SATA Master With ATA Slave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell XPS, that came with a 120 gig SATA Seagate Barracuda, and today i bought a 300 gig ATA Maxtor.

At this point i am stumped, becuase i have the SATA drive as the master, becuase that has the OS on it, which is Win XP Pro.

The computer doesnt even see the new hard drive, becuase there is no master or slave ATA to begin with.

what i was wondering was if there is a way to make it so that i can have the 120 gig SATA be the master, and the 300 gig ATA be the slave.

I tried to hook up the slave connection of the ATA to the new drive, but it didnt work becuase there was no master. so then i hooked up the master connection, and went into settings, and changed my main drive to the new 300 gig. This didnt work, the computer wouldnt even boot up. im guessing that this occured because there is no OS on the new drive.

The only solution that i can think of is to put the settings to where the new 300 gig is the main drive, then boot up the windows XP Pro installation CD, and install the OS on the new drive, but i would REALLY like to avoid this.

thank you VERY much!

--Makani

Welcome to TechSpot, Makani

Well, SATA doesn't have masters or slaves, just one drive per channel.

You need to set the PATA drive as a master, and change BIOS boot order to boot from SATA first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back