Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB hard drive--making me feel ill

This will probably seem strange to some out there, but I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

I just installed a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB hard drive and as soon as I turned the computer on, I began to feel quite strange. It is almost like a headache, particularly in my head, but really over my whole body. A weird, almost numby, achey, strong feeling--really, the "strong" part is most descriptive--like what you would imagine from a magnetic pull. I don't really have the words to describe it properly.

I am guessing that it is the EMF from the drive. I have had similar problems using a Compaq 6820s laptop (which I am writing on now). Once I removed the wireless card (I couldn't just turn off the wireless; I had to remove the card), things were much better, and generally I can use the laptop.

The hard drive, though, is another story. Obviously, I could remove it, but then I am out $75 plus all the labor putting it in and formatting it. One site I looked at (Computers for the Electrically Sensitive) said that some drives may have more powerful voice coils for positioning. I don't really know what that is, but if there is some way to adjust things, perhaps that is a solution.

I am wondering if there is a way to find out the strength of the voice coil in a hard drive, or how much emf the hard drive is putting out--before I buy it! Does anyone know?

Another site mentioned that adding more and more devices will sometimes lead to "too much" EMF. When I disconnected my other hard drive from the computer, that helped just ever so slightly.

Does anyone know of any materials that will block out EMF? There are claims for some materials, but I don't know that I trust claims from websites trying to sell you something.

Other solution: I could try moving my computer very far away from my keyboard and monitor. I'd prefer not to to do that, as these days I need to access USB drives, etc pretty frequently, and I am not sure how far away I'd need to move it.

Thank you for help or for links to sites that can provide me with more help!!!

Make sure your motherboard is not touching the case chassic and instead is screwed on properly.

Make sure of all your connection turn off computer and turn off PSU switch.

Wait 10 seconds turn switch on and turn on computer and let us know what happens.

Back