Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has best Steam launch of the year

Bubbajim

Staff
In brief: Hotly anticipated title Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, a.k.a. Dark Souls with ninjas, has achieved a monstrously successful launch on Friday. Publicly available Steam stats show the game with 108,000 concurrent players – more than any other Steam release in 2019 so far.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice has only been out for a day and it’s already off to a great start. The critical response and players’ reactions seem to be universally positive, and that’s translated nicely into sales for FromSoftware’s latest title.

In its first 24 hours, Sekiro had 108,000 concurrent players on Steam. While that’s not the same astronomical numbers as other recent titles like Apex: Legends, it’s enough to make Sekiro the top Steam release so far for 2019.

At the time of writing, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is atop Steam’s Top Selling list, having dethroned Far Cry New Dawn, and has a ‘Very Positive’ rating from the community.

Sekiro is made by FromSoftware, the company behind infamous death-fest games Dark Souls and Bloodborne. The game is less grim and fantastical than its older brothers, opting for a gorgeous Japanese aesthetic. Set in Shengoku era Japan, players take on the role of an unnamed shinobi warrior to “unleash an arsenal of deadly prosthetic tools and powerful ninja abilities.”

The plot is one-step removed from the clichéd ‘save the princess’ trope, as players are charged with regaining their honor by rescuing a young lord. But this is first and foremost a game for players looking for a challenge, not an original story.

There is one mitigating factor in this success story. With the number of major releases being published on platforms other than Steam this year – like The Division 2, Anthem, and Metro: Exodus – competition has been less fierce for that top spot. But FromSoftware can definitely be content with the initial sales of Sekiro, especially as it’s a new IP with no brand recognition to draw players in.

Permalink to story.

Essentially an all around improvement on the dark souls games. If you like those you'll like this even more.

Essentially an all around improvement on the dark souls games. If you like those you'll like this even more.
Question, can you improve difficulty? Because if you can then jesus christ is this game hard. I cant imagine what its like on consoles playing with a inconsistent framerate.

Of course it is success. They did exactly what developer and publisher was suppose to do, make a game. No modern crap with DLC, season pass, multiple release dates, multiple versions to buy, microtransactions,... Jus plain and simple 60USD game with one release date and one edition to buy. Imagine we live in a time where that has to be praised, because it is not normal...

Of course it is success. They did exactly what developer and publisher was suppose to do, make a game. No modern crap with DLC, season pass, multiple release dates, multiple versions to buy, microtransactions,... Jus plain and simple 60USD game with one release date and one edition to buy. Imagine we live in a time where that has to be praised, because it is not normal...
Plus, just to add another point, they didn't go and adopt game to be more accessible or to make sure they get widest possible audience. They know why fans love their games and did that, even if some people might pass on it. Imagine that also not being a norm...

I am adding this as reply, because apparently I have no right to edit my own post... everything is first once, I guess.

The game is absolutely awesome!!!
and so much hard indeed insane more hard than bloodborn or darksouls
I am about 80 % of story and I can just say fromsoftware did well!
thank you master myazaki :)

Bloodborne is better imo, and it has 4 years already, but still a great game.

This also shows that a lot of pc fanboys are hypocrites. "Bloodborne sucks, god of war sucks, pc has 5555556656 (irrelevant) exclusives", yet sekiro and hellblade making huge success on steam lol. So funny. Can only imagine what would happen with bloodborne and gow on PC

This also shows that a lot of pc fanboys are hypocrites. "Bloodborne sucks, god of war sucks, pc has 5555556656 (irrelevant) exclusives", yet sekiro and hellblade making huge success on steam lol. So funny. Can only imagine what would happen with bloodborne and gow on PC
Who is saying bloodborne and gow sucks? What exactly does sekiro and hellblade being successful on pc have to with that? What the hell are you talking about?

Who is saying bloodborne and gow sucks? What exactly does sekiro and hellblade being successful on pc have to with that? What the hell are you talking about?

