SETI at home classic ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedster

Effeective December 15 SETI at home classic will be terminiated. they are switching over to BOINC. I can't use BOINC because it interferes with other software. It's too bad. SETI at home classic was a simple and good program.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27885

SETI@home killed off

Placed in sarcophagus rises again

By Nick Farrell: Wednesday 23 November 2005, 07:18
[Advert]
DISTRIBUTED computing experiment SETI@home will be switched off on December 15 as it becomes part of the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC).

BOINC has been developed at UC Berkeley as a framework for volunteer computing projects like SETI@home.

According to a press release, those who are currently using SETI@home are being asked to visit here for instructions.

The workunit totals of users and teams will be frozen at that point, and the final totals will be available on the web.

The BOINC site will allow boffins to build other volunteer computing projects in areas like molecular biology, high-energy physics, and climate change study.

A spokesSeti said that those who want to keep looking for aliens can do so, but they will also be able to donate computer time studying climate change or other BOINC projects. µ

December 15th will be the last day I donate clock cycles to some cause. Perhaps that BIONC is improved now, but when seti first told us about switching to it I did, and it was a piece of crap, and its very unfriendly to dialup users. Its going to take a hell of a lot of convincing to get me to put that mess back on any of my computers.

yup. I agree. BOINC is very user unfriendly. Probably created by some egghead at the university using UNIX. I can't tell you how much I hate UNIX.
BOINC also interferes with graphic intensive programs like games and other screensavers. I have broadband and it's still a pain in the a**
I won't use it. I've tried twice and it was too complicated.

I guess I'll have to start shutting off my computer when I'm not using it.

Well it looks like there's a new version of BOINC. Better than the old one, but it's still not user friendly. The new SETI screensaver is cooler, but somehow it lacks in a few areas.
Also I noticed that the user credit was WAY off. I have almost 2000 units completed from the classic program and I only got credit for about 400.....

Is anyone other than Tarkus and I having problems with the old seti (classic) auto submitting? We've both had to manually submit for over a week now. It usually takes 2 attempts before it will send and recieve a new unit.

I've also noticed that I seem to only complete about 1-2 units from the time I leave work to the time I arrive at work the next day. Thats 16 hours. Before I was having submission problems I would return 8+ units a day with this machine.

I think that the seti guys are intentionally screwing with the Classic version as a last ditch effort to get us to switch to BOINC.

yes. It kept re-loading the same work loads over and over. I think they have a server issue. I have since removed it and tried BOINC, although according to the website the BOINC server will be down until 15 December.

BOINC is so user unfriendly, I am only going to wait 1 month. If it still doesn't work after that, I am removing it from my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back