Samsung's 2024 TV lineup receives a new 98-inch model for $3,999

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: Multiple companies have introduced TVs hovering around the 100-inch mark since the beginning of the year. Samsung's 2024 lineup now includes a range of ultra-large sets featuring AI-assisted upscaling to enhance content that isn't in 4K (or 8K). The company's latest addition is its most affordable 98-inch model.

Samsung's 98-inch Crystal UHD DU9000 TV is now available for $3,999, thousands of dollars below other variants of similar size. While the product page is light on specs like nits or dimming zones, the LED set supports 120Hz VRR and HDR10+, though Dolby Vision isn't mentioned.

One of the main features that Samsung advertises is AI upscaling. Much of the content viewers watch likely won't be in 4K, so TV vendors use upscaling to make up the difference in resolution, but Samsung's method also employs AI and machine learning to determine the proper filter. Additionally, Samsung uses AI to automatically determine when to activate Game Mode and detect the presence of in-game mini maps.

Another image quality feature is Supersize Picture Enhancer, which sharpens the picture and reduces the extra noise to compensate for the large pixels and thus low pixel density common with ultra-size TVs. To experience the proper perceived pixel density while using a 98-inch TV, Samsung recommends a viewing distance of six-to-12 feet.

The company's 2024 TV lineup includes several other sets ranging from 43 to 98 inches. The 4K Neo QLED (QN90D), starting at $1,499, incorporates Samsung's NQ4 AI Gen 2 processor, which enables AI-enhanced features like Real Depth Enhancer Pro and AI Customization Mode. The latter automatically adjusts picture settings based on content. The QN85D is slightly cheaper, starting at $1,399.

Meanwhile, the OLED S95D, starting at $2,599, utilizes the company's OLED Glare-Free technology to minimize the reflections that often plague OLED displays in bright rooms. The OLED S90D is available for as low as $1,999, both models incorporate OLED HDR Pro.

Samsung has also introduced two new 8K QLED TVs. The Neo QLED 8K (QN900D), starting at $4,999, uses the NQ8 AI Gen 3 processor with neural networks for AI-based upscaling and motion enhancement. The other 8K set – the AN800D – starts at $3,499.

Starting at $999, the company also offers a 4K QLED designed to double as a frame for digital art. The TV includes a customizable frame, a low-reflection matte display, and an energy-efficient "art mode" for displaying static images.

Permalink to story:

Looks pretty good but it would not fit anywhere in my house ..... maybe the garage ....

It’s quite impressive how quickly prices for large TVs are coming down.

I remember when a 60” cost more than this… and the 98” from Samsung probably has a better picture than those 60” displays.

Now I just need to own a house large enough to fit this in :)

Will TV shows in HDR content also be too dark to watch like on their other TVs? People have been complaining on Samsung forums for years.. They don't allow you to disable HDR on the Netflix or Disney+ apps... you have to buy an expensive apple streaming device to do that... which I refuse to pay for.

Big and cheap is the sure way to get disappointed.

People who bought very expensive Samsung models also complain on the forums of HDR shows being too dark to watch. No useful help from Samsung - they dont let you disable HDR on netflix or disney+ apps.

People who bought very expensive Samsung models also complain on the forums of HDR shows being too dark to watch. No useful help from Samsung - they dont let you disable HDR on netflix or disney+ apps.
And LG has black crush and tons of other issues + easily hackable firmware which is all over the net right now.

Every single TV manufacturer has issues all the time .

Samsung is the top selling TV brand in the world anyway.

Hisense and TCL is coming fast tho, sadly not really competitive in the high-end market yet.

LG is loosing marketshare after QD-OLED came out. Sony is using QD-OLED in their top models now on 2nd year in a row.

1. QD-OLED
2. WOLED (MLA is a must)
3. LCD with Mini LED or FALD (Can work, but loses tons of image quality in game mode)
4. LCD Edge Lit (Horrible, especially on big panels)

And LG has black crush and tons of other issues...LG is loosing marketshare after QD-OLED came out.
Lol what?

