Setup.exe will not run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I try to run any setup.exe, nothing happens. In the Processes, it shows setup.exe running, and right when I restart/shut down the little installshield bar pops up. I've searched all over looking for solutions to this problem, but no fixes ever seem to work.

I am running Win XP and I currently have the most recent updates.

This seems to have just started recently because I don't remember having a problem with it before a week ago.

Any ideas?

I am having the SAME problem. Everytime I try to run any setup.exe, nothing happens.
I can't find where anyone answered your question. Have you found an answer yet?

in case the problem is the result fo missing or damaged system files run System file checker. you need your XP Cd in your optical drive then open a commmand prompt and type: sfc /scannow system file checker will examine your windows system files and repair or replace any missing or corrupted files.

nmindexing service

I had a problem like this, where some setup.exe will not open or run. I tried some solutions on the web like...checking the registry and the enviroment var and i tried installing windows installer again.

The solution for me:
1. safe mode was a work around to install the setup.exe progam.

2. there was a process called nmindexing running in my services.(I disabled this sevice and restarted) It solved the problem for me. there was even another program that never wanted to initialize propperly and now it did.

It was strange as this indexing service came with the preinstalled oem of this computer right from the suppliers.

ps. go to start, run, and type in services.msc to get to the services screen and disable the nmindexing service.

pss. if this does not work then try to stop some other services and see if its not one of them stopping it from running.

I had the same problem. The solution for me was to remove the program Intel ProSet.
When I closed windows XP, I got the error/warning message
"End program Sample". I made a search with those words, found the advice to remove the ProSet program. That solved both problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back