Shift key makes buttons unusable in games

Jason Chi

Shift key makes buttons unusable in games
My shift key has been acting up for at least 2 days and ever since I started playing video games, it acts funky. Whenever I press Shift (as it is the default for sprinting or using a command in the game), I am unable to press escape, enter or any other button until I press shift again. I'm not sure why this problem occurs, but I can give a couple examples of my games.

League of legends - Pressing Shift freezes the game and shows the windows cursor instead of the in-game cursor.
Rainbow Six Siege - Pressing Shift sprints, but until I let go of the key and I am unable to press any other button
Overwatch - Pressing Shift and I am unable to press any other button and the windows cursor appears in the middle.

So, shift is acting strangely - but it is slightly different from one software to another. My first guess would be malware because it does not seem to be a consistent, hardware layer type of error. However, if you have another keyboard, I would try swapping first. Also, if you have a special keyboard with specific software, please disclose this now. Otherwise, pursue as if it were an infection.

Well all of my other games act like League of Legends such as Minecraft and all of my steam games. I don’t have any malaware as I scan my pc every day. I was thinking it could be a software error. If this helps, I connected my PC to my steam link before the problem started.

SO, swapping keyboard did not change anything?
SO, you do not use any keyboard software?
SO, you have total faith in your anti-malware?

Did you install anything just before problem appeared?

You could try removing keyboard as a device from Device Manager and then re-starting to allow system to find and install your keyboard fresh.

Personally, I think someone may have changed the scancodes for your keyboard as a prank or misguided malware.

If you have a very recent restore point at a time still before the problem appeared, you may wish to try that.

Yes I trust my antivirus xD
No one uses my pc, and reinstalling my keyboard driver fixes the problem for a short time. I don’t have any system restore point.

"No one uses my pc," except almost every website you visit on the internet.

"reinstalling my keyboard driver fixes the problem for a short time" further indicates a software problem. Seems something is changing it after a short period.

I 'trust' my anti-malware too - but I have 3 others which I use from time to time as something needs to 'watch the watcher'.

My last recommendation, you might just try: https://www.bitdefender.com/support/how-to-create-a-bitdefender-rescue-cd-627.html

I just turned my laptop and everything seems ok. I’ll keep you posted if anything happens again!
Thanks,
Jason

Basically, the simplest is likely to be right. Occam's idea can be applied in many areas of life. In troubleshooting, it is simpler to think the problem is a virus and to do a free scan than to, say, replace the keyboard.

SO: I would download and run Rescue Disk (not the same as your AV). I would borrow (or, for $10, buy) a USB keyboard and try that (http://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/how-to-add-an-external-keyboard-to-your-laptop/). I would do a web search on "shift key game crash" and read up.

Thanks m8. I ran my antivirus and updated *every single driver* on my pc. The problem seems to be fixed.
Thanks,
Jason

Are you using DISCORD ? if thats the case you should turn off the OVERLAY or change its TOGGLE on some other button since the default is SHIFT.

Back