May 16, 2023: "Samsung admits defeat and reportedly inks deal for LG’s OLED TV ... LG Display will reportedly supply more than 10 million OLED panels to Samsung over the next few years....LG has grabbed more than 50 percent market share of OLED TVs with Sony at 26 percent and Samsung at just 6 percent..."

Lol what?

May 16, 2023: "Samsung admits defeat and reportedly inks deal for LG’s OLED TV ... LG Display will reportedly supply more than 10 million OLED panels to Samsung over the next few years....LG has grabbed more than 50 percent market share of OLED TVs with Sony at 26 percent and Samsung at just 6 percent..."

Dude, the reason why LG wants this deal is because their panels are collecting dust. LG OLED TV sales are dropping after QD-OLED came out.

Sony used WOLED in their top tier models until QD-OLED came out, then changed. A95K and A95L uses QD-OLED and won best TV og 2022, 2023

LG is in panic mode right now. WOLED is inferior really. Increasing brightness is not the answer because WOLED relies on a white subpixel that drowns RGB subpixels and hence washing out colors. This is fact. MLA did not fix this at all.

Samsung is using LG panels in their lower tier OLED TVs only. Their high-end ones use QD-OLED, just like Sony uses QD-OLED in top models and WOLED in mid-tier.

Also, LG has not been improving B and C series since 2019 pretty much. G series gets all the focus and new stuff first. Even C4 this year don't hit 1000 nits and don't get MLA.

This is LGs huge problem really. They sell 90% A, B and C models. G series is much better but way more expensive, and still loses to QD-OLED overall.

Colors on QD-OLED are just way better. I had 4 WOLED TVs before I went QD-OLED and I am not looking back for sure. LG Display needs to vastly improve WOLED to make me buy one again. Color volume needs to be much better. Brightness is fine (on top models, meaning G and up for LGs own TVs) but colors are not.

I had C9, it was a great TV in 2019. Sadly NOTHING happened since, and C series are still stuck at 700-800 nits peak brightness with same color volume. C4 is crap compared to G4 for example. Even G2 shits all over C4.

Right now I use Sony A95L 77 inch and had A95K 65 inch before that. I tried pretty much all good OLED TVs in the last 5-6 years.

The only WOLED TV I would touch is G3/G4 but it will be a downgrade for me. Colors are lacking bigtime on WOLED because of the white subpixel.

I had 4 WOLED TVs before going QD-OLED and I still have 2 of them, in my office and bedroom. I know EXACTLY how WOLED looks compared to QD-OLED and QD-OLED wins very easily.

If WOLED was superior, Sony would be using that in top tier models instead of QD-OLED, but they don't. Sony uses WOLED in mid-tier OLED TVs. This tells you everything you need to know.

Last edited:
Dude, the reason why LG wants this deal is because their panels are collecting dust. LG OLED TV sales are dropping after QD-OLED came out.
Market share figures don't lie: LG has 50% of OLED, Samsung 6% -- with figures taken a year after Samsung debuted QD-OLED. As the expression goes, "I don't know what you're smoking, but I want some of it."

Last edited:
Market share figures don't lie: LG has 50% of OLED, Samsung 6% -- with figures taken a year after Samsung debuted QD-OLED. As the expression goes, "I don't know what you're smoking, but I want some of it."
Market share numbers from early 2023 when QD-OLED was still new, hahaha.

Reality is that QD-OLED dominates in OLED monitor market and has 3 years of burn-in warranty on most brands, while only a few WOLED monitors has 2 years.

Sony uses QD-OLED in top tier model, and WOLED in mid tier.

If WOLED was actually better, Sony would use WOLED in top tier, but they don't.

Samsung is building new QD-OLED factories as we speak.

QD-OLED has tons of room for improvement and WOLED is close to maxed out at this point. This is LGs huge problem. Stuck with WOLED and the whit subpixel that drowns the RGB subpixels as brightness increases.

Last edited:
Market share numbers from early 2023 when QD-OLED was still new, hahaha.
Market share numbers from less than a year ago, numbers from a year after QD-OLED was released, and the most recent market share figures I could find. And it was less than a year ago when Samsung agreed to purchase the bulk of its OLED panels from LG.

If you have more recent data to support your claims, post them. Otherwise, you are, as usual, just whistling in the wind.

