Samsung's ISOCELL HP1 is the first 200-megapixel camera sensor for phones

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Not content with a 108-megapixel sensor, Samsung has made a 200-megapixel monstrosity that's designed to trade off resolution for better low-light performance when needed, thanks to pixel-binning. It will most certainly land in a Galaxy S or Galaxy Z phone at some point in the future, but it may actually debut in a Xiaomi device in early 2022.

Samsung's latest innovation for the camera-obsessed smartphone industry is the ISOCELL HP1 sensor, which promises to take image and video capture to a whole new level for mobile photography enthusiasts.

The new sensor has a resolution of no less than 200 megapixels, breaking the record held until recently by the company's 108-megapixel ISOCELL Bright HMX, which was developed in collaboration with Chinese phone maker Xiaomi.

As many of our readers are undoubtedly aware, 200 million pixels crammed into a small camera sensor don't necessarily produce the best image capture. This is why Samsung employs a new pixel-binning technique called ChameleonCell that allows the sensor to group neighboring pixels in various configurations, either in two-by-two or four-by-four layouts depending on the situation, to act as a single unit.

For low-light environments, the sensor can essentially act as a 12.5-megapixel one with pixels that are 2.56 microns in size, or a 50-megapixel sensor with 1.28-micron pixels. In close-to-ideal conditions, the ISOCELL HP1 will use the entire 200-megapixel array to capture as much detail as possible. Another highlight of the HP1 is that it can shoot 8K video at up to 30 frames per second using the four-by-four configuration.

Accompanying the ISOCELL HP1 announcement is the ISOCELL GN5, which sports a more modest 50 million pixels that are 1 micron in size. Despite the lower pixel count, the latter sensor features improved autofocus performance, as well as Dual Pixel and Front Deep Trench Isolation (FDTI) technologies that allow for more light absorption and less crosstalk within the pixels.

Permalink to story.

I really dont understand the obsession with cameras in phones.

A camera can only take pics or video.

A Smartphone camera can take pics, video, share them instantly on social media, upload over LTE or Wifi to Youtube/ instagram of Facebook - or let you go LIVE on the spot to be your own journalist whenever - wherever.

I do understand it. I am a Youtube partner who relies on iPhone video editing.

A smartphone camera only needs to be about 12 MP and take video at 4K 60FPS.

The reality is, no matter how powerful your camera is, you're limited by the sharing features of social media. My issue is that larger files need larger storage. I need 1TB storage in my phone as a minimum.

A camera can only take pics or video.

A Smartphone camera can take pics, video, share them instantly on social media, upload over LTE or Wifi to Youtube/ instagram of Facebook - or let you go LIVE on the spot to be your own journalist whenever - wherever.

I do understand it. I am a Youtube partner who relies on iPhone video editing.

A smartphone camera only needs to be about 12 MP and take video at 4K 60FPS.

The reality is, no matter how powerful your camera is, you're limited by the sharing features of social media. My issue is that larger files need larger storage. I need 1TB storage in my phone as a minimum.
Can you not just get an external SSD? I have a 1TB Samsung T5 for my iPad Pro and it’s fast enough to edit the footage off. And it only cost me about £100.

It's a useless argument folks ..... each has their own significant benefits and the constant evolution of these sensor's is benefiting both. I was prepared to drop the $5K for a new Canon R5 w/ lens but seeing this I'm wondering just how long I should hold off .... not to buy the newest but to see the prices fall on the current model....

"The best camera is the one you have on you"

I love my sony A7, but I only bring it with me if I intend on doing photography but I also love taking pictures. When I'm out with friends or at work and want to picture, 99% of the time it's my phone I have on me. I get some great photos with my phone, too. It's not good for portraits or close ups but it's great for landscapes or just cool photos of buildings around town.

I think there are 2 issues here.
1) I think this is as alluded to in the article - post processing enhancements, noise reduction, low light etc - You will need a dedicated chip for this amount of data.

2) you are limited by the resolving power of your lense - now I do not imagine Samsung analysing every lense produced and adding a specific correcting profile . AKA the Hubble Space Telescope stuff-up
Saying that the could take some photos of known things post manufacturer and create a profile . Some camera users will do the same to fine tweak their camera if settings allow.

As megapixels when up - on SLR - Canon , Nikon realised their lenses needed to improve . Modern designed lenses are very good . There are very old exceptionally sharp lenses - but they do have AF, coatings etc - probably still very good shooting where speed is not important and no shooting into sun

Neither do I. Instead of massive megapixel counts, multiple camera lenses,
why not put one LARGER image sensor on the camera. Oh, but it would stick
out of the back, ruining the "sleek sexy, stylish" design. Oh, like all of those
multiple camera lenses sticking out the corner of the back is sleek, sexy & stylish?
As someone who has shot film since the 70's, SLR's since the 80'S and d-SLR's
since they came out I laugh every time I hear a manufacturer of a phone say "phone
as good as a d-slr". They've obviously never used a real camera.
But, I guess the obsession with selfie photos, no one really cares.
Yeah, I know...the best camera, is the one you have with you, but, come on, this
megapixel count is just getting out of control.

But, I guess the obsession with selfie photos, no one really cares.
Yeah, I know...the best camera, is the one you have with you, but, come on, this
megapixel count is just getting out of control.

This. Freaking self absorbed morons. I'm glad I don't give a rats *** about what people think of me. I'm happy, and I don't do social media. (facebook/twitter, etc)

The best camera you have is the one on you at the time. Having a Smartphone that is always on me, also having a really good camera system is eminently desirable.

For me personally, the foremost reason is having kids. The photo's aren't for social media or really sharing at all, I want to be able to look back and have a lot of memories to revisit. If my house was burning down, once the humans and dogs are out, I'm saving my photos.

Megapixels have just become a pure marketing gimmick at this point. Just give me a phone with a sensor 8x the physical size of these pissy miniature spy-cams, I don't care how many megapixels, and I'll be happy

It's not good for portraits or close ups but it's great for landscapes or just cool photos of buildings around town.
In all honesty I can't deal with normal lenses for cityscapes. I usually go out with a Sigma 10- 20 mm or a Rokinon 8 mm full frame fisheye, and most of the time both on separate bodies. I already know what people, places, and things look like, it takes a good jolt of exaggerated perspective to make them really interesting..(IMO, of course).

I sincerely hope they don't cancel the Devon Horse Show again this year. That would give me an opportunity to play with my 70-200 mm f 2.8. Slap it on a DX body and it's a poor man's way of getting that 300 mm 2.8 I could never afford.

Oh sh!t, now I don't have enough money left over to buy a good camera with a phone wrapped around it. I'll have to rethink this. Maybe I'll sell my camera junk, buy a cell phone, and take a whole bunch of snapshots of people I can't stand to be around. You know, try and, pass myself off as "normal" :rolleyes:

Back