SD Ram Query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I have an IBM 677hz P3 PC which was running on 2 sticks of sd ram with 128 ram in each. I had an old 256 sd ram chip from another pc and I thought I would replace on of the 128 sticks to get a bit of extra ram but the pc would not start with the new 256 stick. I tried it with the 256 alone, and with the 128 sticks but it would not go. Can anyone tell me why or what I should do so it would work.
Thanks for your help
John

Are you sure? I tried the PC with just one 128m stick and it worked. But for some reason it wouldn't with just the 256. Might it be something else?

realblackstuff said:
That PC needs RAM in pairs, e.g. 2x128MB and 2x256MB, each pair of the same type, and all pairs of the same speed.

No. The entire point of DRAM (64bit) was so that you no longer needed to get two modules.

maggsy: That PC may only support RAM that is low-density. If you have a newer 256 stick it is going to have a very high chance of being high-density RAM. Usually what happens is high-density sticks are read as only half their size, but it is common for them to not even get to POST. If you no longer have a manual, you may wish to look for one online to confirm that your motherboard doesn't support high-density modules, if in fact that is what your 256 stick is.

Are you also sure the 256 stick is functional? Also, if your motherboard does not support SPD and is set for 133mhz FSB and the stick is not, it may also not post. In either case, look up your motherboard manual or give me a bit more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back