Samsung orchestrated a record quarter for foldable smartphones

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Shipments of foldable smartphones in the third quarter of 2021 were larger than the previous four quarters combined, growing 215 percent quarter over quarter to 2.6 million units. Compared to the same period a year ago, shipments jumped 480 percent.

Samsung was responsible for 93 percent of all foldable shipments in Q3, thanks largely to the launch of the Galaxy Z Fold3 and Galaxy Z Flip3 smartphones over the summer. As Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) notes, these devices debuted at lower prices and were accompanied by strong promotional efforts and attractive trade-in offers.

Huawei, the only other major manufacturer mentioned by name, accounted for six percent of foldable shipments in Q3.

DSCC has increased its foldable smartphone shipment forecast for the full year to 7.5 million units. The outlook might have been even higher, had it not been for delays with other brands due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage.

Looking ahead, DSCC expects to see 17.5 million foldables shipped across all of 2022.

Related reading: Google reportedly puts Pixel Fold on ice, and that may be a good thing

While impress compared to earlier foldable efforts, the numbers pale in comparison to traditional smartphone shipments. According to Statista, Apple shipped more than 50 million iPhones in the third quarter alone and could come close to doubling that figure this quarter, inventory willing. Until prices come down further, durability improves significantly and more players take the field, it’s unlikely that foldables will challenge traditional slabs anytime soon.

Image credit Zana Latif

Permalink to story.

Going through the thesaurus are we? Orchestrated means set up or manipulated which I in no way see mentioned in the article.

It will be a cold day in Hell before I buy the "copy Apple" company which, after mocking Cupertino's changes, just did the same:
- non user replaceable battery
- no microSD card
- no headphone jack
- no headphones in the box
- no charger in the box
Of course, IR blaster removed and so on.
Well, keep up the "good" work, Samsung, I'll get a Sony or a Chinese cheap phone. Never again, Samsung, never again.

It will be a cold day in Hell before I buy the "copy Apple" company which, after mocking Cupertino's changes, just did the same:
- non user replaceable battery
- no microSD card
- no headphone jack
- no headphones in the box
- no charger in the box
Of course, IR blaster removed and so on.
Well, keep up the "good" work, Samsung, I'll get a Sony or a Chinese cheap phone. Never again, Samsung, never again.
Ahh… forgot about the IR blaster. Such a freaking cool feature. I used to screw with TVs, projectors, and all sorts of devices from my phone at pubs, restaurants, and venues.

Good times.

Going through the thesaurus are we? Orchestrated means set up or manipulated which I in no way see mentioned in the article.

It's better than seeing "smashed", "destroyed", "cornered", etc, etc...

When you need to put out X number of articles a day -- some really good words and phrases become completely benign.

While the concept of being able to unfold the phone to get a bigger screen estate is cool, in practice, I find it quite useless. People I've know using Samsung fold phones may not even unfold the phone for general usage.Now unfolding means you can technically see more, but in applications like games and for movies, that odd aspect ration means black bars on top and below the "bigger screen". Kind of defeats the purpose to me.

Wow, great numbers! In other news, the adoption of one legged frogs as house pets is also is in the rise! Which is as relevant as much as foldable phones selling numbers....

It's better than seeing "smashed", "destroyed", "cornered", etc, etc...

When you need to put out X number of articles a day -- some really good words and phrases become completely benign.
Could of just said samsung had a record quarter.

Back