Should I buy a Core i7 920 now or wait for better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teklord

All,

I read that the Core i7 920 & 940 will be phased out soon. Should I buy the i7 920 now or wait for better models? I ask because you can get the 920 now for $199 at Micro Center and I don't want to pass that up if there isn't going to be a comparable value coming along in the next few years. Check the link below for the Core i7 phase out story. Thx all.

Core i7 920 & 940 to go the way of the dodo

Definition of value is comparable computing power at that $199 price. The newer die shrink will probably be pricey at first, makes me think 920 now is looking good unless that story is false as some say.

The i7 920 is a great buy now, and I recommend buying one, if you are looking to buy X58 motherboards only. The forthcoming P55 chipset will only support LGA 1156 Lynnfield CPUs, and will replace the P45 chipset as the mainstream part.

So make your choice based on that.

The i7 920 is a great buy now, and I recommend buying one, if you are looking to buy X58 motherboards only. The forthcoming P55 chipset will only support LGA 1156 Lynnfield CPUs, and will replace the P45 chipset as the mainstream part.

So make your choice based on that.

As long as they replace the X58 with something better, I can wait then if I must to get the i7 920.

there not replaceing the x58s for core i7 that i know of only the lower end parts like the i5 and i3 parts.

There is always going to be something better. If you find yourself needing to upgrade at this point, then by all means get the i7. If what you have now suits your needs, then hold off unless you really desire a new setup.

All,
I ask because you can get the 920 now for $199 at Micro Center and I don't want to pass that up if there isn't going to be a comparable value coming along in the next few years.
Dude, even Nostrodamus couldn't predict where the computer industry will be, "in a few years".

The best time to buy a 2009 car, is right when the 2010 models come out. And, they're every bit as shiny. Besides, the core i5s will be obsolete soon enough also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back