Should I create a separate drive partition just for .iso files or do I just need a better defragger?

Win XP defragger is having a hard time defragging external USB 2TB drive because of the back up .iso image files on it. What do you think about the cause of this problem and possible solutions? Diskeeper?

CORRECTION!

I just realized the actual file type causing this issue is .mrimg , a back up image file created by Macrium Reflect. Some of the big .iso files I have seem to stress the defragger, but at least they're not completely crashing XP and the drive. I end up having to unplug the drive to get XP responding again, even to reboot. I'm pretty convinced it's the .mrinmg file. Not sure if I should create a separate partition just for them, or get a better defragger.

Google for Defraggler - - an excellent tool.

run the analysis and then Veiw files to see what was found.

Personally, I don't defrag the whole disk - - just programs, DLLs & drivers - - the pieces which impact runtime performance. The File List can be sorted by location to give some insight to what you are seeing.

Defragging user data files is a waste of time - - every time you change it, it just fragments again.
If one was obsessive on defrag, then adding R/O files might make some sense too.

Hi mef1975,

You mentioned Diskeeper in your initial post, so I'd like to expand on this a bit.

The built-in Windows defrag tool wasn't built to handle large files and has very basic functions. Diskeeper on the other hand, contains specific technologies to handle this. Our Terabyte Volume Engine® technology, found in Diskeeper 12 Professional, will rapidly optimize large files on any HDD connected to your computer.

Additionally, to jobeard's point, I agree - using the built-in defragmenter to defrag user data files is a waste of time - because it will just fragment again shortly thereafter. However, our IntelliWrite® technology actually prevents fragmentation before it occurs. This means that after you install it, Diskeeper will not just handle the fragmentation you currently have and boost performance, but will also proactively prevent fragmentation in the future.

Hope this helps!

Alex Klein
Condusiv Technologies (Formerly Diskeeper Corp)

However, our IntelliWrite® technology actually prevents fragmentation before it occurs. This means that after you install it, Diskeeper will not just handle the fragmentation you currently have and boost performance, but will also proactively prevent fragmentation in the future.
SWEET!
  • 1) find existing size
  • 2) allocate a new SPACE of that size (fseek)
  • 3) copy blocks from old to new
  • 4) rename old (for safety)
  • 5) rename new become the old
  • 6) delete (4)
New file is now contiguous

Back