about more curve!
The middle wouldn't feel much different, but the edges would feel really quite enclosed:

screencurve01.png

Black = flat
Blue = 1800R
Green = 1500R
Red = 1000R.

The middle wouldn't feel much different, but the edges would feel really quite enclosed:

View attachment 86836

Black = flat
Blue = 1800R
Green = 1500R
Red = 1000R.
Hmm. I don’t think I would like it. Also it would take up more space on my desk, a 32” monitor needs to be as far back as possible on most desks, it’s enormous! I still want to see this in person. I wonder what a triple monitor setup would be like, could be some use for this there?

Hmm. I don’t think I would like it. Also it would take up more space on my desk, a 32” monitor needs to be as far back as possible on most desks, it’s enormous! I still want to see this in person. I wonder what a triple monitor setup would be like, could be some use for this there?

It would almost enclose you.

I’m still wondering what’s the meaning of a 1440P 240 Hz panel...
It’s way faster than the frame rate every GPU on the market could reach. I just think frame rate is becoming the new “megapixel “ , where every vendor are just pushing a bigger number on the market because, you know, bigger seems better...

Said that, I’m using both 1500R and 1800R screens, but 1000R is ridiculous.

I’m still wondering what’s the meaning of a 1440P 240 Hz panel...
It’s way faster than the frame rate every GPU on the market could reach
The G7 supports FreeSync Premium and is G-SYNC Compatible, so the peak refresh rate isn't a problem in that sense. However, I'd be more concerned by the fact that the range of the VRR is 80 to 240 Hz with G-SYNC and 60 to 240 Hz with FreeSync. In other words, sub-60/80 fps gaming means it will switch to normal vysnc (assuming this is enabled alongside VRR).

The G7 supports FreeSync Premium and is G-SYNC Compatible, so the peak refresh rate isn't a problem in that sense. However, I'd be more concerned by the fact that the range of the VRR is 80 to 240 Hz with G-SYNC and 60 to 240 Hz with FreeSync. In other words, sub-60/80 fps gaming means it will switch to normal vysnc (assuming this is enabled alongside VRR).
Right but my point was that there’s absolutely no reason to go that high with refresh rate. You are rising manufacturing costs (and price) for marketing reasons (mostly).
Is there any specific reason to go higher than 144 Hz in your opinion ?

Back