Shutdown after first recovery disc

Status
Not open for further replies.
HP dv5215us laptop
1.8 GHz AMD Turion CPU
1GB DDR RAM Memory
250GB WD Scorpio HDD (Upgraded from stock 80GB Seagate HDD)
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Bought in August of 2006

Recently I had to do some work on the power jack, the battery wouldn't hold a charge and it would die in about 15 seconds off the charger. Also I would have to wiggle the plug to the laptop around for it to get a good connection and keep charging. The insulation around the wiring had melted and the actual wire was corroded to the point where it just broke off. So I stripped the insulation back to get some new wire, and then soldered that back to the power jack and wrapped that in some electrical tape so it had some insulation.

Now after that fix, I don't have to wiggle the plug around at all, but the battery still won't hold a charge. So I might need a new battery, but I'm ok with just leaving it plugged in all the time. I have a new laptop now, so I transferred all of my files to the new laptop and wanted to take the HP back to factory settings so I can give it to my cousin so he has a computer for school. But whenever I try to use the recovery discs, it shuts down after the first disc is completed and asks me to insert the second. I thought maybe it was overheating, but the computer isn't even warm to the touch. Then I used Ubuntu Live CD to format the HDD so it was almost like installing on a fresh HDD, but it still would shut down after the first recovery disc.

Any suggestions on how to keep the computer on after the first recovery disc? I haven't tried to just do a fresh install of Windows XP Home Edition, but I would really like to have Windows XP Media Center back on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back