Scalpers are selling DDR5 kits for up to $2,500 on eBay

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: If a consumer product is difficult to find, you can almost guarantee that people will be selling it on eBay for inflated prices. Joining the many graphics cards, PlayStation 5 consoles, and Xbox Series X machines on the site are DDR5 memory kits, which are selling for up to $2,500.

Retailers were already selling DDR5 kits for high prices in the runup to Alder Lake’s release last month. They sold out quickly, leaving upgraders with the option of buying a DDR4-compatible Z690 board. And as we all know, high demand combined with low supply is the dream combination for eBay scalpers.

PCMag reports on some of the obscenely priced kits on the auction site. It appears that the most expensive item right now is a Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 SDRAM 5200MHz kit that has a Buy It Now price of $2,499. Corsair lists the memory at $340 on its website, meaning the eBay seller is marking it up by 635%.

Elsewhere, we see some 16GB DDR5 RAM kits from Oloy going for around $800—a 600% markup over the $160 retail price.

eBay’s own Terapeak tool shows that the average selling price of DDR5 memory over the past month is $531, while the highest selling price sits at $2,500. There has also been $86,671 in total sales.

Making the situation even worse for buyers is a shortage of power management integrated circuits (PMICs) integrated into DDR5 modules, pushing procurement time up to an estimated 35 weeks.

There certainly aren’t many DDR5 kits on eBay compared to the mountain of graphics cards and consoles, but the only people who would want them right now are those with a compatible Alder Lake motherboard, so the target audience is smaller. Owners of Intel’s latest chips could always opt for a DDR4-compatible Z690 mobo, though these tend to have fewer features. However, we noted in our reviews that whether you want to use a Core i5-12600K, Core i7-12700KF, or a Core i9-12900K, DDR5 doesn’t bring massive performance gains over DDR4 in most tasks.

Permalink to story.

Unless you need ECC on a gaming PC, DDR5 really doesn't make sense right now. Currently, DDR4 is as good as it's ever going to be and DDR5 is as bad as it's ever going to be.
The ECC in ddr5 doesn't really work like traditional ECC (only on chip error correction is done). it's just there to keep errors within the official spec because of the very high speeds it operates at.

tl;dr it's just for improving yeilds.

And to think I actually have a new gaming build that cost less than $1400.....

Damn, I should have went with a 12900k and picked up this $2500 set of RAM instead. What was I thinking? What the helI is wrong with me? Gawd...I'm so stupid!
andrew-scott-present-laughter.gif

Well, if you have money to burn, then why not spend it on RAM. So congratulations to happy sellers. But seriously, when you pay 100% over MSRP on GPU, you get at least noticeable performance (and sometimes new features) boost but what is the logic behind spending even more on RAM given that there is no noticeable performance uplift?

Unless you need ECC on a gaming PC, DDR5 really doesn't make sense right now. Currently, DDR4 is as good as it's ever going to be and DDR5 is as bad as it's ever going to be.

The problem is most upper end motherboards don't come with DDR4, only DDR5. Not sure it is an issue but just wanted to throw that out there.

The problem is most upper end motherboards don't come with DDR4, only DDR5. Not sure it is an issue but just wanted to throw that out there.

There shouldn't be a problem - for now- getting a DDR4 motherboard. Another website published this story with the high price at $3000. I don't see a reason to fit DDR5 at this time, new RAM versions have taken around a year to settle into the market.

More ike -5 fps lol... the scalpers can keep all their electronics!! I got all my **** @ MSRP 5800X rx 6800xt im :) so F*ck them **** the scalpers

There shouldn't be a problem - for now- getting a DDR4 motherboard. Another website published this story with the high price at $3000. I don't see a reason to fit DDR5 at this time, new RAM versions have taken around a year to settle into the market.
well DDR5 wont be worth it for 2 years minimum. Im wating till 1 year after AMD AM5 Comes out asn we finally have AN AMD APU with RDNA2 iGPU Built in ALL RYZEN 6000/7000 CPUs Cuz im dont with discreat Graphcs cards... teher way too exensive now and thanks to people paying the prices AMD/nvida/ & Prob Intel will rasi their MSRPs to +10-30% on top the real MSRP of $1000 + so **** all GPUs amd waining for a 20 DualCU ?20 WGP RDNA2/ or 3 iGPU in next gen ryzens (6000/7000) and better be good enough for waht I need.. I cant aford $1000+ anymore adn im almsot gonna just go with 1080p on a Xbox Series S F***c all this SH***IT

One does not simply get and install a DDR5 memory kit...
One does not simply walk into a store and get DDR5, ITs gates are guarded by, not just scalpers, but online ones too you will not just walk out alive!!!
My attempt at a parody to LOTR FSOFR lol

Back