Saturday Night Live's choice of Elon Musk as host proves controversial

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? In addition to being the world’s second-richest person, an EV titan, and a potential Bond villain, Elon Musk will soon add “Saturday Night Live host” to his resume. The Tesla/Space X boss will present the comedy show on May 8, where he’ll be joined by musical guest Miley Cyrus.

Not everyone is happy about the choice of host. "I am really beyond disappointed in SNL," wrote Variety writer and editor Jenelle Riley. "They’ve learned nothing. A host should have some discernible talent other than … being rich? Or at least not be someone who lies about a takeover, spreads misinformation about a pandemic, and is known for abusing employees."

As noted by Deadline.com, Musk seems a surprising choice but "has shown a quick wit in his online dealings with fans, foes and the like, so may have a few surprises in store."

Musk’s online interactions have got him into trouble plenty of times in the past. Bill Gates chastised his fellow billionaire over Musk’s coronavirus comments. He also called a cave diver involved in the rescue of a soccer team in Thailand a “pedo guy,” which led to a defamation case that Musk won.

This won’t be Musk’s first TV appearance. He’s guest-starred in The Simpsons, Rick And Morty, The Big Bang Theory, and South Park, and also had a cameo in Iron Man 2.

Whether or not people agree with the choice of Musk as host, the move will doubtlessly draw more viewers to SNL. The show faced similar controversy back in 2015 when then-presidential candidate Donald Trump delivered the monologue in an episode that brought a slew of protests.

Permalink to story.

> Musk’s online interactions have got him into trouble plenty of times in the past. Bill Gates chastised his fellow billionaire over Musk’s coronavirus comments. He also called a cave diver involved in the rescue of a soccer team in Thailand a “pedo guy,”

"Bill Gates" was the subject of the previous sentence where you use the pronoun "He", which makes the reader think that Bill Gates made the comment about the cave diver.

And the cave diver told Musk to sodomize himself (before the "pedo guy" comment).

Children will be children.

Musk is indeed an oddball. He's also brought our space industry into the 21st century faster than anyone imagined.
Yes, with royalty-free access to NASA patents he did. The companies that really brought our country into the space age were companies like Grummand-Northrup, Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, General Dynamics, etc. SpaceX is a recent addition that pales in comparison, IMO.

Compared to the empire Musk has built himself... I wonder what "discernable talent" a writer and editor for Variety has?
I was going to say dude is a certified genius and a hard worker, which as for every one I have met are eccentric in many ways, I get the fact because of that people either love or hate him, but, but, you have to ask yourself is he controversial because you make up your own facts as media and then call him out when you are much less qualified.

If you don't like Elon Musk or think he is too rich or too wacky, nobody is forcing you to watch SNL, which, as has already been pointed out, is nothing like it used to be (meaning funny). Also, fortunately, nobody is forcing me to read anything by Variety writer and editor Jenelle Riley, so I won't.

Yes, with royalty-free access to NASA patents he did. The companies that really brought our country into the space age were companies like Grummand-Northrup, Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, General Dynamics, etc. SpaceX is a recent addition that pales in comparison, IMO.
I don't see those companies doing what SpaceX is doing. Are you seriously trying to downplay SpaceX's huge achievements just because you don't like Elon Musk?

He took money from the US government and NASA, but at least he did something with it, something the companies you mentioned said was impossible and were laughing when SpaceX began.

Cancel anyone who stands up for freedom. For common sense. And for individual rights.

So is the issue talent (plenty of non-talents on that show every episode) or a Green embodiment that doesn’t goose step to the militant progressive agenda.
Not like he’s going to do anything for ratings. SNL has long been a dying cesspool of ultra progressive nonsense.

Some day these shows will face the music. This ultra woke progressive movement will never catch on with the majority of the left, let alone the right.
There’s a reason ’get woke go broke’ has staying power. It’s factually demonstrable.
SNL in point has been loosing viewers since 2016.

Back