Sharp's Windows 8.1 tablet packs 2560 x 1600 display, LTE

Scorpus

Staff member

Looking for a Windows 8.1 tablet with a high resolution display? Look no further than Sharp's Windows 8.1-powered Meibus Pad, which is set to include a 10.1-inch WQXGA (2560 x 1600) IGZO LCD display. At that size and resolution, it's more dense than the iPad Air's panel (299 pixels per inch versus 264), and higher resolution than many other Windows 8.1 tablets on the market.

sharp windows lte tablet igzo bay trail windows 8.1 wqxga meibus pad

The tablet packs an Intel Atom Z3770 'Bay Trail' SoC - standard for most x86-based Windows tablets - alongside 4 GB of RAM, 64 GB of internal storage and integrated LTE connectivity. The inclusion of LTE, a feature often forgotten in Windows tablets, makes this device perfect for those that require an internet connection wherever and whenever.

Overall the tablet is 9.5mm thick and weighs 595 grams, housed in what appears to be mostly plastic. As well as coming with Windows 8.1 on-board, a copy of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 is being thrown into the package.

Sharp hasn't given a price for the tablet, but it's expected to go on sale in January. Typically the company doesn't release products outside of its home nation of Japan, but we're hoping this one will find its way to the West.

Permalink to story.

I am sure it's very expensive. They need to throw in BT Wireless Keyboard, mouse or the cover with these features.

Windows applications don't scale properly at high resolutions. I have the Lenovo Yoga 2 pro with 3200 x 1800 resolution on a 13" screen and had to reduce resolution to 1920x1080 -- beautiful screen, but the native resolution is just way too much.

This tablet will have the same issues and yes there is a point at which the resolution is too much.

P.S. Let's not forget that even iOS and Android waste the resolution since they don't give you more real-estate, just scale everything and thus waste processing power driving all the extra pixels.

Windows applications don't scale properly at high resolutions. I have the Lenovo Yoga 2 pro with 3200 x 1800 resolution on a 13" screen and had to reduce resolution to 1920x1080 -- beautiful screen, but the native resolution is just way too much.

This tablet will have the same issues and yes there is a point at which the resolution is too much.

P.S. Let's not forget that even iOS and Android waste the resolution since they don't give you more real-estate, just scale everything and thus waste processing power driving all the extra pixels.
That's why you can just increase the DPI scaling.

"a copy of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 is being thrown into the package."

Why do you need two versions of MS Office??

Windows applications don't scale at all. All the UI elements remain the same size. RH00D is right in saying you can adjust the DPI scaling which will help, but it doesn't change everything. This is an annoying thing about Windows, but for the very technically savvy and IT type people, we like that high resolution for the desktop space, not just the "crispness" of the picture.

Not many are going to use or even like that crazy high resolution so this probably wont be a great seller. However I certainly want to buy one but I'll bet it will be about $1200 which holds it away from my grasp.

"a copy of Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013 is being thrown into the package."

Why do you need two versions of MS Office??
Home and Business is the name of the edition, it is only one. Home and Business is basically the base 4 applications (Word, Excel, OneNote and PowerPoint) plus Outlook.

Back