Should I continue using Limewire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

I installed Limewire on my computer, but I don't download file from the program itself but I use it to download files from isohunt, so does spyware still be able to infect the computer????

I liked kritius quote, so I usually reply with it when I have seen Limewire whist trying to clear up Malware in the Virus & Malware removal forum

I suggest further that if you suspect any Malware and you are presently tring to remove it, that all P2P programs are not just disabled, but fully removed.

P2P Warning!

• IMPORTANT I notice there are signs of one or more P2P (Person to Person) File Sharing Programs on your computer.

LimeWire

Please note that as long as you are using any form of Peer-to-Peer networking and downloading files from non-documented sources, you can expect infestations of malware to occur
    Once upon a time, P2P file sharing was fairly safe. That is no longer true. You may continue to use P2P sharing at your own risk; however, please keep in mind that this practice may be the source of your current malware infestation

I'd like you to read the Guidelines for P2P Programs where we explain why it's not a good idea to have them.

References for the risk of these programs can be found in these links: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/protection.mspx
    http://www.techweb.com/wire/160500554
    http://www.internetworldstats.com/articles/art053.htm
    See Clean/Infected P2P Programs here

I would recommend that you uninstall LimeWire, however that choice is up to you. If you choose to remove these programs, you can do so via Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs.

If you wish to keep it, please do not use it until your computer is cleaned.

Clear enough answer, even though everybody should have known it already.

It is also clear that any file you download from unverified sources may contain malware, whatever the means you use to download it, be it from P2P, Torrent, file host or software site

But I am not quite clear as regards the following related query.

Is there an additional danger from P2P in giving hackers access to your system because of the way they work? In other words can you still get infected even if the file you downloaded is clean? Gary R seems to be saying this, I just wanted confirmation.

Now, if the above answer is positive, i.e. if a hacker can exploit the P2P mechanism to infect your system, is there a difference in security between standard P2P (such as Emule or Limewire) and Torrents (such as the popular uTorrent?) In Torrents you are not offering any of your files, but only the one you are downloading.

I'll be brief..

There is just so much info and talk on P2P (Peer to Peer) File sharing software on the Net it's unbelievable :rolleyes:

Lets look at some facts:

All the well known P2P programs (Limewire uTorrent etc) do not contain Malware
P2P allows data to be available for transfer from point A to point B
Downloading Torrents is quite safe from a respectful "Safe Site"
Generally users do not download data from "Safe Sites"
Using P2P software a user must allow an exception to their Firewall
P2P software allow access in and out of your computer
Data is shared between multiple downloaders\uploaders

That's basically the grunt of it. ;)
But, this is where the fault starts for most users. What is a "Safe Site" or location?
Well if you were say downloading a Torrent Podcast from your local TV station, generally I'd say you were pretty safe
Actually many respectful Web based sites use Torrents as their main download P2P service
So what's the issue then? Especially since it's used globally on many respectful sites.

Well there are also many less desired sites that use P2P and torrents, actually these sites out weigh the respectful sites by about 100 x
These bad sites (meaning riddled with Virus and Malware and lots more) are the known: Gaming; P0rn; Movies; Music; Pictures; Spam; 1llegal; Underground; Dark sites (and this list can be truly never ending)
Sadly this is where most of the P2P and torrents are generally downloaded from

So who cares, you say; you have all your Antivirus and AntiMalwares and Firewalls up to date.
Oh, that's right your Firewall was totally (100%) bypassed, as per the facts above
Oh the Virus and Malwares are hidden deep inside the programs and are not picked up
Oh yer the other Peer on my shared folder (or drive) has full access
Oh all my identifying info, including IP; Location; OS; Browser; Name is all sent out too :(
Who cares again? Well this is the crunch. Most of these free programs and software and data, is generally cr@cked, and also includes Time bombs; and malware that can fully remove all defense and security software from your computer. Making it totally defenseless, allowing all your private data to be sent out to others

Hmm, no wonder users who use P2P generally get infected by Trojans Rootkits etc
And no wonder that they are bombarded with Spam emails and generally inevitably having corrupted Windows software
Why do they do this? Because there's money to be made from selling your private information, especially to sales companies. Or it's an individual who just wants to hack you.

My recommendation: Uninstall ;)

I never recommend the use of P2P software on the internet as it is an open and unsecure network. P2P software is only safe on closed loop networks where all nodes are known to be virus free.

You beat me to it kimsland! I was going to quote the excellent write up by kritius also.

P2P can be safe, but if you don't know what your doing I too recommend pulling it off the system. I never use Limewire and won't allow that to be installed on none of my systems. If you need to use P2P build a system or use an older one and make that have heavy duty protection meaning set protection to the max. Just way too many script kiddies out there that can take over one system and cause issues.

P2P programs are like downloading a virus onto your computer

Limewire is a constant problem with the machines being brought into my workshop, people just won't listen >.<

I was an avid user of LimeWire until my backup PC crashed. Lucky for me, it was only a backup and I just simply reinstalled Windows 98 / 2000 and now I just keep it around for my nephew to play some of those old DOS and Win32 games that I had laying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back