Shared RAM for video memory question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a DELL Latitude 110L laptop I got through my school, and it has 512MB of shared memory. The brochure said 32-64 MB would be used from the RAM for the video card. According to the diagnostics for the video adapter, a maximum of 128MB is available for use. However, only 8MB is being used for the video... I hate this because all my videos and graphics look like crap.

I was curious if I can change it to have at least 32 MB? And if so, could someone tell me how to do it? Thanks in advance.

yeah just go in to the bios and increase Video Aperture Size to 32MB
but Onboard video is kinda slow so you wont feel big differencies.

latops benefit the most from adding additional memory. Saves battery time when seeking stuff from the hard drive and also adds memory robbed by integrated video like yours. You might want to add more memory - it's a wise investment.

Hmm, when I go into the BIOS settings it says that I cannot change how much memory the video card is using. Does that mean I'll be stuck with an 8MB video card forever?

yes- with laptops and MOST desktops with integrated video, the video memory used is permanent because the video card is part of the motherboard (built-in). You would be better off (especially with a laptop) by adding more base memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back