Sharing Internet connection w/ 3G broadband card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from NYC ........

I replaced my ancient laptop w/ Dell M4300 with ATT 3G B/B - Dell 5520 card. Laptop and 3G are working great; excellent speed in NYC area!

I wanted to setup a ICS configuration for several other wireless laptops but can not get connectivity to internet from "client" workstations; M4300 works fine and connects to ATT "cloud" but other workstations can not resolve DNS, etc.

Used the Wizard ... no help; configured the system manually ... no help; tried hard-wired clients through mini-switch ... no help; tried direct connect to client workstation w/ X-Over cable ... no help.

Tried every combo of firewall on/off settings I could imagine ... no help!

I have done this succesfully in the past with older "air cards" w/ CDPD. Worked fine but slow; I was expecting a speedy, portable, wireless mini-network w/ the 3G card.

Anyone know if ATT or Dell defeat the ICS feature on the newer 3G cards / connections?

Any work-around?

Your help is appreciated

setup a ICS configuration for several other wireless laptops but
This implies a network looking like
Code:
modem---system---system---system--...
Not cool at all :(
Get a 4-port wireless router and you can have
Code:
modem---router
            |
            + --- system
            |
            + --- system
            |
            + --- system
some wired and several wireless. You'll be much happier :)

3G Broadband

Mr. B:

Thanks for the reply; I was hoping to configure the laptop to be a "mobile wireless router" by using the onboard 3G card as the "WAN" side and the onboard 802.11G Wi-FI as the "wireless LAN" side.

Any further insight to the solution?

regards, dadlives2

Thanks for the reply; I was hoping to configure the laptop to be a "mobile wireless router" by using the onboard 3G card as the "WAN" side and the onboard 802.11G Wi-FI as the "wireless LAN" side.
You're not the first to attempt that approach. However, the WiFi cards in our systems
are basically receivers and they receive from a router that is the sender :)

~ $49 U.S.D will get you a usable WiFi router -- I'm sure any brand will do, but
be advised that using a Belkin router with other vendor WiFi adapters has been
"unpleasant" in the encryption area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back