I really wish LG and Samsung would work on the longevity of their kit. New TVs just dont last very long. I went to a store and the LG beautiful 77" C3 had a vertical line running down the left side about 2 inches into the panel. My last TV lasted only 1.5 years and the panel died with a horizontal line running from left edge to right edge smack dab midway down the panel.

I really wish LG and Samsung would work on the longevity of their kit. New TVs just dont last very long. I went to a store and the LG beautiful 77" C3 had a vertical line running down the left side about 2 inches into the panel. My last TV lasted only 1.5 years and the panel died with a horizontal line running from left edge to right edge smack dab midway down the panel.
I’ve got a Samsung going on 15 years… my other one is a little over 2 years old… both perfectly fine - of course now I’ve jinxed them and they’ll probably both break tomorrow.

Market share numbers from less than a year ago, numbers from a year after QD-OLED was released, and the most recent market share figures I could find. And it was less than a year ago when Samsung agreed to purchase the bulk of its OLED panels from LG.

If you have more recent data to support your claims, post them. Otherwise, you are, as usual, just whistling in the wind.
And you still know what up and down in this matter.

LG wanted to sell panels to Samsung, because they were collecting dust really.

"LG hopes to sell 1 million OLED panels to Samsung"

Samsung uses WOLED in the cheaper tier TVs.
Just like Sony uses WOLED in the cheaper models.
Samsung and Sony highest tier OLED TVs use QD-OLED, because it is superior.

Also, QD-OLED for monitors sits on like 80% of the market. All the new great OLED gaming monitors pretty much use QD-OLED. I know the actual shipping numbers, works with B2B sales. WOLED monitors are nowhere near.

Samsung is building new QD-OLED factories as we speak. Samsung dominated small OLED panel production for decades at this point. Now they are coming for bigger panels as well.

LGs WOLED stagnated long ago. MLA helped a little but no enough and most of LGs own TVs don't even use MLA, including their best selling models: A, B and C.

A is entry level OLED.
B and C is mid tier OLED.

Both Samsung and Sony's highest tier OLED TVs (which use QD-OLED) beats LG C series with absolute ease.

LG G series is better but still has trouble, especially with color volume and washed out colors because brightness is kinda high. WOLED + High brightness means washed out colors, because the white subpixel drowns the RGB subpixels, which runs at MUCH lower brightness/nits.

This is nothing new. LG WOLED stagnated several years ago really and QD-OLED keeps improving and has way more headroom for improvement too.

WOLED is still good (as in much better than LCD) but QD-OLED is just better.

If this was not the case, Sony would be using WOLED in their top tier models, but they use QD-OLED 2nd time in a row and won best TV awards both years too.

(15-paragrah Wall-of-Words deleted)
I asked for verification of your claim; you've again failed to provide it, save for misty-eyed claims that 'you work with actual shipping'.

My figure stands. LG has the lion's share of the OLED market. And despite your claim that their panels are "gathering dust", we have the following facts:

"Reuters reports that LG Display will supply 2 million OLED panels to Samsung in 2024, 3 million in 2025, and then 5 million in 2026. ....With this deal, Samsung could overtake Sony Corp as the second largest supplier of OLED TVs globally."

I asked for verification of your claim; you've again failed to provide it, save for misty-eyed claims that 'you work with actual shipping'.

My figure stands. LG has the lion's share of the OLED market. And despite your claim that their panels are "gathering dust", we have the following facts:

"Reuters reports that LG Display will supply 2 million OLED panels to Samsung in 2024, 3 million in 2025, and then 5 million in 2026. ....With this deal, Samsung could overtake Sony Corp as the second largest supplier of OLED TVs globally."
Samsung Display dominated phone and tablet OLED market for years at this point so which OLED panels are we talking about? When it comes to bigger panels, monitors and TVs - Samsung Display gains ground quarter for quarter and building new QD-OLED fabs to meet demand. That is reality for you.

LG Display selling WOLED panels to Samsung Electronics instead of collecting dust is smart by LG really. Making some money instead of no money.

You know the difference between Samsung Display and Samsung Electronics, right?

