SimCity Review: Real or Simulated Disaster?

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/646-simcity/]https://www.techspot.com/review/646-simcity/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Megapolis on Facebook and Android tablets can access this Sim City clone pretty much more like how the old Sim City was. There is nothing fancy about Megrapolis, it has 3D plus animation and a lot of it. There is no trains. There are traffic moving and you build along the way.

Im with ya Mike.

For me, the initial play went down perfectly. It unlocked on Origin right at 3 AM (Eastern). It loaded in about 45 minutes and I was off. I got a good start at learning the basics and went on from there. I get up to get some coffe and its daylight.

I shut everything down and go to bed. That was Wednesday morning and since then I have play maybe 2 hours as of 1:30 tonight. But then I make a last dithch effort to play again and it loaded up fast and started without a hitch. That was almost 3 hours ago and so far all is well. I checked the server list and only 1 was listed as busy so lets keep our fingers crossed.

Dave

EA games are always some of the best I've ever played, but they really suck at everything that isn't a part of the actual game.

I'm sorry but this isn't SimCity.
When you put a 2x2km restrain then it stops being a city simulation. Performance issues for end users is just big fat lie.
I'm so glad that I never preorder or buy at launch all of these broken games. They should be ashamed.

This article just validated every single complaint about forcing multiplayer and always-connected DRM into single-player games. A shame the author can only see the symptoms rather than the disease. I guess nostalgia can give you a blind spot sometimes. RIP Simcity, another victim of EA's greed and incompetence.

Wait a sec? I can't create my own city and manage my own trash, police, fire, medical and education system while trying to maximize property values?

Instead I can only control small plots of a larger world that other people have control of?

PASS.

Here's a tip guys go to steam and download sim city 4, challenging, looks good, and our modern processors barely have to work to make a massive city, I remember this game crushing my 2ghz pentium 4 back in the day until I got my 3.8ghz chip I couldn't build a city over 400,000 people and a certain size.

Amazon have suspended sales, Simcity was and should be a single player game.

Sadly looks like im going to have to wait for a pirate version to play the game properly....

Here's a tip guys go to steam and download sim city 4, challenging, looks good, and our modern processors barely have to work to make a massive city, I remember this game crushing my 2ghz pentium 4 back in the day until I got my 3.8ghz chip I couldn't build a city over 400,000 people and a certain size.

I'd like to say thats a good idea, but even though our processors are massively faster I still find the game starts to run into problems past the 250k pop mark. You'd think i7 @ 4.2GHz would run this like butter, but it just doesn't. The game was coded to use a single core, and not much ram. Big cities just get too frustrating to manage when it take minutes to get from one end to the other.

This new SimCity is a joke, EA couldn't figure out how to make it fun smooth on big tiles, so lets use small 4km squared ones. EA doing what they do best when developing titles, if you can't get it to work, remove it or reduce features. Anyone interested should try Cities XL, it makes up a lot of ground on SimCity 4 and runs pretty well, nice textures, can zoom in to street view. Overall a better game IMO.

No, no... Your favourite EA does everything perfectly. It's us, the whiners, the minority who's talking nonsense and whinning again.

I agree with you. I have an i5-3570K with a good video card and SC4 still doesn't run smoothly. It was simply poorly programmed at it's time.

In regards to the new "SimCity". What a joke! I bought the game on launch day and it ran fine on Tuesday but the city size limit is tiny. I'm not exaggerating, the plot sizes are very very small. I agree with a lot of other users in that it should be called SimTown or SimVille even. This is not a city building game if your population can't surpass 250,000 people. And no Subways! C'mon

Very well written, and exactly how I feed.

I grew up on sim city 2000, and I have loved every version since, but I'm afraid to purchase this one.

Does no one not play 007, ssx, burnout, battlefield, mass effect, moh, dragon age, or need for speed?

EA games seems to have issues. All they say they're working on the issues but can't figure out how to solve the issues. Thanks you for trying out our demo games!

So there isn't much negativity about the game itself as far as gameplay goes, but just the issues surrounding it like the drm stuff?

Well I sure as hell would not expect this, especially from EA, but everyone gets a free game for their troubles.

So there isn't much negativity about the game itself as far as gameplay goes, but just the issues surrounding it like the drm stuff?

No. In fact I would already rate it as the best simulation I have ever played. It is really a fantastic game.

Dave

Back