Script Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seawitch

Hi All
I use mainly Papyrus in regular Italic on my Website , I was in a Cyber Café the other week when I called in on my site and found things looked strange, the script was different, appeared to be in non Italic bold, it looked terrible, which bothers me, is this common and what on Earth is it?
It wasn't that way on the few other computers I've seen my site on, but I need to find out what caused this if I can.
Thanks.
Seawitch

It depends on internet browser settings, should be an option under tools>options>content (for firefox)

Regards,

Korrupt

Hi Korrupt
Thanks for the rapid response! So it only affects some (most?) FireFox users?
My webstats says that right now that's about 16% of my traffic.
Not sure what to do!
Seawitch

The problem may possibly be related to the fact that you only have one font listed.

Good practice is to set your page in a particular font, and then to give additional "fall back" fonts in case the one you preferr to display the page with isn't present on the viewing computer. Evidently, you've used MS Office to create your page, which unfortunately follows its own set of rules.

I will check your site in firefox now. Was this the browser you used at the internet cafe?

Edit: It displays fine in Firefox 1.0.7, though the page heading does appear slightly further to the left. On removing papyrus from my fonts directory, the title of the page became shorter but the rest was fine (but only looking at the front page).

Hi Spike!
Yes, villian MS office, and I use Terrapin ftp, yet to be mastered by myself, so I need a more savvy friend to help me there.
I just don't know anymore which browser I was usng at the Internet Cafe.
But thanks for this, so I should use a popular option in small amounts on each page.
BB
Seawitch

Hi Seawitch :)

Basically, there are some font's compatible with most browsers, some that are compatible with a few major ones, and some that most people probably wouldn't have installed anyway.

I shall try to look up the list for you. Essentially, you need to add something into your script.

Instead of explicitly setting papyrus, you need to set for papyrus, or failing that the nearest member of the same font family etc...

Here is a page that should explain the basic idea better than I, and gives a very short list of the most common examples... http://www.shire.net/learnwebdesign/nocss/fonts.htm

If you need a more thorough table, let me know, and I'll see if I can find one.

MM Spike/All
Thanks for the trouble you've taken for me here, and at least I understand what my problem actually is now.
I've saved that link to Cool Tools Spike.
BB
Seawitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back