Samsung's Galaxy S20 spied with quad-camera array ahead of next month's reveal

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Samsung will unveil its next flagship smartphone family at a scheduled Unpacked event on February 11 in San Francisco. The general consensus is that we’ll finally get to see the Galaxy S11 on this day… or as it is apparently now being called, the Galaxy S20 (for 2020).

Purported images of this mystery handset – specifically, the Galaxy S20+ – hit the Internet over the weekend. The spy shots were delivered to XDA Developers by a source that wishes to remain anonymous.

The biggest thing that stands out in the images is the rear camera array. In keeping with the latest trends, Samsung looks to be going with a raised camera array packing at least four lenses. There also appears to be a flash unit and perhaps a microphone cutout. It doesn’t look great aesthetically, but then again, none of the domino-style camera arrays as of late have scored high marks in the looks department.

Around front, we see a notchless hole-punch design sporting very slim bezels. Notably, Samsung appears to have toned down its use of curved glass / display tech around the edges. The source told the publication that it felt flat, and much more similar to a Pixel 2 XL.

Like some of Samsung’s more recent phones, the new S20 family will reportedly come with a screen protector pre-installed from the factory.

One last thing to note – despite the nomenclature, the S20+ actually isn’t the top-of-the-line model. That distinction reportedly belongs to the Galaxy S20 Ultra. There will also be 4G and 5G variants, we’re told.

Samsung’s big reveal is roughly one month away at this point. Barring any other major leaks, we should learn all there is to know about Sammy’s first-half flagship come February 11.

Permalink to story.

Crossing fingers that the 5000+ MaH battery rumors are true. Battery life is the only remaining bugbear for me on the S10 line, and my moto z play is going to be up for replacement this year.

The way smartphones keep adding cameras reminds me of when razors kept adding blades... "Mach V", Quattro, Fusion,... now my razor uses "nanotech" - of course, it's the same shave as always...

Your smartphone has 1 camera? Mine has 2... Yours has 2? Mine has 3... Yours has 3? Mine has 4.... I can hardly wait until there are 32 cameras on my phone :)

This year is the first time I didn't upgrade. I have a 512GB and I wanted 1TB. I'll wait till I get what I want before I upgrade.

".....It doesn’t look great aesthetically, but then again, none of the domino-style camera arrays as of late have scored high marks in the looks department."

Actually, The IPhone 11 Pro looks like a masterpiece and very pleasing to the eye....compared to this Frankenstein / Steampunk 4-camera ugliness by Samsung!!

Sheesh, they should really hire a new design team: a bunch of monkeys could have come up with a better design!

I think they should either add, (or sell), a detachable auxiliary camera, which you could then swallow, and give yourself a "home colonoscopy", view-able right on your phone..

Hey wouldn't that be a break wind,? Sorry, I meant "breakthrough".

I think they should either add, (or sell), a detachable auxiliary camera, which you could then swallow, and give yourself a "home colonoscopy", view-able right on your phone..

Hey wouldn't that be a break wind,? Sorry, I meant "breakthrough".

Yeah! ...and it would less painful than using the selfie stick..although not as much fun!
...am I right!?
A colonoscopy is a ride at the carnival right?

Will it have decent call quality? can it actually do phone things well? is the earpiece located someplace comfortable so my ear wont bleed?

maybe its at&t but my s9+ has terrible call quality sometimes, and cause they push everything to the edge its earpiece hurts my ear after like 5min of use, I have flip phone for work use thats way more comfortable than this phone. not everyone wanders with pods in or shouts to the heavens with the speaker on.

but sure, I guess 27 more cameras will solve the issues, gotta snap your drunken meal in the waffle house in glorious 4k hdr for your 3 followers I guess.

Realistically, single camera sitcoms, infomercials, and "POV erotica", can be really boring. You should provide at least two to your blackmailers, if not more.
Oh crap, wrong thread... :facepalm:

There should be exactly 6 cameras: Front, Back, Top, Bottom, Left, Right.

That covers entire space around the phone. Samsung screwed up, putting 4 cameras in the back, which leaves the sides empty. One more mistake like that and NSA is canceling the deal.

There should be exactly 6 cameras: Front, Back, Top, Bottom, Left, Right.

That covers entire space around the phone. Samsung screwed up, putting 4 cameras in the back, which leaves the sides empty. One more mistake like that and NSA is canceling the deal.
Paranoid comedy, I love it.

That said, I think we should go back to flip phones, and carry DSLRs with a good zoom lens. But, I full well realize that would be inconvenient for those hoping to catch some viral footage of the police gunning down a suspect reaching into to his or her pocket for the new Galaxy S-(whatever).

As an old timer, I really don't understand today's preoccupation with selfies. To me, it resembles what happens when you show a chimpanzee a mirror for the first time.

But like I said, I'm really old as hell, and I don't have a horse in the race, so to speak.

Back