Should I be having problems with BF Vietnam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycgamer

I would have put this question in the BF Vietnam thread, but let's face it ~ with so many posts already in there, chances are no one would every actually read mine.

I'm a bit perplexed because my computer is pretty much built for gaming, and yet as I played BF Vietnam last night, it got progressively buggy with each level until on my 5th or 6th mission it was practically unplayable. Another time it basically just froze and quit.

My C drive only had about 1.5 Gigs left on it when I was playing, so maybe that was it. I cleared a bunch of programs, including BF Vietnam, and now have about 7.5 Gigs free on the C drive, so maybe if I install it again and try it tonight it will be fine.

I guess I'm just wondering if I cleared a bunch of programs for nothing. Other games, such as Mafia, Call of Duty, Max Payne 2, etc., don't have this problem on my computer. Are other people having this problem with the game? Below is a section of my computer specs for any technical experts want to take a glance and make a suggestion;

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/9/2003, 18:56:38
Machine name: MYVAIO
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
System Model: PCV-RZ34G(UC)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/24/03 11:24:42 Ver: 08.00.08
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 113MB used, 1136MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0 (4.09.0000.0900)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0000.0900 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Sony)
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_A0191043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (75Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0001.4303 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

Different games tax your resources and behave in different environments differently...at least in my experience. Cleaning your HD is always a good idea...but I guess the true test of whether it was justified is if you experience and of te same issues again. How big is your paging file, if I may ask?

I'm not sure what that is. In the computer specs I have there in my first post, is "Page File: 113MB used, 1136MB available" what you're referring to?

Sound advice from Acidmosis...

...and yes nyc, I overlooked your paging file size in your specs, and it's fine, as Acid states...my mistake (that's 2 oversights for me today on posts...show's you where my head is at)...

Thanks guys. So the GeForce FX 5200 is too weak? That's a bummer. I'm getting Far Cry today so I want the best possible experience. I thought the 5200 would be enough. I don't want to have to spend the $$ on a new Vid card, but if that's what I gotta do... how much are those things? If I recall correctly, they range in price anywhere from $300-$500+.

Here's how two Nvidia Graphics cards compare ~ mine vs. the 5950.... I can see that the 5950 is better, but what I don't know is just how much of a difference these specs make from a performance/visual standpoint.

GeForce FX 5200 Ultra:
Graphics core: 256-bit
Memory bandwidth: 10.4GB/sec
Fill Rate: 1.3 billion texels/sec
vertices per second: 81 million
max memory: 128MB

GeForce FX 5950 Ultra:
Graphics core: 256-bit
Memory interface: 256-bit
Memory bandwidth: 30.4GB/second
Fill rate: 3.8 billion texels/sec
vertices/sec: 356 million
memory data rate: 950MHz
pixels per clock (peak):8
Textures per Pixel: 16
RAMDACs: 400MHz

An incredible difference.

What you currently have is Nvidias entry-level offering, whereas the 5950 is their current high-end and though beaten (in some test) by the Radeon 9800XT, is a very good performer.

With it you will be able to run FarCry and BF:V at much higher settings than your current card could ever dream of doing. 8x AA and 8x AF with all settings high would be within reach (depending on the resolution).

But if you're going to lay down that much cash for a new videocard, I'd suggest waiting until nVidia and ATI has announced (preferably released) their next gen cards.

The first will (probably) be in April, and the latter in May.
The reason I say this is that those new cards will press the prices on current cards downwards, so you'd save some cash.

The 5200 is a cheesy card, but you should still find games playable at lower resolutions (800x600 or less, for example).

You may want to update your drivers if you haven't. www.nvidia.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back