Share network printer

bigwat

We have a printer which we would like to share but we cant because it wont work with the cross over cable (rj45) it only works by usb I don't know why can we share it this way. it a SHARP MX-3110N PCL6

Don't use a crossover cable - use a standard patch cable (plain old regular ethernet cable)

You attach the printer to any system (btw: that's a LOCAL printer on this system)

then you go to Control -> Devices & Printers; find this printer and using right-click->Properties->Sharing Tab
(A) setup the shared name.

Now, any printer in the same workgroup, goes to Devices & Printers on their system(s)
Add Printer -> Remote
the user should be able to browse and find the name given in (A).

The requirement to allow this is Print & File Sharing must be enabled
and that should open ports 137,138,139 upd + 445 tcp (for all systems)

Once that printer is on your network (use a static IP address) all you have to do is add it to your other PC via TCP-IP network printer. Make sure you have a CD or SD or USB stick with the Printer driver for it. This also works for All-In-One printers too. Don't use a Crossover cable with your Network Printer.

Thanks alot for the Responses.

OK the problem is that I cant seem to get the driver to work for the second PC, its a .inf file and I cant seem to get it installed whether by command prompt or by right click menu or by locating it in add new driver wizard...

Rather than installing over an Internet link, you can install that printer locally and never access it as local.
The same driver is used whether it's a Local vs Networked device :)

Yes I do know that, but it is that I cant connect the printer via add printer because it keeps asking for A missing driver and is saying that the driver (when I download it (.inf) wont install cus its not valid.

Don't do local on a network PRT (printer) Did you setup the printer with a static IP. The way you do this is setup as network printer Give a host name with the IP address. Then the system will ask you which make and model. Then ask you to install the driver. It's best to do it this way and let Windows find the driver off the internet in my experience. When I do it on a Corp Enterprise Domain we use PRT Server. Or sometimes we use the internet to pull down the drivers. Everyone here going to advise you a different way they do it. I see you could only get this to work as USB share. I wouldn't even use the shares and leave a PC running to manage the Printer over the network. If the Printer has it's own Network Interface Jack. Which is sounds like it does from your description then that would be the ideal way.

Your using a Multi-function Business Scanner/Printer/Copier Full Duplex Printer with multi-trays..
Drivers
http://www.sharpusa.com/ForBusiness/DocumentSystems/MFPsPrinters/MX3110N.aspx?view=drivers

Are you on a domain or workgroup?
Usually if you just purchase this system Sharp is suppose to send out a Service Rep to setup your MFBC for you.

Back