Sapphire HD 6870 not performing like it should

evilgower

Elo I have an

amd radeon sapphire 1gb not overclocked
fx 6100 six core prossesor water cooled
8gb ram
750w power supply

this is my setup but I struggle to play games like shogan 2 and all of the other total war series arma 2 mw3 battlefield 3 I have to play them all on lowest settings to get good framerates but I look on youtube and there people uplaoding videos same GPU as me and able to play on highest settings any ideas please

What resolution do you play at? The 6870 is now a low-mid range card so if you're running at a high resolution you might have to turn down the settings in the more demanding games. It should be fine in MW3 though.

Make sure you download the latest drivers from AMD.

This is wat I mean here is someone playing battlefield 3 on ultra settings on the same card as me
but I have to play on lowest settings

At that resolution your 6870 should give very good performance. Download MSI Afterburner and check your GPU usage and clock speeds when you're gaming.

Seems like your going to have to replace that card hopefully your still under a waranty cause I think it has some damage componments

While I was using msi afterburner and playing mw3 max GPU USAGE went to 78

I came across something wierd I was getting high framerates while playing and had fraps in the corner was getting 91 frames but still seemed laggy is it possible to have mouse lag

What kind of lag are you experiencing and are you playing these games online? It could be network lag, go on pingtest.net and test your connection.

You have to specifiy more dude if the gpu is performing quite good there might be many factors what Brand is the PSU

When was the last format or Driver update or what is your internet Speed

www.speedtest.net

Have you downloaded the latest drivers from AMD? do a clean install of the drivers and see if that helps.

Ya first thing is you need drivers. I had the same problem as you when I got my first videocard a Geforce2 MX400 and didnt have nvidias drivers. Despite dad being a computer engineer he didnt know any better and I definitely didnt at age 11.

Have you downloaded the latest drivers from AMD? do a clean install of the drivers and see if that helps.
you cant do that with AMD, you have to do a bunch of steps. Try this OP, go to add or remove programs, find AMD Catalyst install manager and press change. Then click express uninstall. Reboot. The next step would usually be deleting the AMD folder on the C drive, but this should not be done on an AMD chipset since it could delete crucial files. Then go to AMDs site and install version 12.10 stable, 12.11 should come out in the coming days so sit tight. After you do this install Application Profiles: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

Tell me if this helps

I notice it is much more GPU intensive. Most tasks that are usually sent to the CPU are sent to the GPU in modern engines.
I'm running a HD7950 OC edition and an i5-760 and it is massively CPU bound. Borderlands 2 is the same. Both games at 1080p with very high graphics settings (apart from physx which I generally turn off as I don't have an nvidia card).

I'm running a HD7950 OC edition and an i5-760 and it is massively CPU bound. Borderlands 2 is the same. Both games at 1080p with very high graphics settings (apart from physx which I generally turn off as I don't have an nvidia card).
I have a i7 740QM in my laptop, and I notice my CPU usage is at 73% and my GPU is at 100%, it is most likely because I am running at medium maybe. Check what I said before, I am not taking into account that BF3 is only using 30% of frostbite 2, so therefore it is pretty CPU intensive. I think BF4 will be a bit less taxing on the CPU. But being inside cities or around buildings requires a lot of CPU power. For example PS2 is very CPU intensive, it requires a i5 quad core to play well, but a lower end gfx card since it has huge maps and therefore more computing

you cant do that with AMD, you have to do a bunch of steps. Try this OP, go to add or remove programs, find AMD Catalyst install manager and press change. Then click express uninstall. Reboot. The next step would usually be deleting the AMD folder on the C drive, but this should not be done on an AMD chipset since it could delete crucial files. Then go to AMDs site and install version 12.10 stable, 12.11 should come out in the coming days so sit tight. After you do this install Application Profiles: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

Tell me if this helps
ok thanks I will give it a try

After you install the drivers, go to Catalyst control center and restore factory defaults. if this doesnt work, then you have to call Sapphire and ask for a replacement

Turn off AA in the game. If you have it set on 8x that'll kill your framerates. AA really murders fps but 4x really cleans up the jaggies.

Depends on what CPU and resolution he's pushing. AA slashes frame rates, 8x will probably quarter or third non AA fps.

Back