Screwed by Halo Reach until further notice

treetops

I bought a copy from gamestop, the man said if the disc does not work you have 30 days to return it for another copy no refunds will be given. I figured cool, all I want is for it to work. I get home open up my taco bell and put my new game in my xbox 360. it says unreadable. So I finish my taco bell and return to gamestop. The lady looks at the cd and says there is ring around it. This ring is due to me damaging the disc. I tell her no, I simply put it in and it said unreadable. She states her policy dictates that no replace or refund can be issued. She offers store credit of 22$ I paid 65$. right before I was going to take her offer, because what can I do with a unreadable disc? She says microsoft will replace the disc.

So tomorrow I will call Microsoft and see whats what.

But what the hell, I ****ing bought a brand new game from these ***** and they tell me specifically "if you have any problems with your xbox 360 reading the disc we will replace it within 30 days of purchase".

If it was not a chick at the counter when trying to replace the disc, especially if it was the guy I bought it from in the first place. I would have raised ****ing hell.

Best case scenario I call Microsoft and get a replacement in what 2 weeks by mail?

Worst case scenario, microsoft does not give me a replacement and I end up getting banned from gamestop for ***** slapping the first employee who gets brave enough to try and remove me from the counter before the cops get there to tell me to leave.

Lesson
Uh open your case at the store in front of the clerk to make sure you do not have a ring on your disc.

That sucks man :dead:, sorry to hear. I had a similar issue when Halo 3 came out and I purchased the limited edition with scratched discs. I bought mine at Best Buy and they weren't really keen on talking until I put some pressure on them and they finally budged. Turns out though that whoever designed the case created a flaw in the way the disk was held and Microsoft ended up replacing any scratched discs they got with ease.

However your case seems like you just got unlucky with a scratched disc. This is clearly something Gamestop should be replacing and appears like a lazy employee not wanting to do her job and rather pass the buck. I say go back to Gamestop and talk to someone else or the manager. And don't be rude, they will be less likely to help imo. Just explain what happened calmly that you got the game opened it and tried it out and the disc didn't work. If they still won't help out and you used a credit card this might warrant a chargeback. You can of course drum up some bad PR through twitter or Consumerist which might work for you but that's not a guarantee. Of course lastly Microsoft shouldn't have any issues with replacing your disc but like you said it might take some time.

Hope it all gets sorted out! :grinthumb

PS: You're right about opening stuff in-store, especially expensive electronics so you don't get screwed.

This is why I make backup disks of games that I buy, it's a totally legal way to make sure you don't get screwed. I call it the "Xbox 360 Self-Insurance Solution" :)

If it makes you feel any better you already overpaid for the game anyways, it's good but not another $65 good...

Try playing music. No really, I'm being serious. Stream an MP3 from your PC or play one of the crap ones that they put on the box as demos, and try the disc again.

We see this alot in the FFXI gaming community with the Wings of the Goddess discs for some reason. It says disc unreadable, but if you play an mp3 while loading it up, sure enough, the POL viewer loads.

It might work for you as well. Couldn't hurt to try, anyway.

Try playing music. No really, I'm being serious. Stream an MP3 from your PC or play one of the crap ones that they put on the box as demos, and try the disc again.

We see this alot in the FFXI gaming community with the Wings of the Goddess discs for some reason. It says disc unreadable, but if you play an mp3 while loading it up, sure enough, the POL viewer loads.

If it's a ring on the disc, it's very likely his 360 did it, and isn't actually the store's fault.

And even if it was already scratched, unless the item was already out of it's plastic wrapper and the stickers on the border removed/damaged, it's not the store's fault since it came broken to them. The only time it's the store's fault is if the item was used/opened before purchase and what you received was not what you paid for.

I don't know if you misquoted me, but I wasn't blaming the store. I was just offering a solution that works for the Discs that I have issues with.

I have a few discs that have rings - including one very worn copy of Oblivion - that works fine. It was just a suggestion to see if it works out.

