Share new USB 2.0 HP printer on my wired network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to share this new USB printer between both of my XP PCs. I am using an older broadband D-link wired router to connect to the Internet, but it does NOT have a port for the printer. I have read that security is an issue when you make things shareable. Can you help?

Connect the printer to one of the machines - right click on the printer object and goto Sharing and Security. Share the printer out. Goto the other machine and simply map the share.

Yep, it's as simple as that. Share it on one computer, then go to the other computer and open internet explorer and type \\(Name of computer printer is hooked up to). Then it should show it in the first screen and right click on it, and choose Connect...
That's all there is.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

printer sharing

For a few weeks I have been trying to add my printer to share with my wife. Found all kinds of things to try and none worked. I don't remember how I came upon ths site but browsing through it I saw someone else had asked the
same question I was going to ask. Tried it and it worked the first time. Many thanks to poertner_1274. Wish all my problems were that easy to solve.

Thank you. That's what we are here for. Remember if you have any other questions always feel free to ask. Or just sit back and soak up some knowledge from others.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back