SensorTower: Mobile gamers spent $61.7 billion in 2019, Disney+ reached 30 million downloads...

nanoguy

Staff member
The big picture: There's been enough appetite in the mobile streaming and gaming markets to drive growth on both fronts. Looking back at 2019, consumers spent $61.7 billion on mobile games, and rushed in to sign up for Disney+, spending almost $97 million on the service in the two months since its launch. Meanwhile, TikTok propelled itself to become the second most downloaded app of the year.

The latest numbers for Q4 2019 from SensorTower are in, and it looks like people playing mobile games spent nearly $62 billion on Android and iOS. That's a 13 percent increase over 2018.

Games made up 68 percent of App Store revenue, and 84 percent on Google Play, which by now shouldn't come as a surprise. The most downloaded title was Call of Duty Mobile, clocking in at 180 million downloads across both stores, marking it as the best quarter since Pokemon Go's launch and social phenomenon in the third quarter of 2016.

No publisher had more than three games in the top 20, which you could say signals strong competition in the mobile space. That is true for apps, too, as TikTok managed to reach the #2 spot worldwide, next to Facebook's WhatsApp.

Overall, Google had more downloads for its apps than Facebook for the first time in five years, mostly thanks to iOS users. But more importantly, Disney convinced 18 million Android users and 12 million iOS users to download Disney+.

This makes it a very impressive launch, despite some regional limitations and technical kinks encountered from 10 million users rushing to sign up for it on day one.

To put things in better context, Disney+ was able to reach more than 70 percent of Netflix's peak revenue in December. In the two months since launch, SensorTower says the app has been downloaded 41 million times and has generated more than $97 million in revenue. And since other streaming apps also saw growth in the same time frame, this means the overall streaming/video-on-demand market has grown larger as a result.

Permalink to story.

I just don't get the fascination with mobile gaming. The experience is generally poor compared to platform and PC gaming, it chews battery and the controls are generally hopelessly frustrating.

I spend my mobile time on forums and reading tech news or watching YouTube. I'm just not really into mobile gaming whatsoever.

I just don't get the fascination with mobile gaming. The experience is generally poor compared to platform and PC gaming, it chews battery and the controls are generally hopelessly frustrating.

I spend my mobile time on forums and reading tech news or watching YouTube. I'm just not really into mobile gaming whatsoever.

..and I don't get how can someone be so oblivious to the obvious advantages of mobile gaming. it is private(family people can play games without ursurping the tv). it is convenient(available everyhere, anytime) it is confortable(just ly back on the bed or couch, as opposed to horrible back and cardiovascular destroying ''gaming chairs''), and it can be played in bite sized chunks. believe it or not, most people got no time to sit though hour+ sessions of ''real games''. There.

..and I don't get how can someone be so oblivious to the obvious advantages of mobile gaming. it is private(family people can play games without ursurping the tv). it is convenient(available everyhere, anytime) it is confortable(just ly back on the bed or couch, as opposed to horrible back and cardiovascular destroying ''gaming chairs''), and it can be played in bite sized chunks. believe it or not, most people got no time to sit though hour+ sessions of ''real games''. There.
I am a gaming enthusiast, and I have been most of my life. I game on PC and consoles. Yet, I agree with the OP. I have never had an interest in gaming on my phone beyond a 2-3 year stretch on Words with Friends. I've tried on many occasions to find SOMETHING that I enjoyed on my phone. I never have. I do understand your points though. They make sense except I'm not sure how a gaming chair is any worse for your blood circulation than sitting in any other chair.

I am a gaming enthusiast, and I have been most of my life. I game on PC and consoles. Yet, I agree with the OP. I have never had an interest in gaming on my phone beyond a 2-3 year stretch on Words with Friends. I've tried on many occasions to find SOMETHING that I enjoyed on my phone. I never have. I do understand your points though. They make sense except I'm not sure how a gaming chair is any worse for your blood circulation than sitting in any other chair.

Gaming chairs allow for more involvement during a high intensity, competitive gaming but make no mistake, they're awful for the body.
Playing on a comfortable armchair is better. Laying on the bed is by far the best though..there's a reason why we don't typically sleep in a sitting position.

Back