Gamestop does test discs before they sell them used (unless they stopped that practice) so I believe they thought it was a working disc. What will it hurt to try the Mp3 method?

What does it cost them a nickel to make a game disc? I bought 50x 16 gig blank dvd's for 25$ off newegg(1$ something each for me?). Microsoft wants me to send in my xbox 360 and all. The store should supply a replacement. I should have just bought it from Walmart or Kmart they would have replaced it no questions asked. I am going to get it cleaned at block buster for 3$, if that doesn't work I will get a replacement from walmart, you do not even need a receipt to replace a video game. Last but not least I will never shop at gamestop again.

What does it cost them a nickel to make a game disc? I bought 50x 16 gig blank dvd's for 25$ off newegg(1$ something each for me?). Microsoft wants me to send in my xbox 360 and all. The store should supply a replacement. I should have just bought it from Walmart or Kmart they would have replaced it no questions asked. I am going to get it cleaned at block buster for 3$, if that doesn't work I will get a replacement from walmart, you do not even need a receipt to replace a video game. Last but not least I will never shop at gamestop again.

As I said before:

It was either a) scratched by your 360 or b) not the store's fault if the game was sealed and it was actually scratched before use. Walmart and Kmart would have given you the same answer regardless of whether or not one of the above applies.

The only one you need to blame here is Microsoft for a) making a shitty console or b) providing you with a defective product.

You might be interested in this article TT. There seems to be quite a few people on the Bungie forum who are having similar issues. From skimming over the thread it appears first generation 360 owners can't get the console to read the disc but it works on later generations fine. Not sure if you have another 360 or friend who has one to test it, but this could be your problem even with a scratch.

Last but not least I will never shop at gamestop again.

Good call, they have terrible policies and are not looking out for the best interest of gamers, but some of there employees are pretty cool at least a couple I know.

Not the store's fault if the game was sealed and it was actually scratched before use. Walmart and Kmart would have given you the same answer regardless of whether or not one of the above applies.

Retail outlets can't sell faulty items, have a policy to exchange it and simply not honor it because they have a counter policy. That could easily result in many changebacks and fines onto the merchant. However that point appears moot now as what I mentioned above might be the cause of TT issues.

You might be interested in this article TT.

Haha, oh wow.

They should use this thing called "testing" to prevent stupid **** like this from happening.

This is the equivalent of Ford releasing a new car and they find out after manufacturing and selling it to the public that it can't run on certain types of gasoline.

Haha, oh wow.

They should use this thing called "testing" to prevent stupid **** like this from happening.

All of Bungies original 360's RROD :p .

But being serious ya they should have, considering Halo 3 launch had its issues I thought Microsoft/Bungie learned there lesson. Oh well, they fixed quite a bit of things so I can't complain, just disappointed and sad for those affected.

All of Bungies original 360's RROD :p .

But being serious ya they should have, considering Halo 3 launch had its issues I thought Microsoft/Bungie learned there lesson. Oh well, they fixed quite a bit of things so I can't complain, just disappointed and sad for those affected.

Do fill me in on what they fixed, because the 2 major problems on the 360 have been there since release.

Do fill me in on what they fixed, because the 2 major problems on the 360 have been there since release.

I'm assuming you mean the faulty hardware? The most glaring issue RROD has been fixed in later generations specifically Jasper & Valhalla. Disc scratching another issue from early on from my understanding due to missing padding in some consoles should have been fixed in later generations too (not including moved consoles).

Now if you're referring to quality of games which you've been quite vocal about being bad on the 360 is irrelevant since it's subjective. And when I mentioned fixes or improvements I was talking about the game itself not the 360 fyi.

I'm assuming you mean the faulty hardware? The most glaring issue RROD has been fixed in later generations specifically Jasper & Valhalla. Disc scratching another issue from early on from my understanding due to missing padding in some consoles should have been fixed in later generations too (not including moved consoles).

Now if you're referring to quality of games which you've been quite vocal about being bad on the 360 is irrelevant since it's subjective. And when I mentioned fixes or improvements I was talking about the game itself not the 360 fyi.

