setting up a lan

Status
Not open for further replies.
can someone help me setting up a lan to play lan based games such as dota,,, we finished setting up the hub and cables but i dont know how to configure it... do we need to set a ip add manually,,??

Best bet is to keep it simple.
You say you have a hub - it is a hub or a router? If a hub then each machine will have to have a fixed IP address; if a router then that will issue IP addresses for you if each machine is set to get one automatically.
If a hub, issue each machine with an IP address such as 192.168.1.1, then 192.168.1.2 and so on, Set the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 the same on all of them.
If you are file or other resource sharing all the machines need to belong to the same named network.

okie thanx.... is it possible that i can connect to the lan based games directly from my router?... its like this i got a laptop and desktop they are both sharing internt connection by using router so i got this idea that i will connectly directly from their hub to my router... is it possible?

depends how the whole lot is laid out. If the hub is connected to the router then this is possible - the hub does not mess with IP addresses.

AlbertLionheart said:
depends how the whole lot is laid out. If the hub is connected to the router then this is possible - the hub does not mess with IP addresses.
A hub will just perform data pass thru and NOT perform the necessary NAT function found in routers.

A hub or switch will be fine as long as you do not need to share with the Internet.

hmm,,,, do i need to put a fixed ip add for my laptop and desktop or the router will be the one to put ip add for the laptop and pc?

is this correct?

PC & LAPTOP -----> Router -----> HUB(LAN GAMING)

can someone help me to configure the setup so i can now join mah friends and own them!! lol!!! haha,,,,

It should be
PC & laptop -----> HUB ------> Router
OR
PC & Laptop ----->Router

The router should have DHCP enabled. Basically what that does is configure your address for you. If you just want to host a game then there should be a hosting feature on your game. One person hosts and the other person joins. You'll need both of your IP addresses. To locate your IP address go to

START---->RUN--->type: CMD ---->type: ipconfig

Locate where it says your IP address. Generally it will be 192.168.X.X

You need that information to play a private game with eachother.

Well first hubs are generally a poor decision considering t hey provide so much congestion on the network through broadcasting.

And Ideal connection would be

5 PCS ----Switch-----Router

All you need to play a game across your network is to be in the same SUBNET. Find out if your computers both contain 192.168.X.X IP addresses and just plug them into your game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back