Seagate finally joins consumer SSD market, revamps enterprise lineup

Jos

Staff

Despite being one of the world's largest manufacturers of hard disk drives, Seagate has been somewhat slow or hesitant to jump into the SSD market, especially with consumer-focused drives. But today the company is finally getting serious about flash-based storage with the introduction of a full range of products that includes everything from 2.5" drives for general consumers to PCIe-based accelerators designed for servers.

600 SSD

First up is the 600 SSD, Seagate’s first consumer focused solid-state drive, which comes in both 7mm and 5mm thicknesses for ultrathin devices -- a first for SSDs following Western Digital’s introduction of the form factor with the Blue UltraSlim HDD and SSHD. The drive retains the 2.5-inch laptop design, supports SATA 3 (6Gbps), and will be available next month in 120GB, 240GB, and 480GB capacities.

seagate ssd

In terms of performance, the 600 SSD is rated for up to 500MBps and 400MBps in sequential reading and writing, as well as random reads and writes up to 80,000 IOPS and 70,000 IOPS, respectively. As it’s often the case these figures will be a little more conservative on the lower-capacity model.

600 Pro SSD

The Seagate 600 Pro SSD is designed for entry-level enterprise markets and is based on a SATA 3 interface like its non-Pro sibling, rather than SAS like the rest of Seagate’s enterprise lineup. Given that they share the same Link A Media Device’s LM87800 controller and MLC NAND, performance is largely the same, with sequential read and write speeds only slightly higher at up to 520MBps and 450MBps.

Other than that the 600 Pro adds power loss protection, claims to offer the "industry's highest" highest IOPS rate per watt, has higher endurance and a corresponding bump in warranty coverage from three to five years. It also comes in a wider range of capacities, including 100GB, 120GB, 200GB, 240GB, 400GB, and 480GB.

1200 SSD & X8 Accelerator

Seagate is also expanding its enterprise product lineup with the Seagate 1200 SSD and the X8 Accelerator PCIe SSD. The first of them is a next-generation SAS-based drive that supports the latest 12Gbps SAS standard, as well as 6Gbps SAS, and reportedly offers double the performance of its predecessor. The drive is available with as much as 800GB capacity and comes in either 1.8-inch or 2.5-inch dimensions.

seagate ssd

Lastly, X8 Accelerator an eight-lane PCI Express 2.0 card designed to offer the fastest performance in high end servers. Available in capacities up to 2.2TB, the top model is rated for 1.1 million random read IOPS, and its endurance is pegged at a whopping 33 petabytes.

Pricing information isn’t year available for any of the new SSDs. As far as benchmarks are concerned, AnandTech tested both the 600 and the 600 Pro, and found that while performance was up there with the competition, high idle power consumption can be a deal breaker for notebook users.

Permalink to story.

Seagate has a bad reputation lately the last few years, I'll stick with my vertex 4 512gb SSD thanks.

soldier1969: I thought Vertex 5 was around the corner, but it ain't: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SSD-Vertex-5-Vector-OCZ,22031.html

Too late for Seagate, they won't catch up with the market, unless they go against their normal policy and drop the prices where they should be. High level consumption in the idle state is really a deal breaker for any kind of mobile device.

From the PR looks like they are prepping something they will boast for a premium price, in which they will fail for sure.

Anyhow, extra playa on the market for SSD prices is an extra oil for sledges on the way down.

BREAKING NEWS: A garbage hard drive manufacturer is joining an already flooded industry of quality SSD products.

Nuff' said

Seagate drives are not garbage!! Your statement is ridiculous.

Well lets see. Over the 1000s of computers that iv serviced in my lifetime(I work in IT), I can almost tell you what brand of hard drive is failing from the noise it makes. I can honestly say that BY FAR the WORST hard drive manufacturer that I have experienced with the most number of failures has been Seagate. Im looking at a stack of dead ones on my shelf as I type this. I wont even get into performance after the first year. The failure rate that I have seen with WD has been much better, and believe it or not Samsung made a decent product as well. Of course this was before Seagate got it hands on samsungs hard drive division. I dont purchase Hatachi, so I have no comment on those.

So with all this in mind I say yes, "Seagate Hard Drives are GARBAGE" Maybe ill toss some more of them in the trash today.

Hopefully their SSDs don't constantly show Read / Seek / ECC errors in the S.M.A.R.T. data like their HDDs do...

As a random anon I'll back up the assertion that Seagate are garbage. Because despite them withholding their actual failure rates everyone still knows.

Seagate are garbage.

As a random anon I'll back up the assertion that Seagate are garbage. Because despite them withholding their actual failure rates everyone still knows.

Seagate are garbage.
I see you are back at it. Same person! Same stupid phrase!

I have had many seagate drives never had one fail...Your One person, ive put seagate in tons of computers over the years and out of every machine that has had a seagate drive, I dont think ive ever seen one fail (Mostly because after 5 years most of those machines get replaced anyways but whatever). I have one in my current rig as a data drive now?

Also on the Seagate SSD's, look forward to seeing these on the market, I love my Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512gb and wont be getting rid of that anytime soon. Though im looking into one for my laptop so I might take a gander at these.

Seagate are garbage.
Plural verb requires a plural subject. Why don't to try and learn English before you give lectures on what I'm sure is your, "extensive background of testing competing HDDs".

And for the record, I buy Seagate and Western Digital hard drives, and haven't had a failure in either brand.

Maybe you're plugging yours in wrong or something. Buying seconds? Talking out your a** because you like the smell and the "purr"?

Too late for Seagate, they won't catch up with the market, unless they go against their normal policy and drop the prices where they should be.
What in God's name are you talking about? Seagate drives are always priced competitively with the likes of WD.

Seagate fanboy much? Someone must have spit in your cheerios this morning.

Someone must have spit in your cheerios this morning.
No but you sure are trying. Why else would you be trolling. There is a reason I'm a Seagate fanboy, there is very little wrong with Seagate drives. In fact I've had just as much trouble out of all name brands, as I have Seagate. But you know the difference between me and you, I won't go around chastising other name brands, when I choose to follow one.

Seagate fanboy much? Someone must have spit in your cheerios this morning.
God, Five out of a hundred guest post are really worthwhile! That other 95 though, wow, they must be your twin sisters.

Why don't you deal with me? You can't start calling me "fanbois" simply because you don't have anything to contribute.

I buy Seagate and WD drives, and none of them have failed on me. In fact, I still have the OEM WD "Caviar Blue" SATA I(!) purring away just fine in my 8+ year old eMachine.
Of course, I don't use anywhere near all of my machines everyday.

Now, I suspect you OTOH, sit in front of one miserable turd 24/7. That being said, you should probably buy enterprise class drives. Industrial duty trolling, requires industrial duty equipment, it's that "simple".

Back