Scam alert: If you received an unsolicited smartwatch in the mail, don't turn it on

Daniel Sims

Staff
PSA: A common tactic for cybercriminals is to distribute storage drives, phones, or other internet-connected devices filled with hidden malware to hack victims and steal their information. Although smartwatches haven't been known for major security breaches so far, they carry many of the same vulnerabilities as other IoT products and warrant a similar degree of caution.

US military service members have recently reported receiving smartwatches in the mail which they didn't order. It is unclear who sent the devices and why, but foul play is suspected, and the Army's criminal investigation division (CID) advises recipients to never turn the watches on.

The CID reports that the smartwatches have automatically connected to Wi-Fi networks and smartphones independent of user prompts upon activation, indicating that they could be an attempt to infiltrate networks belonging to military personnel. Although no one has confirmed that the devices contain malware or are collecting and sending information, that remains a distinct possibility.

Android phones and other internet-connected devices from third-party sellers have been known to carry pre-installed malware. Although smartwatches haven't been associated with major security incidents, they are uniquely suited to nefarious snooping.

As wearables, they record and store significant amounts of biometric and location data. They also have microphones, and their wireless connections to smartphones could potentially put those devices at risk. The greatest concern is that someone could be using the unsolicited gifts to scrape military secrets.

Another, more benign explanation, is that the senders are trying to pump up online product reviews in a fraudulent practice called brushing. It involves vendors purchasing their own products and then sending them to random addresses and writing positive reviews in the recipients' names on retail sites like Amazon to boost ratings and visibility. Despite the lack of real customers, the record that someone bought and shipped the items lends the reviews increased legitimacy in the retail system.

The US postal inspection service advises that anyone who receives suspicious unsolicited packages from online retailers should notify the retailer, look for fraudulent reviews in their name on the retailer's website, and check to see if their personal information hasn't been compromised. The CID advises service members who find the mysterious smartwatches on their front doors to report them to their local counterintelligence or security managers.

Permalink to story.

Maybe these smartwatches are for improving map in their area. In fact aren't they doing the same thing as Google maps car were doing when they map an area? They connect to any wifi network to snoop their ID names and passwords. It's not like this practice is new so maybe the smartwaches are from Google.

Maybe these smartwatches are for improving map in their area. In fact aren't they doing the same thing as Google maps car were doing when they map an area? They connect to any wifi network to snoop their ID names and passwords. It's not like this practice is new so maybe the smartwaches are from Google.
If they were from Google, there would be clear communication from Google.

If they were from Google, there would be clear communication from Google.
When Google maped countries with their cars and snooped WiFi data, they did not communicate at all, and that's why they were fined for this. It was a parallel reminding to a shady practice already "old".

When Google maped countries with their cars and snooped WiFi data they did not communicate and that's why they were fined for this. It was a parallel reminding to a shady practice already "old".
🤦‍♂️
No, that doesn't even come close to handing out hardware like candy. Why would Google not get those people to officially sign up for it before shipping out a device. Heck, why wouldn't they just ask Android owners and use their phones (assuming they don't already lol). There are far more logical explanations here.

Man, it is not your day today, is it?

🤦‍♂️
No, that doesn't even come close to handing out hardware like candy. Why would Google not get those people to officially sign up for it before shipping out a device. Heck, why wouldn't they just ask Android owners and use their phones (assuming they don't already lol). There are far more logical explanations here.

Man, it is not your day today, is it?
Well, I am glad to yield first and I even admit that this is your day.
Though this may be too subtle.

-
How can they just connect to Wi-Fi without permission or the password?
Arguably, I think you would need an "inside man" (or woman), at an ISP to provide you with the stock, as shipped, (or administrative), password list for their routers. Pretty big project and a pretty long list, eh?

Are public wi-fi "hot spots" even password protected?

I've only used wi-fi once, on a computer that I didn't feel like running a 50' CAT-6 cable to in the upstairs front bedroom. The adapter is a PITA, always waking the machine after about 20 minutes. I plan on yanking it, and throwing it away. I guess I'm "hardwired" old school, don't even own a cellphone.

Last edited:
How can they just connect to Wi-Fi without permission or the password?

Your Android phone stores the SSID and the PSK and Google happens to have access to your phone.
When you logon to your g-account on another device this data is shared between devices.

Not sure about iPhones and shared Wi-Fi data, didn't own one,

Your Android phone stores the SSID and the PSK and Google happens to have access to your phone.
When you logon to your g-account on another device this data is shared between devices.
Holy s*** man! Why in God's name would they not come up with a better way?
Well, thanks for the education brother.

I'm sorry, but did you just assume someone had a gender?
I know right? Silly me. That said, these days the only way you can tell with a tiny bit of certainty, is by looking at the orbital lobe. Men's are more prominent. You know, that, "cave man brow".

And this is where we go off the topical rails.;)

Rachel Levine was our health secretary here in PA. Shim had me completely fooled. I would watch her TV briefs about covid, while musing to myself, "wow, that is one butt ugly woman."

There's a way out of this quandary though. Congress should stop its bickering and trying to impeach one another, and pass a law stating that "all new public buildings should be required to have three rest rooms." So, one men's, one women's, and one with a fluorescent rainbow on the door, summarily letting the chips fall where they may.

Ron DiSantis could shamelessly wear his white patent leather boots into that one, without fear of reproach.
images

Nancy Sinatra, is well past her prime now, at age 83. It probably wasn't hard for "meatball Ron", to overpower her for them
boots-2-album-cover-sticker__13063.1540256474.jpg

I never noticed it before, but she does look quite a lot like her dad, "Ole Blue Eyes".

Last edited:

Ok, so how do you log onto this new device without internet access? You kinda need wifi first.

Ladies and gentlemen, please adjust your tinfoil hats.

Which is not how the article phrases it. Whoever wrote this made it sound like you turn the thing on and it magically is able to connect to your WiFi without you inputting anything.

SIM card ring any bell?
We were discussing how a smartwatch was connecting to wifi on its own. At no point was a SIM card brought up.

I've never had a SIM card carry my wifi settings to a new phone either. Maybe some do, but then, who gets a random smart watch in the mail and just decides to take the SIM OUT OD THEIR PHONE and put it in a random smart watch?

Still sounds like an extremely convoluted explanation.

Back