Security recommendations for a Dell Vostro 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambushedbaby

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the security forum, but since it's not a 'problem' per se, I opted for here.

Purchased a new Vostro 1500 laptop for my son in the Marines:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5270
1.4GHz, 800Mhz, 2M L2 Cache
15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD for Vostro 1500
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 DIMM
128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
160G 5400RPM SATA Hard Dr
XP Home Edition, SP2
Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron
Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N Mini-card

The machine has no security software pre-loaded and I'd like to send him some instructions for downloading security software before his machine becomes a nightmare.

My first suggestion would be AVG Free/AVG antispyware, then perhaps AdAware, SpywareBlaster and Spybot.

Does anyone else have suggestions for making this machine as impenetrable as possible?

He also has never had a laptop before (nor have I) so if there is anything we need to know pertinent to laptop security/maintenance could you offer your advice?

Thank you, all.

Install Glarysoft's free utilities, and download and install all Microsofts "critical updates". Download and install Microsoft's free 90-day trial of Live OneCare. It's $49.95 a year and can be installed on 3 PC's using one license...

You will also find that security recommendations vary greatly between us TechSpot "evangelists" and members. Rest assured that we do know our stuff

Thank you Tmagic,

I do know that you know your stuff. Don't post much, but find most of my answers here without needing to. 8)

what I have listed above comes from having worked through some previous issues here. Is there anything new I should know about, or are my suggestions complete enough to keep a not so tech savvy Marine from gunking up a new machine in a week?

I'm a little confused, though. Your link goes to a case study of Columbia Sportswear Company?

You mean updates from here?
http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

I'm sending him an email with links and directions. The machine shipped today, so I'd like to get them to him tomorrow or ASAP.

thanks for your thoughts

Shari

your current list of security software is a good one.

make sure you run a firewall -- Personally I recommend Comodo.
At least enable the Vista Firewall before you connect the new system to the
Internet!!!

Also read host file

Google for Belarc Advisor; it will report missing security updates :)

thanks for the Glary utilities info, Tmagic,

it sounds similar to CCleaner, what is the difference?

jobeard,
He's running XP, I assume there's a windows firewall with that, as well?

First thing I'd like him to do is get out to AVG for the antivirus/spyware stuff. After that?

Looked at your host file link. Most of it is over my head, I'm afraid. Could you explain in simpler terms for me, and how complicated is it to use? Meaning how much maintaining, fiddling, tweaking would it require?

Thanks for your help, guys, I appreciate it.

Shari

NOD32 is the best AV IMO plus it has antispyware and a firewall if you get that version. But i personally use just the antivirus with antispyware as i have a firewall in my router. NOD32 doesnt use hardly any resources either youll hardly know its there if you set it up right. Until it finds some malware!

Both are excellent. Just do not install them on the same machine at the same time.

We have installed AVG antispyware, AVG antivirus, and AVG rootkit, along with Adaware 2007 free and Spybot 1.5 free, Windows Defender from Microsoft, and Comodo firewall on a large number of the Vostros with absolutely no trouble at all.

Do not fall into the trip of installing Nod32, Norton, Symantec, or McAfee together on the same machine, all intended to work at the same tim.e

It removes rootkits, and most anti-malware software does not. It is fast. It is reliable. It is free. You only need to run it once a month.

There are many ways to go in setting up a secure but functional computer...

I found AVG to be slow and frequent in updating its definitions, way too frequent for my liking.

Default CCleaner is a little "deeper" cleaner than Glarysoft's utilities...

Live OneCare replaces or modifies the XP and Vista fiewall functions

I like the frequent updates with AVG,Tmagic and so far its done an excellent job along with CCleaner which works extremely well.

hum; objectivity may be in question as several GREAT programs were left out and
BitDefender (reading this) would seem to walk-on-water.

Historically, I've found good results with goolge searches like "review some_product_name"

We would not consider "Top Ten Reviews" as a reliable operation. They funding is suspect. They do not have the organization to reliably test anything. Who are they and who pays?

No system is perfect. They all copy from each other. They all make mistakes.

Who is "we" and where do you get your information. top10 is a reputable company and their information seems to be quite accurate. And you act like you know what their organization consists of. Try reading the about us link on their page and then make your claims.

please don't get too defensive when someone differs in their opinion.

all comments, even technical suggestions should be considered as comment for consideration. you are free to disregard any/all :)

Raybays "We" are the people he works with and I agree with his take on TOP 10 reviews. If someone pays me enough money, I would write a raving rewiew of Symantec. Understand?

I wasnt getting defensive. Sorry if it seemed that way. So in other words you are saying that top10 is all bs and that list isnt accurate. While i dont totally agree that its 100% accurate. I do believe it is mostly accurate. I believe that Kaspersky and NOD32 are the best paid antivirus solutions. Kaspersky has been among the best for a long time. AVG is decent for a free solution. The reason i swing towards Kaspersky and NOD32 is the low system impact and high detection rates. Now you go ahead and install your bloated AV and run it for a while then install KAV or NOD32 and tell me you like others better. I've been a pc tech. for over 7 years. I have tried almost every AV in the book. So that being said. No I dont get my opinion from top10.But their educated opinion resembles mine. that my friends is why i posted the top10 link. Understand?

NameBrandHuman said:
I've been a pc tech. for over 7 years. I have tried almost every AV in the book. So that being said. No I dont get my opinion from top10 although it would seem that their educated opinion resembles mine. that my friends is why i posted the top10 link. Understand?
be careful here -- other have many times that experience -- eg I've been in the biz for 37 years.

just remember, everything is CAVEAT EMPTOR :)

Too true! But i beleive when it comes to software solutions for almost anything there are obvious choices to make. I understand that what i look for in AV and what other look for may not be the same. But if you want an antivirus with good detection rates that will not slow your machine down and is also install and forget IMO. NOD32 is the obvious choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back