Once again, Sony uses QD-OLED over WOLED in flagship OLED TVs for a reason. QD-OLED is just better. Colors are vastly better. I have owned 4 WOLED TVs before I went QD-OLED, never going back for sure unless LG rewamps their OLED tech completely. WOLED is not going to matter long term, too much reliance on the white subpixel and washed out colors. This is where QD-OLED brings the best of both worlds. Almost like a QLED and WOLED hybrid tech.

Your numbers from early 2023 makes lilttle sense in mid 2024 when QD-OLED was launched in mid 2022. LG is losing OLED marketshare as we speak. They need to improve WOLED real fast, yet their best selling OLED TVs are still inferior WOLED without even MLA and medicore 700-800 nits peak brightness; A, B and C models.

C9 from 2019 was great. C3 from 2023 looks identical in terms of image quality. That is just sad.

C4 is not even much better than C9. C4 is mid-end OLED at best and 90% of LGs OLED sales consists of A, B and C models.

QD-OLED monitors absolutely smashes WOLED monitors in terms of sales numbers.

You can ramble all you want, does not change facts. LG is having big trouble with QD-OLED. LG did great in up till 2020 or so with WOLED but stagnated hard in the last few years. MLA did little difference but most WOLED panels don't even have MLA anyway. WOLED with MLA still loses to QD-OLED.

Go read flatpanels.com, they tested C3 last time and they say nothing changed for years in this series. This is common knowledge if you actually know anything about high-end TVs and OLED.

LG has been sleeping like Nokia while having OLED monopoly for TV market. LGs big problem is that WOLED can't be improved much going forward.

LG panic'ed when QD-OLED launched really. They first talked **** about QD-OLED and how much burn-in risk it had, yet QD-OLED monitors have 3 years of burn-in warranty and most WOLED monitors have 0-2 years.

Last edited:
Your numbers from early 2023 makes lilttle sense in mid 2024
My figures are from May 2023. It's now April 2024. May is "early" but April is "mid year"? Are you aware in what order the months of the year flow?

And I've given you three times now the opportunity to provide more current data. You've failed to do so. Three strikes you're out.

My figures are from May 2023. It's now April 2024. May is "early" but April is "mid year"? Are you aware in what order the months of the year flow?

And I've given you three times now the opportunity to provide more current data. You've failed to do so. Three strikes you're out.
Reality hurts I see. You clearly know nothing about this topic. I bet you don't even use a high-end OLED TV :joy:

LG is in panic mode right now and Sony abandoned WOLED for a reason. WOLED was moved to mid-tier models after A95K hit in 2022.

I would not touch any LG OLED TV besides G series and up at this point. A, B and C is mid-tier and this what LG ships 90% of the time.

C9 won best TV 2019, only went downhill since. I had C9 and I have seen CX, C1, C2 and C3. All look identical. No improvements for ~5 years. CX was even a step down with gimped bandwidth and BX was nerfed on HDMI 2.1 inputs and other specs compared to B9 which was the last real good B model, close to C9.

I have first hand experience with all decent OLED TV in the last 5+ years - You can keep rambling, I know facts.

Last edited:
Sales numbers figures for OLED displays aren’t useful in this argument unless you account only for large screen displays - smartphones are the majority of sales and skew any argument.

It’s abundantly clear that “regular” OLED has lost to QD-OLED but MLA has made it a very close battle.

MLA now wins (very slightly) in peak brightness - which was the main selling point of QD-OLED over WOLED - but loses in colour accuracy .

2nd Gen MLA promises more brightness (we’ll see when they come out) but they are probably still going to lose out in colour accuracy as the use of white light will always hamper that.

QD-OLED will continue to improve and they have an advantage in that their colour accuracy will always be better and brightness is an easier thing to work on.

LG sells displays to Samsung (which they use for mid-low tier items) but as Samsung factories ramp up, this will probably decrease (they signed a 5 year deal a year ago I believe, so will be interesting to see if that deal gets renewed/altered/cancelled).

At the end of the day, you’ll have to have REALLY good eyes to see the difference between both companies’ top tier displays - price will probably make most people’s decisions.

Disiw and Endymio, please discontinue your personal argument in this thread. If you feel the need to continue, please do so via PM. Thank you.

Back