Should I buy a new video card or more ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc0rchedst0rm

Like I say in the topic, I just have a few short questions in relation to upgrading. I just got a new computer, and was looking to squeeze a bit more gaming out of it.

I've got about 300 euro left over from my budget, and I'm torn between a new graphics card or more RAM. I have a ATi x1600 256mb card currently, and 2x512mb DDR2 RAM. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, and have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300.

I know for an extra 30 or 40 I could get 1Gb RAM and a x1950 Pro 256mb card. But I'm aware that we're on the edge of Direct X 10. Do you think I should wait until DX10 cards are more affordable, and get RAM at the moment, or go with the x1950 Pro? Supreme Commander would probably be the most taxing game I'd be running. Other games would be Company of Heroes, Neverwinter Nights 2, etc. Maybe Battlefield 2. What would afford me the best performance?

to answere your question the mem at the moment would do the most but do keep in to mind that the DX10 is coming out and as u get new games after it comes out u will need a new video card.

Get a new video card, much bigger impact on gaming performance than ram. The x1600 isn't much of a gaming card, get the best you can afford. 1GB of ram is supposedly OK, not much on Vista (bloaty memory hog), but should be fine.

@ Howard: I quoted the person above me and just deleted the quote right now, I remembered ;) :)

The x1600 isn't much of a gaming card

Well that's not true, it's a gaming card but it's not the best for PCI-E ( if that's what you're talking about ) For AGP it's pretty good ;)

I've got about 300 euro left over from my budget, and I'm torn between a new graphics card or more RAM. I have a ATi x1600 256mb card currently, and 2x512mb DDR2 RAM. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, and have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6300.

Well What I would do is upgrade the Videocard 1st since you have PCI-E and the ATI x1600 isnt the best you can get for it. You should get a nVidia 7800 or a ATI x1900 for your computer because RAM doesnt really matter when it comes to gaming, It's more about VRAM ( Video RAM ) and the Clocks of the videocard, Also there is a new ATI card coming out for DX10 which will make the 8800 look like last gen ;)

300 euro will get you an 8800GTS, which I highly suggest for future gaming ;) .

Yeah a video card would be better. 1GB is quite good for most games today. More RAM will only mean faster loading times. In Oblivion for example, the loading times from one area to the other will be faster since the RAM will be able to hold a larger number of textures. But a new video card will mean better overall game performance with much better eye candy. And the 8800GTS is definitely recommended, since it's a DX10 card and an awesome one to boot.

TimeParadoX said:
Well that's not true, it's a gaming card but it's not the best for PCI-E ( if that's what you're talking about ) For AGP it's pretty good ;)
It is? Wouldn't you want something more like a X1650, rather? As far as I know the X1600 is pretty slow. Besides, I believe he isn't using AGP so I'd say my statement was pretty accurate.

Thanks very much for the advice guys. I didn't know I could get an 8800GTS for my money! I've only been looking on www.elara.ie, I didn't know anywhere else really, and they seemed to have good deals. My problem is I've been kind of detached from the PC world for a few years, so everything sounds great to me!

So, can anyone recommend a website based in the European Union for me to check out? That would be great.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Yeah, a board with DDR2 memory slots and an AGP slot is quite rare.

I have noticed this to be quite common in the older Socket 478 Mobo's; like the P4---- series, which I had (ECS P4M800-M478).

windows vista recommends at LEAST 1gb of ram to operate reasonably. I would double that before upgrading your video card.

At least 512megs. 1 gig is "recommended", though my "recommended" is 4/8gigs. Trust me, vista is a BLOATY MEMORY HOG.

@OP: A better vid. card will give you much better results than more ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back