First, the RROD was never fixed, they only removed the red LED light from the latest 360, so while you cannot technically get RROD, the error is still there. It's only a matter of time before the new slim starts failing.

Second, the padding is still not there, and it still scratches disks.

Third, I've never said 360 games are bad, I said they're overrated.

Get your facts straight before you go posting things that aren't true.

First, the RROD was never fixed, they only removed the red LED light from the latest 360, so while you cannot technically get RROD, the error is still there. It's only a matter of time before the new slim starts failing.

Second, the padding is still not there, and it still scratches disks.

Third, I've never said 360 games are bad, I said they're overrated.

Get your facts straight before you go posting things that aren't true.

I'm sorry your just clueless now and it's getting tiring, RROD in later generations have decreased significantly and from reports fall in line to reasonable levels. Likewise padding issues from early generations which caused scratches seem to have been rectified. More studies and data need to be collected to gain a better picture, but early indications are not in favor of your "facts".

Now if you were someone who got burned by early generation hardware failures I can understand your frustration. But sheepishly following the notion that all 360's from different generations are the same is naive.

I'm sorry your just clueless now and it's getting tiring, RROD in later generations have decreased significantly and from reports fall in line to reasonable levels. Likewise padding issues from early generations which caused scratches seem to have been rectified. More studies and data need to be collected to gain a better picture, but early indications are not in favor of your "facts".

Now if you were someone who got burned by early generation hardware failures I can understand your frustration. But sheepishly following the notion that all 360's from different generations are the same is naive.

Padding issue hasn't been fixed and RROD is still there.

Deal with it.

I'd tell you I would be laughing from the comfort of my chair when 360s start failing left and right, but I know you'll just go a buy a new one, which only serves to feed Microsoft's spree of shitty product making (See: Kinect).

Sorry you don't like the truth that later generations don't seem to have major hardware flaws like the early ones did from poor design. If you want to believe they do go right ahead, but current data doesn't support your position. Oh and I've only had one 360 which I still use.

Not sure if they have a legit source as I haven't researched the issue myself, but I thought I'd share this post from Fudzilla: http://www.fudzilla.com/games/games/games/microsoft-admits-haloreach-flaw

"In a statement, Microsoft said that it was aware of a very small number of customers reporting that their copy of Halo: Reach is causing a ‘disc read’ error. Redmond has not yet come up with a definitive reason for the problem or said that faulty copies will be replaced. Instead it wants Reach players affected by the problem to contact Microsoft customer support at 1-800-4MY-XBOX for troubleshooting assistance."

It appears to be a real issue Matt, reading around the Bungie forum over the past week many older generation owners are having issues. Some just exchanged there disc for a new one where they bought it from and are now fine, but others weren't so lucky.

will this work for any game? and does it have to be streaming? or could i hook up my zune or play it from HD?

I fixed it a few weeks ago and this is how. I went into a used dvd store and asked them to clean my disc, they did it for free, but it could cost you 3$ which is not bad at all. Anyways they insisted it would not help, however I read from multiple sources that its the bees knees. Low and behold my game runs perfectly now. If you do this make sure to ask them to grind down around the ring the best they can. Supposedly game shops and blockbusters can do this as well.

Wal mart WILL replace your dvd without a reciept, luckily I did not have to stick it to them.

lol I don't even want to reread my original post I know I was really pissed.

So now that the game runs perfectly what do you think of it? Just curious since I don't have the game myself although I do have the original Halo.

As someone whose already played way to much Reach since it was released I'll say its pretty good depending on what you like mailpup. The campaign is different and very enjoyable with a great ending imo, but to short for my taste which is sadly the case with most console games nowadays. The multiplayer is fun if you get a good game going, but some of the maps/game types are a bit irritating which Bungie has been working on. Firefight is a lot of fun just wish they designed more maps like the ODST ones. The game can be picked up for $50 bucks on Amazon at the moment and I'm sure come black friday you'll be seeing it for even less if you're waiting for a cheap deal.

Just my 2¢

Back