^this

On a lot of "pcmr vs console peasant" debates ppl say console exclusives are garbage, sekiro being so much behind bloodborne but being a huge hit on pc shows otherwise, thats all I implied.

On a lot of "pcmr vs console peasant" debates ppl say console exclusives are garbage, sekiro being so much behind bloodborne but being a huge hit on pc shows otherwise, thats all I implied.

I am. Souls games are terrible antiquated garbage lauded by young kids who confuse poor design for difficulty and "oldschool" ness. The combat here looks just as bad as Dark Souls 1 - the only difference is they added some Ninja Gaiden in to make the game feel half interesting.

What does sekiro being so much behind blooborne mean? Sales? Dev team? What? And what I see is that the vast majority of pc gamers state that exclusives are generally good(some arent) but would be better on pc where there wouldnt be a restraint of weak hardware such as the consoles. You need to be clearer about what you're saying. And what does it matter if they say that they're garbage because they're only on console, they're obviously wrong.

It sounds like they were referring to them being exclusives and not the quality of the games themselves.

I'd take anything said in a PCMR vs console peasant thread with a huge grain of salt. You are only going to attract extremes from each side in things like that. In the end both are gamers.

I can say with absolute confidence (/s) that this game sold 2.5 times better on Steam than it would have on Epic.

Why would pc gamers say Bloodborne and God of war sucks?

Question, can you improve difficulty? Because if you can then jesus christ is this game hard. I cant imagine what its like on consoles playing with a inconsistent framerate.

Absolutely not! One of the core values of the Souls games is that the difficulty cannot be changed. The game is not impossible, but it requires you need to practice and get good. It makes beating the game all the sweeter, and keeps you on your toes at all times. Adding an easy mode would make the game far less exciting and satisfying, it would undermine the whole point of the game's design.

I will say however that there are reported frame rate issues on consoles which make the combat timing infinitely more difficult. From the sounds of things, Sekiro needs to be played on PC to be enjoyed properly.

Absolutely not! One of the core values of the Souls games is that the difficulty cannot be changed. The game is not impossible, but it requires you need to practice and get good. It makes beating the game all the sweeter, and keeps you on your toes at all times. Adding an easy mode would make the game far less exciting and satisfying, it would undermine the whole point of the game's design.

I will say however that there are reported frame rate issues on consoles which make the combat timing infinitely more difficult. From the sounds of things, Sekiro needs to be played on PC to be enjoyed properly.
I wasnt upset about the difficulty, I meant improve as in make it harder. Im loving sekiro while playing at 60 fps at 1080p

"The game is less grim and fantastical than its older brothers" - until you reach Ashina Dungeon onwards... also this is the only game that made me rage very early on compared to its older brothers altogether. XD

LOL! This is some console fanboism at it's best. Time to move on little man. You guys called the death of the PC when Gamestop stopped selling PC games...and yet PCs have gained even more traction since. My PC runs laps around your XBox/PS4 and laughs at them while doing it. I'll await your reply to this typed on your console with baited breath...see you in a few years.

LOL! This is some console fanboism at it's best. Time to move on little man. You guys called the death of the PC when Gamestop stopped selling PC games...and yet PCs have gained even more traction since. My PC runs laps around your XBox/PS4 and laughs at them while doing it. I'll await your reply to this typed on your console with baited breath...see you in a few years.

I think someone didnt read my username on this website. Also typing this on an Asus xg258q 240hz monitor. Because im a console fanboy.

Hilarious!

I use pc and consoles since a kid and never found reasons to opt for a single platform nor did see any problem by using both.

One thing Im sure, pcmr fans are annoying. But is hilariois that I have a better rig than most of them and I still play on my ps4 proudly when Im in the mood for it. Arguing about boxes to play videogames is just weird. That user jumped on me calling me console fanboy and saying his pc runs circles around consoles (lol?). Weird.

All I said is that the fact sekiro is being so sucessful on pc shows that bloodborne and othet console titles would be massive hits on pc aswell, thats all I said.

Back