Sempron upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_nelson

hi, i just bought a sempron 2600+ (did have a xp 2600 but they sold me a mobile version and had no "proper" ones in stock and was in desperate need of a cpu so sempron had to do). anyway, im running it on an asus a7n8x-x board with 1gb of ddr 333 ram. the prob is that my ram doesnt want to go to 33. could someone tell me what im doin wrong? i got the bios settings at 166x11.5 with the ram set to by spd.
cheers guys.
rich

ive just tried using 100% but its still at 166.
any other suggestions????
cheers for the help
richard
p.s. as my board doesnt run ddr at double data rate would that mean the frequency would be half of what it should be i.e. 166 instead of 333?

r_nelson said:
p.s. as my board doesnt run ddr at double data rate would that mean the frequency would be half of what it should be i.e. 166 instead of 333?
I thought you already knew that. DDR (which stands for Double Data Rate) means the Ram runs at a certain speed (133mhz for example) but is capable of using the rising & lowering edge of each clock impulsion to operate. So the DDR Ram running at 133mhz can work as effectively as normal ram or SDR Ram (Single Data Rate) running at 266mhz.

So it is very normal for your Ram to be running at 166mhz since that's the speed it is supposed to be running at.

silly me :giddy: !!!
well at least that makes things clearer inmy mind. i wouldnt have got the board if i didnt know that the ram wouldnt run in dual channel mode, but i spose it doesnt really matter at the mo. i can run all the new games so im happy!
cheers for the quick response mate
rich

It should run in duel channel if its pc2700 and in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 if you have the sticks in 1 and 2 you wont get duel channel.

Damins said:
It should run in duel channel if its pc2700 and in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 if you have the sticks in 1 and 2 you wont get duel channel.
The A7N8X-X does not have a DualChannel memory controller.

Dual channel is a bit overrated anyway, especially with that Sempron. =P

Good bang for your buck though! I just recently saw a combo deal.. 3000+ Sempron with board for $99. The price is right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back