Samsung ships twice as many smartphones as Apple in Q3

Jos

Staff

Samsung continued to lead the smartphone market in the third quarter of 2012, with an estimated 56.3 million devices shipped worldwide according to IDC. That’s a massive 31.3% share of the 179.7 million units shipped during the quarter, up from 22.7% a year ago, and double the 26.9 million phones shipped by Apple in the same time frame.

Combined, the two companies took 46.3% of all shipments while Nokia and RIM continued their downward spiral. Although the BlackBerry maker was the third-biggest in the sector, it only shipped 7.7 million devices during the quarter, down from 11.8 million a year ago. Meanwhile, Nokia fell off the list of top five smartphone vendors for the first time, behind ZTE and HTC, with just 6.3 million units.

Although IDC did not break down mobile OS share figures, Apple's shipments equate to a 15% share for iOS, up from 13.8% a year ago, while an earlier report by the market research firm puts Android at around 70%.

All told, 179.7 million smartphones shipped last quarter, representing a 45% percent gain over the prior year. The broader market for all mobile phones grew by just 2.4% from 434.1 million to 444.5 million, meaning that smartphones were 40.4% of all phone shipments. When factoring in feature phones, the market was still dominated by Samsung with 105.4 million shipments globally, followed by Nokia with 82.9 million.

Top Five Smartphone Vendors, Shipments, and Market Share, 2012 Q3 (Units in Millions)

Vendor 4Q11 Unit Shipments 4Q11 Market Share 4Q10 Unit Shipments 4Q10 Market Share Year-over-year Change
Samsung 56.3 31.3% 28.1 22.7% 100.4%
Apple 26.9 15.0% 17.1 13.8% 57.3%
RIM 7.7 4.3% 11.8 9.6% -34.7%
ZTE 7.5 4.2% 4.1 3.3% 82.9%
HTC 7.3 4.0% 12.7 10.3% -42.5%
Others 74.0 41.2% 49.9 40.3% 48.3%
Total 179.7 100.0% 123.7 100.0% 45.3%

Permalink to story.

These number don't accurately reflect Apple though. iSheep were waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out before they purchased another Apple phone. The iPhone 5 was released with less than a week left in Quarter 3. I'd be more interested to see the sales of the Galaxy S3 and the Note 2 vs the iPhone 5 now that its prime competition has released their "updated" phone.

These number don't accurately reflect Apple though. iSheep were waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out before they purchased another Apple phone. The iPhone 5 was released with less than a week left in Quarter 3. I'd be more interested to see the sales of the Galaxy S3 and the Note 2 vs the iPhone 5 now that its prime competition has released their "updated" phone.

True but I think now that Samsung won't be supplying Apple's parts anymore they can run full throttle.

Hate these attempts at a story. The only company reporting any numbers that mean anything directly is Apple – they report sales to people that actually use the phone...not 'shipments'.

Samsung and all the others report 'shipments'. That means that if a phone went to a warehouse and will never be in the hands of a user, it is reported. Never do you see the number of returned, unopened boxes of phones. This approach is nothing more than channel stuffing to artificially inflate the perception.

I don't doubt that Samsung sells a lot of phones worldwide. However, in my travels, I see far more iPhones actually in use than I do Samsung phones. These types of articles are just click-bait for the fans for each of the contending companies and has no real world use.

Hate these attempts at a story. The only company reporting any numbers that mean anything directly is Apple ? they report sales to people that actually use the phone...not 'shipments'.

Samsung and all the others report 'shipments'. That means that if a phone went to a warehouse and will never be in the hands of a user, it is reported. Never do you see the number of returned, unopened boxes of phones. This approach is nothing more than channel stuffing to artificially inflate the perception.

I don't doubt that Samsung sells a lot of phones worldwide. However, in my travels, I see far more iPhones actually in use than I do Samsung phones. These types of articles are just click-bait for the fans for each of the contending companies and has no real world use.

For me, I see far more Samsung smartphones -among others- than iPhones. It is not what you see or what I see but rather what unbiased statistics say.

Hate these attempts at a story. The only company reporting any numbers that mean anything directly is Apple ? they report sales to people that actually use the phone...not 'shipments'.

Fortunately Samsung is in the business of shipping modern tech and storing it in warehouses around the world to pad these statistics.

Back