Sata HDD space being eaten up without reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, I am hoping someone here can help me out of the nightmare I've fallen into. Recently I decided to have a new PC built, so purchased the following:

AMD DUAL CORE 4200
4 X 1GB CORSAIR VALUE SELECT RAM
LEADTEK WINFAST 7800GT 256MB GRAPHICS CARD
2 X 200GB MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 10 SATA HDDS
ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM MOBO
WIN XP PRO SP2

Plus PSU, CASE, FAN, DVD-RW ETC

Now my friend put it together and he knows his stuff. All worked fine, so got home and installed everything onto it (anti virus, my programs etc etc).. and

after a week I suddenly realised the used space on the hard drive, doing a routine check, was quite high for what I'd actually put on. It was about 25GB..

but I only had 5gb worth of stuff on the drive, with the other having nothing on it. So I scanned it using diskdata, and as I assumed.. it confirmed only 5gb

or so used. Obviously I did all the anti virus checks etc and it was squeaky clean.

Anyway, I decided to monitor it over the next few days, and it was alarming to say the least, I could right click the used space and it would increase

extremely fast.. moreso if I was running any applications. After a while there were sporadic crashes and blue screens. I assumed it was either one or a

combination of the following things:

- my friend had not put it together right
- the settings in bios were causing the problem
- (after research) the maxtors were causing the problem.

Now there's been a lot said of the maxtors (I only found out after researching) so I got rid of them and bought samsung spinpoints upon recommendation.. did

a fresh install (had already done about twenty on the maxtors with the same issue before anything was installed) and... same problem, space being used up for

no reason, and sporadic crashes and blue screens. The company I bought the parts off were dumbfounded.

By this point (I'm not very good with this sort of thing I just learn as I go along) I'd had enough and decided to sell it and get a pre-built one ordered

with windows and all drivers installed so ahem... "the same thing can't happen again", so I ordered the following:

AMD DUAL CORE 4200
2GB RAM
1 X 300GB MAXTOR
1 X 200GB MAXTOR
6600GT 256MB GRAPHICS
GIGABYTE K8N-SLI MOBO
WIN XP HOME SP2

So it arrives, and as specified it's plug and play, just turned it on and installed everything. Obviously after 2 months of ripping my hair out I'm a little

psychotic on checking things now, so I installed all my programs (the usual anti virus stuff) and to my shock and horror IT WAS DOING THE EXACT SAME.

Everytime I reboot, space used increases by roughly 0.04GB.. and space used goes up slowly when turned on. It's not like 10mb a minute or anything, but I

know the problem when I see it.

I am also running 2 19 inch widescreen acer monitors from the graphics card, and using a logitech dinovo keyboard and mouse.. I really am desperate guys, I'm

praying someone can help me!

Is it just SATA? Is it a setting? I have no idea... I'm not a "teckie" but I know enough to get me by. I am also connected through a netgear router to the

internet so I am firewalled. I'm not sure if I've explained the "problem" properly, or if more specifics are needed to see if there's a solution, but I'm

basically crying myself to sleep every night, and it's not pleasant :-(

Any help would be so greatfully received.

Best
Mike

1.In Windows Explorer,go to Tools/Folder options/View and check "Show hidden files and folders".Look for any likely suspects.
2.Try this - http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/
3.Go to msconfig and uncheck everything except Firewall in the startup tab.It might be a startup program causing the problem.
4.Uninstall/delete anything you don`t need.
5.If your AV is Norton,replace it with AVG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back