Samsung's first PCIe 3.0 SSD enters mass production, it's insanely fast and energy efficient

Jos

Staff

samsung ssd

Samsung has announced their new crazy-fast and energy efficient PCIe SSD is now in mass production. Dubbed SM951, the drive is destined to go in ultra thin and light laptops, and when matched with devices that support PCIe 3.0 it is able to deliver read and write speeds of 2,150 MB/s and 1,550 MB/s. That’s roughly four times faster than the fastest SATA-based SSDs.

Paired with a PCIe 2.0 interface, the SM951 is still pretty quick with sequential speeds up to 1,600MB/s read and 1,350MB/s write and random performance of 130,000 IOPS read and 85,000 IOPS write. There’s no information on endurance but its predecessor, the XP941, was rated at 73TB.

Samsung also claims some major improvements in terms of efficiency. In fact, the drive is reportedly 50% more efficient than the XP941, with an energy efficiency of 450 MB/s per watt for sequential reading, and 250 MB/s per watt for sequential writing. Additionally, the SM951 is the first drive to support the new L1.2 low power standby mode that slashes the power consumption in sleep or hibernate mode by 97% -- from 50mW to under 2mW.

In practical terms what this means is it would allow for a laptop to stay in hibernation mode much longer, possibly even months.

The new drive will be available in 128GB, 256GB and 512GB capacity options. Samsung hasn’t revealed much about the NAND chips being used besides saying it’s using are “10nm-class” MLC flash.

There's no word on pricing, though it's likely that at least initially these drives won't be sold directly to consumers but rather laptop manufacturers.

Permalink to story.

Wow, that's fast. I can only wonder what kind of experience it would be to run windows off of that thing.

Since when do early adopters pay reasonable prices? They may think they're getting a fair deal but in actual fact they're being scammed.

Can you give more details about why you consider it "scam" for early adopters? R+D costs a lot of money and the early adopters are always a few; when there's nothing else on the market that offers what you just developed, investors can ask for a "as high as possible price" since there's no competition and have as much as possible of the investment back early.

That's the basic business principle that allowed the CDC 6600 to be sold at $8 million a piece -considered a supercomputer capable of running 10 times as fast as the other most powerful machines.

This is why I don't waste time putting SSD's in RAID.
"Well Joe my PC takes 5.67 seconds to boot instead of 7.28, whoop-de-do."

A good SSD is plenty fast and this setup looks to excel in total pwnage.

Wow, that's fast. I can only wonder what kind of experience it would be to run windows off of that thing.
the same as an above average SSD. it will just load a bit faster and copy files a bit faster. you are still limited by the rest of the components. (especially in mobile formats)

Can you give more details about why you consider it "scam" for early adopters? R+D costs a lot of money and the early adopters are always a few; when there's nothing else on the market that offers what you just developed, investors can ask for a "as high as possible price" since there's no competition and have as much as possible of the investment back early.

That's the basic business principle that allowed the CDC 6600 to be sold at $8 million a piece -considered a supercomputer capable of running 10 times as fast as the other most powerful machines.
OK, I don't see any reason to pay top dollar for any new tech when I can pick up a vastly improved version for a fraction of the original cost later on. I'm patient, I can wait.

OK, I don't see any reason to pay top dollar for any new tech when I can pick up a vastly improved version for a fraction of the original cost later on. I'm patient, I can wait.

Well, that's the reason why early adopters are so few and the big chunk of "mainstream-stage" adopters wait; that's expected. Those few who had that need beforehand and are able to pay it, will do.

I'm not an early adopter and I agree with you; but I can also see the reason of why it works that way and they take advantage of that temporary "edginess".

The same as it is now. OS itself doesn't require such speeds at all. I run Windows 8.1 on Samsung Pro 850, with i7-4770K, and everything opens instantly. Those speeds will only be of benefit under heavy load tasks, such as large file transfers, databases, video rendering, virtual machines, etc.

Since when do early adopters pay reasonable prices? They may think they're getting a fair deal but in actual fact they're being scammed.

I have often wondered who established the time table of trying to re-coop R&D costs within the first 3-6 months on products who's significance insures a much longer lifespan. Granted that with drug companies there are so many pitfalls it has to be a priority but in computer parts that are logically going to be out there for awhile I would certainly think it more reasonable and attractive to spread those costs out for 12-18 months.

Having just purchased my second SSD I doubt I'll be in the market for another one for a year or longer so it won't affect me particularly since all those "got to have it today" folks will have absorbed all the added costs so, in advance, thanks folks for making is much more reasonable for us retiree's!

Can't wait for this to make it to laptops. Let's hope Apple includes it in the upcoming refresh because I am gonna be looking for a new notebook.

I already have one of these hoopajoos, found it at a garage sell, and let me tell you it's not all its cracked up to be...just my 2 cents...

Well, that's the reason why early adopters are so few and the big chunk of "mainstream-stage" adopters wait; that's expected. Those few who had that need beforehand and are able to pay it, will do.

I'm not an early adopter and I agree with you; but I can also see the reason of why it works that way and they take advantage of that temporary "edginess".
That's very true but if we all had deep pockets I think we all would be early adopters.

I am not an early adopter but we have to thank them. As they help bring costs down in the end.
I dont have a problem paying top dollar for something unique when I have cash to splash.

That's very true but if we all had deep pockets I think we all would be early adopters.

Then where would the 1% be? It's like that Sheldon's [Cooper] dream when he was a giant and everything was up to scale but he knew he was a giant because he was wearing underwear size 1 million.

I am not an early adopter but we have to thank them. As they help bring costs down in the end.
I dont have a problem paying top dollar for something unique when I have cash to splash.
Of course we need them, they're the ones that do us favours and the industry needs them as well.

Spoiler alert on that size 1m!
For some business the premium is worthwhile, possibly even for Pro-sumers. I languish on the trailing edge when everything is well debugged, mature and at very reasonable prices. Just teetering on 128gb vs 240gb SSD atm (for my 2500k system) . Keep on buying suckers

Back