1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Senate passes anti-robocall bill in nearly unanimous vote

By Cal Jeffrey · 14 replies
May 23, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. The “Telephone Robocall Abuse Criminal Enforcement and Deterrence Act” or S 151 (aka the TRACED Act) looks to force telecoms to authenticate and block robocall and would impose higher fines and penalties on those who spam out calls using automated equipment. Penalties can go as high as $10,000 per call. The proposal also extends the statute of limitations from two years to three.

Roll Call notes, TRACED will give law enforcement the tools to pursue such scammers. If passed it would task the FCC, FTC, the departments of Justice, Commerce, State, Homeland Security, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and other agencies with providing feedback to Congress on deterrence and prosecutorial measures that can be taken at the state and federal levels.

The bipartisan bill was sponsored by Republican John Thune from South Dakota and Massachusetts Democrat Ed Markey.

"When a New England Patriots fan and a Green Bay Packers fan can work together, there's some hope for the country," Thune quipped after the vote.

Markey responded in kind saying, “There are no blue robocalls. There are no red robocalls. There are only robocalls that drive every family in America crazy every single day.”

The legislation looks to address a problem that has been getting increasing attention from the FCC of late. Although it has approval from the Senate, the House of Representative still needs to vote on it before it can be passed on to the White House to be signed into law. It is unclear how the bill will address robocallers outside the jurisdiction of the United States.

Image credit: CBS News

Permalink to story.

2. kevbev89

kevbev89 TS Maniac Posts: 181   +162

I wonder who was the one that voted no

3. kombu

kombu TS Addict Posts: 86   +178

Rand Paul the libERTARIAN lol

OptimumSlinky and Wessell Urdata like this.
  4. Plutoisaplanet

Plutoisaplanet TS Booster Posts: 92   +71

I work at a college and at times (rarely) we use an automated emergency call/texting system to notify students, faculty, and staff (especially in a disaster situation, ie. safety or technology outage). I hope this bill has exceptions for when people manually signed themselves up for automated notifications.

EDIT: There are going to be whitelisted robocalls. Here's the except from the bill describing this:
    Basically the FCC will decide on the specifics later but robocall makers will be able to verify themselves so they can be whitelisted (ie. in my college's case).

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Cal Jeffrey likes this.
  5. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,934   +1,203

Betcha 5 that the house & senate will "exempt" themselves from robo calls, during an election cycle.

Cal Jeffrey and Godel like this.
  6. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,265   +3,680

I think part of the punishment for those that use these things is at least 1,000 hours of listening to constant Robo-calls ...... if it doesn't make them crazy, they will be ready to run for public office!

wiyosaya and Cal Jeffrey like this.
  7. Squid Surprise

Squid Surprise TS Evangelist Posts: 2,510   +1,511

Alas, most robocalls come from overseas, so while nice, it won’t actually accomplish anything.

Panda218 likes this.
  8. EClyde

EClyde TS Evangelist Posts: 1,806   +665

I don't mind them all the time. Those calls are a great place to let off steam

Dimitrios likes this.
  9. PEnnn

PEnnn TS Enthusiast Posts: 76   +75

Nice, but do tell us about the loopholes and the exemptions.

But impost importantly, who was that imbecile who voted no??

10. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,399   +2,942

97-1? I guess you've just found who's been doing it. Just kick his *** to death, no need for the bill then.

11. Plutoisaplanet

Plutoisaplanet TS Booster Posts: 92   +71

Dimitrios, wiyosaya and VitalyT like this.
  12. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,835   +2,184

:facepalm:I think he should be subject to those 1000 hours of robocalls suggested by @Uncle Al !:laughing:

13. Carlos GarPov

Carlos GarPov TS Enthusiast Posts: 39   +20

A human-robocaller hahaha

Dimitrios likes this.
  14. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Evangelist Posts: 1,165   +850

Too bad the issues tearing the country apart shouldn't even be issues at all.

15. OptimumSlinky

OptimumSlinky TS Booster Posts: 36   +64

Something, something, free market, self-regulating, blah, blah, bullshit.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...